GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Poor ride after Clunk TSB...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 06:25 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor ride after Clunk TSB...

Got the clunk fixed recently and now that I have driven it over the weekend (highway/city), I noticed the car riders stiffer - MUCH stiffer - to the point of feeling small bumps/ruts. Yes it handles better in turns but the ride quality is way POOR so the tradeoff is not good.

Not sure if the ride will ever return to normal but I am taking it back to see what can be done on this....the ride is simply unacceptable in my view and feeling every road imperfection is not my idea of Lexus ride quality. The thump was a minor annoyance but certainly better option than the current ride......

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE IF THE RIDE RETUNS TO NORMAL OVER TIME OR AFTER X MILES.....thanks
Old 03-11-07, 09:12 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the dealer took a short cut on the repair and didn't normalize the suspension prior to tightening up the suspension control arms. Tell them to follow the procedure as it's called for in the TSIB.
Old 03-14-07, 12:52 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Thanks - I did take the car back and they did normalize/ stablize the suspension...did make a difference in better ride quality - ride height was also off and that was also adjusted....will drive it for next few days ....also drove a '04 GX with 45k miles for comparison....very bad thump/clunk...dealer noted clunk gets worse with time if not fixed.....
Old 03-14-07, 01:40 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
Thanks - I did take the car back and they did normalize/ stablize the suspension...did make a difference in better ride quality - ride height was also off and that was also adjusted....will drive it for next few days ....also drove a '04 GX with 45k miles for comparison....very bad thump/clunk...dealer noted clunk gets worse with time if not fixed.....
Glad to hear it made a difference. Many dealers service personnel are in such a hurry to move on to the next job, that they often overlook the little things that make a big difference.
Old 03-15-07, 10:32 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about to say...I was happy after my CLUNK was fixed. Happy to say that I didn't have your problem...i'm lucky to have found a good dealer in my area.

Glad that you got your problem worked out.
Old 04-12-07, 09:38 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the clunk fixed recently and now that I have driven it over the weekend (highway/city), I noticed the car riders stiffer - MUCH stiffer - to the point of feeling small bumps/ruts. Yes it handles better in turns but the ride quality is way POOR so the tradeoff is not good.

Not sure if the ride will ever return to normal but I am taking it back to see what can be done on this....the ride is simply unacceptable in my view and feeling every road imperfection is not my idea of Lexus ride quality. The thump was a minor annoyance but certainly better option than the current ride......

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE IF THE RIDE RETUNS TO NORMAL OVER TIME OR AFTER X MILES.....thanks
GGGXXX.....

I had the exact experience as you. I took the truck back and was told to put the ride-selector to the softest position, that the ride would get better in time.

However, the ride did not get better, possibly worse. I took the truck back and was told the same thing as before. However, I insisted they check on the problem. Told them of the normalizing possibility.

Later that day they called and said that they had ordered parts and if it was OK to leave the truck for another day. I said, yes.

Well, they replaced 2 Rear Shock Absorber Assemblies. The truck now rides like new.

~ Cap
Old 04-12-07, 05:40 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cap - Wish I had seen your reply a couple of days ago.

I took mine back and told them that the ride had gotten really bad after the TSB - I feel every bump and afterwards the GX rocks up and down. I mentioned the normalization. I had the TSB done about 1000 miles ago last November.

Basically they told me that they checked everything and it was "normal". They claimed they looked and rode it and it rides like all the other GXs. Before this I could go over speed bumps without notice; now I wince when I hit a road patch.

They also said it couldn't be the shocks or it would be more obvious.

I actually did get to speak to the tech and he seemed to know about the GX and the TSBs, so I don't know what to think.
Old 04-12-07, 06:00 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Cap - interesting - seems like you had the same issue but a different fix ....

Silverlady - my ride was like yours - completely unacceptable drive after the TSB - felt every bump/ rear air suspension seemed non existent/ just a real poor ride. After 2 days took the car back in - asked snr tech to normalize/ stabilize suspension per feedback on this board - per BOBGX on this thread (they had to loosen the bolts/ stablize the suspension and then retighten I believe/ put it up on the wheel alignment lift I believe...) - a world of difference right after the ride....felt great.... the guy understood what stabilizing meant.....apparently you need to talk to someone who knows how to stabilize/ normalize

Last edited by GGGXXX; 04-12-07 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 07:34 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cap - interesting - seems like you had the same issue but a different fix ....
GGGXXX.....

I suspect that all that was needed on my truck was the Normalization that you mentioned.

Can't figure out how in the heck the Shock Absorbers went bad immediately upon the Drive Shaft and Control Arms being replaced.

When I took the truck in for the clunk, the truck rode fine, except for the occasional clunk.

~ Cap
Old 04-13-07, 05:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I suspect that they change the shocks under warrenty so they can get paid by Lexus for Normalizing the control arms. Otherwise it would be hard to explain to Lexus how they mess up the TSB the 1st time.
Old 04-13-07, 06:18 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I suspect that they change the shocks under warrenty so they can get paid by Lexus for Normalizing the control arms. Otherwise it would be hard to explain to Lexus how they mess up the TSB the 1st time.
Would the folks who had a bad experience after their TSB fix please write down for us exactly what to tell our service tech to check for or do to make sure the ride is perfect after the clunk is gone? I am a little confused.
Old 05-02-07, 12:34 PM
HRMommyof2
Driver School Candidate

Which dealership in VA did the work? Was it Pohanka? I'm trying to decide whether or not to take mine in for the clunk.