GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 02:35 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start

Hi CL GXrs...

Now that the temps have fallen way below freezing.. (Currently -7 in chicago!) was wondering if anyone has found a tried and true solution for the installation of a remote starter.....

I remember a few years back someone mentioning a remote starter.. but I think you needed a spare key fob... and I believe it wasn't "recommended" by Lexus.. not sure, I may be off on this..

Anyway, would love to be able to start the truck before getting in during this winter blast.
- How about you guys in upper Michigan, Minn, or Canada...... What are you guys using?

thanks
STL2CHI
2005 Meridian Blue - non sport
all options w/ KDDS
Old 02-05-07, 03:04 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Viper 791VX. Have it professionally installed. Not the cheapest, but definitely one of the best out there. TRUST ME ON THIS: It will be the best investment you made on your SUV (especially if it's left outside!).

I have it on my LS, IS and GX (and a Ford F-250SD).
Old 02-05-07, 06:44 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Love having a remote start - I have a Commando with the remote entry http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=4724

It is an additional fob that has remote start and lock unlock. They all use the hidden key to override the security and allow it to start - I used the valet key in mine.
Old 02-05-07, 08:55 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stl2chi
Hi CL GXrs...

Now that the temps have fallen way below freezing.. (Currently -7 in chicago!) was wondering if anyone has found a tried and true solution for the installation of a remote starter.....

I remember a few years back someone mentioning a remote starter.. but I think you needed a spare key fob... and I believe it wasn't "recommended" by Lexus.. not sure, I may be off on this..

Anyway, would love to be able to start the truck before getting in during this winter blast.
- How about you guys in upper Michigan, Minn, or Canada...... What are you guys using?

thanks

STL2CHI
2005 Meridian Blue - non sport
all options w/ KDDS
I have a Viper security system with remote start. It works great. My installer used my valet key to install the system. It is flawless. If you want the name of my installer or specific details, let me know.
Old 02-06-07, 08:13 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

This sounds pretty cool to me, especially working off of the factory key remote.

LuxLink Remote Start is a great feature to add to any vehicle! Put an end to a freezing seat or an exhaustingly hot interior by starting your car BEFORE you get in it. LuxLink works with the factory remote key where most other remote starters require the use of an additional remote control.

How It Works: Simply press the "lock" button three times to remotely start the vehicle.

Features: * Uses your FACTORY REMOTE!
* Don't get burned by a hot seat! Remote Start to pre-cool your vehicle!
* Automatic 15 minute cut-off while remote operation.
* Safety feature prevents vehicle from being driven unless key is in the ignition.
* While in remote operation, steering wheel remains locked for security.
* Designed for automatic transmission vehicles, not available for manual transmission.
* 4 Year Warranty (from original Date of Purchase)
Old 02-06-07, 12:06 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
This sounds pretty cool to me, especially working off of the factory key remote.

LuxLink Remote Start is a great feature to add to any vehicle! Put an end to a freezing seat or an exhaustingly hot interior by starting your car BEFORE you get in it. LuxLink works with the factory remote key where most other remote starters require the use of an additional remote control.

How It Works: Simply press the "lock" button three times to remotely start the vehicle.

Features: * Uses your FACTORY REMOTE!
* Don't get burned by a hot seat! Remote Start to pre-cool your vehicle!
* Automatic 15 minute cut-off while remote operation.
* Safety feature prevents vehicle from being driven unless key is in the ignition.
* While in remote operation, steering wheel remains locked for security.
* Designed for automatic transmission vehicles, not available for manual transmission.
* 4 Year Warranty (from original Date of Purchase)
Do you have the link to their website?
Old 02-06-07, 12:36 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the LuxLink Remote Starter shut off the car when you enter it. I have the newer generation Toyota RS3200 remote starter on my other car. Starting the car is the same procedure. While the car is started, if you enter the car by unlocking the doors with key fob, the engine will stop. You need to start the engine again which is a PITA.
Old 02-06-07, 12:59 PM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by llcc1975
Do you have the link to their website?
http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/luxl...mote_start.php
Old 02-06-07, 04:43 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default Luxlink??

Ok.. sounds nice.... Has anyone had this installed on their GX?
If so, how much was the total install?

Are you pleased with it?

thanks
STL2CHI
Old 02-07-07, 08:57 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

I emailed the company and this is the reply they sent me:

Hi Jason,

I believe the 07 models still uses a key to start the car. If so the remote starter is $275 and if you like it also comes with an additional alarm upgrade which is $350 with the remote starter. Currently we are working on detail instruction for this model and can provide picture of the install and a set of basics installation instruction to install the unit. We also offer tech support Mon-Fri 8am-6pm if you need any help install the unit or have tech question.

Douglas Quach
Parts/Internet Director
LMW/LMS
www.luxurymotorworks.com
www.lmspower.com
227 W. Chestnut Ave.
MonroviaCA91016
Tel: (626) 256-4849
Fax: (626) 358-2165
Old 02-08-07, 05:26 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

On their website, I noticed they said that even a Lexus dealer could install their products if you can't bring it to them. I question that claim as I know that my personal experience with the local Lexus dealers has taught me that they are very very suspicious of any third party products and generally won't touch them. Did they mention anything else about installing to you?

Heck, I got my wrist slapped for putting in Hella fog light bulbs to replace my OEM bulbs.
Old 02-08-07, 08:10 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

I would be concerned (or at the least, curious) about the range of the LuxLink. If it's using the existing remote, you're not going to be able to start your GX very far away.

Here's another vote for the Viper 791. About $700 professionally installed with alarm and remote 2-way starter (the LED remote shows that the car is actually running, plus shows if there's a break-in). Farthest I've been able to start it is a little over 1/4 mile. Starts easily through 5 walls in my home.

Another thing to consider is the battery life of the LuxLink. Since you'll be using your remote 3 times more often (press 3 times to start), that will probably significantly shorten battery life. Vipers take 2 AAA's and are exchangable in about 1 minute.
Old 02-09-07, 02:55 PM
laynlow
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the remote start installed right now at my Lexus dealer and there is no additional key required.
Old 02-09-07, 09:15 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laynlow
I'm having the remote start installed right now at my Lexus dealer and there is no additional key required.
Is it the luxlink model? If not, which one is it?
Old 02-10-07, 03:56 AM
laynlow
Driver School Candidate

I'm picking it up at 9:30 this morning, I'll get the details and let you know.

Quick Reply: Remote start