GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX vs Land Cruiser vs LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 09:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The bottom line is, if you are leasing, the LR3 is not a bad choice since all repairs are covered. If you plan to keep the car after its warrenty, stay away from the LR3.
When problems start, being covered under warranty is much better than NOT being covered, but nowhere nearly as nice as not having the problems in the first place. If you've ever owned a vehicle that needed to go in for warranty repairs frequently (as my last MB did) you know that one gets REALLY tired of dragging the POS back to the dealership and making the necessary arrangements to accomodate their schedule, etc. (unless you're waay more tolerant than me ).

FWIW, to the OP, my good friend here locally had a Rover and it CONSTANTLY had problems. Some of them the dealer never could fix. The driver's seat, for example, made a terrible squeaking sound and had some fore-and-aft play that they could not fix. They finally ordered a replacement seat and for NINE MONTHS the seat never arrived at the dealer. The friend finally sold the truck at a HUGE loss and bought a Toyota. Personally, there is no way I could tolerate such a POS vehicle, even if it didn't cost me any cash out of pocket to get it repaired.

To the original poster, Good luck, whatever you choose.
Old 04-01-07, 09:19 AM
Ryan818
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually went yesterday and bought a Suzuki. Not really. After seeing some other forums I think the LC is probably the best choice for my needs. It seems the GX is more for soccer moms. Thanks all.
Old 04-01-07, 10:21 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan818
It seems the GX is more for soccer moms

Good luck with the LC.
Old 04-01-07, 11:44 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I actually went yesterday and bought a Suzuki. Not really. After seeing some other forums I think the LC is probably the best choice for my needs. It seems the GX is more for soccer moms. Thanks all.
Good for you Ryan, you figured it out without anyone having to say it
Old 04-01-07, 08:55 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean the RX is more for soccer moms. When I do spot the elusive Lexus GX around here, 90% of the time, it is operated by a male.
Old 04-01-07, 09:58 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Good for you Ryan, you figured it out without anyone having to say it
Hmmm... There's a hot soccer Mom down the street driving an LX470. What does that mean?

I think Moms are driving darn near anything they want these days. I see lots of them around locally in Hummers, G500s, etc.

I personally *love* the TLC -- it's just a bit too big for my needs and I couldn't stomach the EPA ratings. I'm amazed by the mileage I'm getting in the GX. I thought I was going to take a huge hit coming from our old Pilot (now *there's* a chick suv), but it gets the same or better. Crazy.
Old 04-01-07, 10:39 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Hmmm... There's a hot soccer Mom down the street driving an LX470. What does that mean?

I think Moms are driving darn near anything they want these days. I see lots of them around locally in Hummers, G500s, etc.

I personally *love* the TLC -- it's just a bit too big for my needs and I couldn't stomach the EPA ratings. I'm amazed by the mileage I'm getting in the GX. I thought I was going to take a huge hit coming from our old Pilot (now *there's* a chick suv), but it gets the same or better. Crazy.
The RX is the soccer mom suv. But its fun pokin sticks at the animals
Old 04-02-07, 11:30 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90% of all the SUVs around here are driven by women, including the GX (RX probably closer to 98% )

The guys are usually driving the beat up sedans. When they hit mid-life crisis the wives allow some of them to get a jaguar or two seater convertable so they don't stray too much. Those who need to impress clients get a Mercedes sedan.

The nicest collection of cars and SUVs, including lots of Lexii, can be found in the Sam's Club parking lot (lots of clunker vans, too).

So much for all the expensive demographics studies these companies do - they just need to take a ride around my neighborhood.
Old 04-02-07, 01:16 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SilverLady
90% of all the SUVs around here are driven by women, including the GX (RX probably closer to 98% )

The guys are usually driving the beat up sedans. When they hit mid-life crisis the wives allow some of them to get a jaguar or two seater convertable so they don't stray too much. Those who need to impress clients get a Mercedes sedan.

The nicest collection of cars and SUVs, including lots of Lexii, can be found in the Sam's Club parking lot (lots of clunker vans, too).

So much for all the expensive demographics studies these companies do - they just need to take a ride around my neighborhood.
I had a SC430, should of gotten the SL500 but repair issues pushed me toward the Lexus. The SC is more a womans car to me then the SL but that isn't based on any studies
Old 04-03-07, 10:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The RX is definitely a woman's car, it comes with a purse compartment. The guys can put their European carry on in there as well as Seinfeld would say.
Old 04-03-07, 04:51 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to agree that all highend SUVs nowadays are driven more by women...soccer momobiles.

No one has asked...but what is YOUR off-roading experience and what do you mean by, "off-roading"?? It is hard to recommend a vehicle for "off-roading" if we don't have an idea of what you mean or experienced in the past. Pictures would help in defining what you want.
Old 04-04-07, 06:23 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I have to agree that all highend SUVs nowadays are driven more by women...soccer momobiles.

Most at my gym drive mini vans and RX's and the little Honda SU
V's only one drives a Lexus, and a couple of tahoes. I see guys in LC/LX's, RR, Esclades, etc.
Old 04-04-07, 11:13 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Yep, our GX is a glorified soccer mom mobile. Which is why I consider it my fundamental duty to steal it periodically for a vigorous off-road workout from time to time. Personally, it is hard for me to buy a vehicle with so much functional ability that we would not utilize. Why pay for something you never use?
Old 04-13-07, 10:48 AM
lexgoridin
Driver School Candidate

I real 4x4 for real fourwheeling would require any stock SUV to be slightly modified. Even a GX470 which Fourwheeler magazine did with the 2004 GX470. After getting hate mate from serious offroaders about naming the 2003-2004 GX470 4-Wheeler of the Year they proved the offroad capability by taking the GX470 on the Rubicon. After only a few mods it looked as trail ready as any SUV. See this link for the Project TraiLex: http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...customization/. Now that's my kind of Soccer Mom. And yes, the wife does drive the GX470.
Old 04-13-07, 12:36 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Lexgoridin!

Yes, the GX is great for soccer mom type stuff. I get my whole Girl Scout troop of teenage girls (6 of them) in there - although I got soaked in the rain last time waiting for them to figure out how to arrange the seats to get in. I will only take up to four of them when we have to stuff in lots of camping gear for all of us. We can go where no minvan likes to go, too!

But the real excitement isn't moderate off-roading. It is the multi-story parking garages with the low clearances.

Quick Reply: GX vs Land Cruiser vs LR3