GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 01:09 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX Reliability

There does not seem to be a lot of discussion on the GX forum compared to the others.

Is that because they sell so few of these trucks?

I was wondering about reliablity. Since the GX is based on the 4Runner I assume the reliability to be quite high. Also, there seems to be very few complaints if any about the GX on this forum which is a good sign.

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-07, 06:05 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GX made the forbes "Most Reliable Luxury Cars 2007" list:
http://www.forbes.com/home/2007/02/0...hisSpeed=15000

As far as selling so few... I am not up on the figures, but in South FL it seems like I see one every couple of minutes on the road.
Old 02-09-07, 09:14 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
There does not seem to be a lot of discussion on the GX forum compared to the others.

I was wondering about reliablity. Since the GX is based on the 4Runner I assume the reliability to be quite high. Also, there seems to be very few complaints if any about the GX on this forum which is a good sign.

Thoughts?
In 2006, Lexus sold 25,454 GX470s. In 2006 Lexus sold 108,348 RX350s and 400hs.

Of course, this is not to say that Lexus sold that many of its other models but the GX is just not as high a volume model as some of its others and coupled with the fact that it's only been around since 2003 model year, there just aren't as many out there. But I'm sure there are other reasons for this too.

As for reliability, we bought ours because of its reputation for reliability and the overall Toyota reputation for building reliable cars. Our 2005 has 33000 miles and so far, it's really not had any problems (nor did the prior owner according to the repair records).
Old 02-10-07, 06:11 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

the gx is sold overseas as the toyota land cruiser prado, in fact, the prado has been around much longer than the gx. these vehicles dont have any issues to speak of, other than the clunk which is more a nuissance than a break-down issue
Old 02-10-07, 04:14 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbodean
the gx is sold overseas as the toyota land cruiser prado, in fact, the prado has been around much longer than the gx. these vehicles dont have any issues to speak of, other than the clunk which is more a nuissance than a break-down issue
I was aware of that. However, as to the original question of why there does not happen to be as many discussion topics on the GX470 forum versus some of the other models, the GX has really only been in "existence" since 2003 MY, which could be a factor for why there are not as many registered members and discussion topics in this particular forum.
Old 02-10-07, 08:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by widlfiresd

Thoughts?
Enthusiasts flock to the internet and are more likely to look for forums based on "fun" cars are cars sold in the hundreds of thousands.

The GX forum is pretty active, considering
1. Entry level price is high
2. Its a SUV
3. Its a Lexus

Kudos to those members that post here b/c your HARDCORE!!!
Old 02-12-07, 11:03 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llcc1975
I was aware of that. However, as to the original question of why there does not happen to be as many discussion topics on the GX470 forum versus some of the other models, the GX has really only been in "existence" since 2003 MY, which could be a factor for why there are not as many registered members and discussion topics in this particular forum.
sorry, my reply was not to you, but to the OP regarding the issue of GX reliability
Old 02-12-07, 11:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX same as the 4runner does not have too many posting regarding reliability because it is in the top ten as far as reliability is concern. If you want to read forums regarding reliability, go to the Range Rover forum, there are plenty of posting their on that topic.
Old 02-12-07, 09:57 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbodean
sorry, my reply was not to you, but to the OP regarding the issue of GX reliability
No apology necessary as no offense was taken on my part. Thanks though.
Old 02-16-07, 05:20 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned Mercedes for many years before jumping to Lexus. The Benz forums are full of people complaining about the reliability. I have not found much complaining here, or in the RX330 forums. The GX has been great to us, and I will be happier when "Clunk/Thump" noise from the drivetrain is fixed. I will probably never buy another brand of automobile, except later on when my kids grow up and I get my midlife crisis 911 Carrera S .

Rich
2005 RX330
2003 GX470
Old 02-16-07, 06:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The GX same as the 4runner does not have too many posting regarding reliability because it is in the top ten as far as reliability is concern. If you want to read forums regarding reliability, go to the Range Rover forum, there are plenty of posting their on that topic.
GX is not actually same as 4Runner.... 4Runner V8 is only one that is mechanically very similar to GX, others are based on simplified Prado platform and use different suspension.

Europe sells around 30,000 Prado's per year, and it is the most problem free Toyota we have. We got one with 150,000 miles and it is perfect. Close you eyes, and you wouldnt know if that car had 10 or 150,000 miles.

We now plan to keep it forever, just to show to the customers how reliable Toyota's are...
Old 02-16-07, 08:18 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
GX is not actually same as 4Runner.... 4Runner V8 is only one that is mechanically very similar to GX, others are based on simplified Prado platform and use different suspension.

Europe sells around 30,000 Prado's per year, and it is the most problem free Toyota we have. We got one with 150,000 miles and it is perfect. Close you eyes, and you wouldnt know if that car had 10 or 150,000 miles.

We now plan to keep it forever, just to show to the customers how reliable Toyota's are...
Only difference between the V8 4runner and the GX470 is sheet metal and interior design on the basic vehicles. Drivetrain is identical.
Old 02-16-07, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The 4runner V8 with the optional air suspension is the very similar to the GX470. All 4runners and GX shares the same platform which is related to the Land Cruiser Prado, suspension differ from model to model and different trims.
http://www.***********.com/ja/runhist42003.html
Old 02-16-07, 11:59 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 4runner V8 with the optional air suspension is the very similar to the GX470. All 4runners and GX shares the same platform which is related to the Land Cruiser Prado, suspension differ from model to model and different trims.
http://www.***********.com/ja/runhist42003.html
Your right Gman, bought the wife a V8 4runner SE back in 2004, I was also looking at the GX470 and did a ton of research comparing them, the platform is identical. On the SE the Xreas cross shock set-up is great. It handled better on rutted fire roads then my 99 Landcruiser that had bilsteins. I'm sure my 2004 LX470 with the hydro suspension would be on par on these same fire roads but I can't compare them since I lost the 4runner in the divorce
Old 02-23-07, 04:08 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool True, there is a similarity in one thing ... they are options

Originally Posted by Max707

Your right Gman, bought the wife a V8 4runner SE back in 2004, I was also looking at the GX470 and did a ton of research comparing them, the platform is identical. On the SE the Xreas cross shock set-up is great. It handled better on rutted fire roads then my 99 Landcruiser that had bilsteins. I'm sure my 2004 LX470 with the hydro suspension would be on par on these same fire roads but I can't compare them since I lost the 4runner in the divorce
Actually the Xreas and the KDSS systems are very different in their function. The Xreas is a Dynamic Shock system, and the KDSS is a dynamic Stabilizer system. The Xreas adjusts the amount of shock travel dynamically, and the KDSS allows the constraints of the Torsion Bar to relax which give greater wheel travel at low speeds. The benefit is the KDSS has a super stiff anti-roll feature which removes most body lean in cornering (the shock adjustment is a different feature in the GX).
That is the one example of divergent thinking when you buy a luxury versus utilitarian design. The Lexus line uses that type of feature (among others) to differentiate between the two car companies. Not just the chassis platform. Having about 3 inches more headroom in the GX is something you could NEVER modify into a 4Runner (well, not without gutting the driver seat anyway). To bad the GX does not have 6 way articulation on the Passenger side. But, I guess you have to get rid of the Nav Disc for that to happen.

Quick Reply: GX Reliability