GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus RX350 vs GX470

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 11:40 AM
bamaboy007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX350 vs GX470

Of those out there who own either a RX350 or a GX470 what are your opinions on the differences between the two? Did you consider both? Why did you pick the one you picked? I like the overall exterior appearence of the GX but I am having a hard time getting over the "dated" look of the interior. Whereas the RX inside is relatively new and upgraded. I am also curious as to the difference that GX owners see in the non-HID headlights. (I can't belive that Lexus has not added this to the GX yet...come on it is 2007) Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-27-07, 12:44 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They are very different, and different-feeling, vehicles so you really need to drive them both if you haven't. GX feels more like a very solid truck, and RX feels more like a car, IMO.

IMO, HID lights are way over-rated unless you're comparing them to something with s**tty lights to begin with, such as a Dodge Charger with its key-fob-flashlight strength lights (they truely suck). I have HID, projectors, or whatever they are on my LS and if you say they aren't the same as the the GX, then I accept that as fact, but I've never noticed any lack of lighting from the GX. Same is true with the '95 Supra (stock lights in good condition, no oxidized lenses, etc) -- I have no complaints at all with the headlight light performance on that car either. It seems to me to come down to the quality and design of the light moreso than what type of light it is. :shrug:
Old 03-27-07, 01:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My in-laws have an RX350 so we have some experience with them. As stated, the GX just feels like a truck. Feels beefier, more headroom, tad wider inside, nice V8, just planted. The RX is very nice for what it is and feels the part. Two different approaches and one would surely fit the bill if the other does not.
Both have some nice features with some trade offs though to reiterate others, there is no excuse for Lexus to not install HIDs on the GX period. These lights are no match for the HID's in the RX and my SC430. Not even close. That said, $300.00 will take care of that though auto leveling will still be absent.

I highly recommend driving both to determine what your really want/need as much of what you will receive here will be subjective.
Old 03-27-07, 07:48 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06GX470 and an 07RX350, so I am very familiar with both.

First of all, they are very different vehicles. The GX is a luxurious 4WD truck with low gear and locking differentials, the RX is essentially an AWD hatchback. The GX with rear seats can seat up to 8 (although I could have made great Utube videos of people getting in and out of those rear seats the last few days ). The RX seats 5, or 4 comfortably.

I use mostly the GX for: longer trips (say over 30 miles), trips with more passengers, more cargo space, bad weather like storms, ice and snow, and other than regular roads (campgrounds, muddy lots, etc.).

I use the RX for: Shorter trips, regular shopping, school pickups, sports pickups for 5 or less, etc.

The GX is more comfortable, especially for extended driving, but the RX is better handling around turns and easier to park. Both have Nav, so that is a wash. The RX has better gas milage on paper, but I have not found the two to be that different. Both have good acceleration - The GX is more powerful but the RX is peppy enough.

They are both good vehicles. If I had to own one, it would be the GX.
Old 03-27-07, 07:53 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah, you asked about the headlights. The GX headlights are OK, but not all that great. A bit on the weak side.

The RX HIDs ARE much brighter, which is good. However, I do find the laser-like lack of diffusion somewhat annoying - anything outside the beam is very hard to see. Also, the leveling is a bit lacking, or maybe I am not used to it - but when either the vehicle or the road ahead is at an angle the visibility gets cut off in an odd way. I probably have a preference for the HIDs, but it is nowhere the improvement I had hoped for.
Old 03-28-07, 06:43 AM
Lou19
Rookie

I went in for an RX, but spent the extra 5K (in my case) for the GX. More room, engine, and ride height. I found the RX to be sexier and had more gadgets, but I couldn't get over the winshield rake from the inside. There was enough room for a case of beer on top of the dash. Just a joke, I never D&D. It did, and still does, bother me that the RX had more options then the GX. My 2 cents.

Lou
OIF VET
42nd ID
Misfits
"Spin 'um up"
Old 03-28-07, 12:35 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I guess it is all in what you are looking for. Are you looking for a capable offroad SUV or an SUV built on a car frame that handles really well on the road? How much space do you need? Do you need to pull a boat? All these need answered first.
Old 03-28-07, 01:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think this thread saids it all:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271503
Old 03-28-07, 07:04 PM
Alpha470
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2004 GX470, and was given a RX350 for use as a loaner during service. I agree with the car vs. truck feel, but the biggest differences I noticed were that the GX470 feels much smoother on the road and also seemed MUCH quieter. I definitely prefer the GX. No opinion on the headlights.
Old 03-28-07, 08:19 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've driven both and like both, but the GX won me over. I do like the extra goodies on the RX, but the seats and ride in the GX more than make up for it. If the headlights bother you, upgrade the bulbs to some super whites and the difference between them and HIDs is much less noticable.
Old 03-29-07, 05:47 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't forget, if you care about fuel economy and efficiency, then RX is the choice. If you do plan on off-roading or camping, then GX is better.
Old 04-24-07, 01:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The RX is only 2 or 3 MPG more than the GX.
Old 04-30-07, 01:16 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

I have both, and in short, the GX is the choice vehicle of the entire family. Not only does it drive smoother, quieter, and more powerfully, but is has more cargo room and more "presence" than the more common RX (though the GX is becoming somewhat common now anyway). The onroad and offroad manners of the GX are excellent too (the RX is slightly more manageable onroad aroudn town, though I much prefer the "gliding freight-train" feel of the GX for long road trips.)

We at first weren't considering the GX due to increased price and size, but it drives much smaller than it looks, so it became a serious contender. However, we ended up with both in the end, though the GX came first.

If you can, opt for the GX loaded.
Old 05-02-07, 01:55 PM
SirSkrip
Rookie

Talking

I bought my GX a couple of months ago. The RX was what I was looking to upgrade my old 1999 Chrylser 300M to. I was in the market for a slightly used RX. What made me decide for the GX were the following reasons in order.

1) I got kids, so the GX wins. Throw the loudest kid in the 3rd row.

2) The fuel economy. Not too much difference between the RX and GX, perhaps 2 or 3 mpg more.

3) Power, a bit more powerful and a more 'cruise ship' smooth feel to the drive than an RX.

4) The GX I looked at had an TV/DVD ent system. The RX had a NAV. Again, frickin kids, the TV/DVD won them over. I didnt realize how quiet they can be now with their headphones on.
Old 05-06-07, 08:14 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

RX design is PLAYED OUT. Every time I see a new one on the road, I think, geez that person paid all that money for a vehicle that looks almost identical to the original RXs from the 90s. The design IMO isn't even that great. The GX is very nice looking but the interior (dash) needs redesigning like no tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX350 vs GX470