GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 09:00 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVocate
Actually the Xreas and the KDSS systems are very different in their function. The Xreas is a Dynamic Shock system, and the KDSS is a dynamic Stabilizer system. The Xreas adjusts the amount of shock travel dynamically, and the KDSS allows the constraints of the Torsion Bar to relax which give greater wheel travel at low speeds. The benefit is the KDSS has a super stiff anti-roll feature which removes most body lean in cornering (the shock adjustment is a different feature in the GX).
That is the one example of divergent thinking when you buy a luxury versus utilitarian design. The Lexus line uses that type of feature (among others) to differentiate between the two car companies. Not just the chassis platform. Having about 3 inches more headroom in the GX is something you could NEVER modify into a 4Runner (well, not without gutting the driver seat anyway). To bad the GX does not have 6 way articulation on the Passenger side. But, I guess you have to get rid of the Nav Disc for that to happen.
I guess you miss read my post, I never compared Xreas with KDSS. I just stated that the Xreas on the 4runner SE was a great feature that made the 4runner handle like a champ on and off road. I've driven the GX with the KDSS feature, but it is not on the majority of GX's and when you find it on one the price of the GX is close to what you would pay for a new LC. Yes the GX has more head room and that is because it has a different body even though it shares the same frame and drivetrain with the 4runner. Both are nice vehicles, for my purposes I felt the 4runner SE V8 gave me the looks, power and handling for a bang for the buck price that the GX could not come close too.
Old 02-26-07, 07:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I disgaree, I think the GX is a better buy considering all the extra features and the quality of the material used. When I was shopping for a SUV last year. It came down to the 4Runner limited and the GX. The GX was 4500 dollars more, I pick the GX becuase of smoother quieter ride and the material used on the GX was far superior compare to the 4Runner.

Since you already have a LX, I can understand why you bought the 4Runner instead of the GX.
Old 02-26-07, 08:18 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I disgaree, I think the GX is a better buy considering all the extra features and the quality of the material used. When I was shopping for a SUV last year. It came down to the 4Runner limited and the GX. The GX was 4500 dollars more, I pick the GX becuase of smoother quieter ride and the material used on the GX was far superior compare to the 4Runner.

Since you already have a LX, I can understand why you bought the 4Runner instead of the GX.
I totally agree with your decision to buy the GX compared to the limited. I think you get a lot more for your money with the GX compared to the limited, the fact that its a Lexus is worth a lot just on resale. I was talkin about the 4runner SE V8, with standard features, cloth seat, etc. I got a great platform, the great V8 engine the Xreas shocks for under $30K out the door. At that time the cheapest GX I could find was in the $50K asking range. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 02-26-07, 09:15 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I owned 4R SE V8 for two years and traded and got GX with KDSS. The main reason for the switch was better ride, better cornering, better material etc. My 4R interior started showing looseness and didn't like those plastic type of material. On the other hand, my other car ES (with 81K miles), interior still looks like new car, no rattle, no loose joint etc.

As far as handling of 4R with XRES and GX with KDSS, I would say GX is far superior. To go to my house, I need to take an exit from high way which needs sharp turning. I always feel the 'body roll' on 4R and never felt the same with GX. It takes the same turn like my car does!. I purchased this GX fully loaded for $41.5K (2005 model with 12K miles!). We may be able to get GX for 5-10K more with less mile but still with new car smell . I personnaly feel, it will be a better choice in a long run. 4R SE doesn't come with leather seats, 3rd row seat, KDSS, ML, backup camera, NAV, DVD etc. Considering all these and the better material and workman ship still worth those extra bucks.
Old 02-26-07, 01:07 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by satiger
I owned 4R SE V8 for two years and traded and got GX with KDSS. The main reason for the switch was better ride, better cornering, better material etc. My 4R interior started showing looseness and didn't like those plastic type of material. On the other hand, my other car ES (with 81K miles), interior still looks like new car, no rattle, no loose joint etc.

As far as handling of 4R with XRES and GX with KDSS, I would say GX is far superior. To go to my house, I need to take an exit from high way which needs sharp turning. I always feel the 'body roll' on 4R and never felt the same with GX. It takes the same turn like my car does!. I purchased this GX fully loaded for $41.5K (2005 model with 12K miles!). We may be able to get GX for 5-10K more with less mile but still with new car smell . I personnaly feel, it will be a better choice in a long run. 4R SE doesn't come with leather seats, 3rd row seat, KDSS, ML, backup camera, NAV, DVD etc. Considering all these and the better material and workman ship still worth those extra bucks.
The only "better material and workmanship" is in the interior. You pay for that in the extra $$$. Most GX's are nonKDS and don't ride and handle as well as the 4runner with Xreas. My LX470 suspension is superior to the LC suspension and the interior is nicer. I paid for that but the LC is just as good of a vehicle for less $$$ then my LX470. Its all about what someone wants in a vehicle.
Old 02-27-07, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Believe it or not, most people who buy the GX doesnt care about handling, If they did, they would get the KDSS. Better material are on the outside as well, better paint job and better head/tail lights. LX470 does have a nice ride, but its not much bigger than the GX and it cost $20000 more. I could not figure out how they charge $20000 for a SUV thats just a little better, however, I can justify the $4000 difference between the 4Runner limited and the GX.
Old 02-27-07, 07:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Believe it or not, most people who buy the GX doesnt care about handling, If they did, they would get the KDSS. Better material are on the outside as well, better paint job and better head/tail lights. LX470 does have a nice ride, but its not much bigger than the GX and it cost $20000 more. I could not figure out how they charge $20000 for a SUV thats just a little better, however, I can justify the $4000 difference between the 4Runner limited and the GX.

I think you need to get under a LX/LC and then get under a GX, also the LX is only a little bigger (dimensions) then the GX but it weighs close to 800 lbs more, that weight is put into heavier build quality. The LC/LX is a purpose built SUV that is used all over the world in the worst off road conditions, it is made to hande the worst. True most owners in the USA will never come close to testing the limits of a LC/LX, but its there. Kind of like comparing a GS to a LS, both our nice vehicles. I've owned a 95 LC, 99 LC, 2004 4runner SE V8 and now the LX470. All quality vehicles its all about what you want in a vehicle. I personally always felt the 4runner was the more rugged sporty version and the GX470 was more of the "RICH" soccer mom version, that could also be based on who I see driving them most of the time?? They are all great vehicles, enjoy what you have.

Last edited by Max707; 02-27-07 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-27-07, 10:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I know the platform difference between the LX and the GX. For most of us who dont go off road, we cannot even come close to testing the limits of the GX, never mine a LX. In my opinion, I think is crazy to take a $70000 vehicle off raod.
Old 02-27-07, 08:21 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I think is crazy to take a $70000 vehicle off raod.
Got to agree, mine is a mall queen