GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX vs Land Cruiser vs LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 05:57 AM
Ryan818
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX vs Land Cruiser vs LR3

I am in the market for a new vehicle. I need one which will be capable offroad as well as perform well on road. Does anybody have any experience with these 3 vehicles?
Old 03-28-07, 06:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it helps your decision, Car and Driver just finished a $50,000 SUV comparison and the GX finished a few places above the LR3. Also, the Land Rover brand as a whole is famous for quality problems and electronic failures and has ranked at the VERY bottom of every quality or customer satisfaction survey. That is something to consider. I also recently sat in one at the autoshow, and for the price, the interior of the LR3 seems, well...like a joke. For the same price the GX slathers you in wood and leather, power this and power that, and the LR3 is nothing but hard plastic and lots of little buttons.

Have you driven them both yet? I know this is a Lexus board, but I don't see how one could buy a land rover after sitting in the GX...it's just two completely different 'utes and the Lexus is head and shoulders above in luxury, comfort, and quality.

If you aren't going to use the rear seats that much, I'd probably take the Lexus over the Land Cruiser too.
Old 03-28-07, 07:21 AM
rainmn
Driver

My closest friend has an LR3. He bought it within a few weeks of me buying my GX. The easiest way to sum up the comparison is by saying he likes my truck better, and so do I. He considered the GX, and is now sorry he decided on the Land Rover.
And yes, the Rover has already been back to the dealer several times for repair.
Old 03-28-07, 08:51 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1st Choice- GX470 with KDSS
Best off AND on road. Handles like a champ on-road, max flex off-road.

2nd- LC/non sport GX
Both are similar mechanically, i give it to the GX for better on-road handling due to size, so i'd say it comes down preference.

3rd- LR3
Honestly...I like this vehicle, great styling, awesome accessories, cool features like the terrain response, front and rear ride height, and locking diff.
But it's too bad that it doesn't really work right. LR has the worst reliability, and i cannot spend that much money on a vehicle that doesn't work right.

http://www.landroverforums.com/m_18019/tm.htm
http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...r-lr3-hse.html
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...ad.php?t=11843
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...ad.php?t=11433

btw, there's a lot more where that came from ^

Dan
Old 03-28-07, 10:02 AM
Ryan818
Driver School Candidate

I have sat in all 3 but have only driven the LR3. I agree the GX has the nicest interior. I have heard numerous times about LR reliability but I also need a vehicle that can get me into and out of the mountains. My wife has an XC90 and all wheel drive is a joke. It will not get us where we need to go. It has spent it's fair share of time in the shop but it is still a great vehicle. Does anyone have experience with the GX offroad. I don't mean mud puddles on the way to soccer practice, but actually "off road". I really like the GX but I need real offroad capability.
Old 03-28-07, 10:34 AM
Ryan818
Driver School Candidate

What about the Touareg?
Old 03-28-07, 10:47 AM
Ryan818
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a link to the Car and Driver $50k comparo? I could not find it.
Old 03-28-07, 12:04 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan818
I have sat in all 3 but have only driven the LR3. I agree the GX has the nicest interior. I have heard numerous times about LR reliability but I also need a vehicle that can get me into and out of the mountains. My wife has an XC90 and all wheel drive is a joke. It will not get us where we need to go. It has spent it's fair share of time in the shop but it is still a great vehicle. Does anyone have experience with the GX offroad. I don't mean mud puddles on the way to soccer practice, but actually "off road". I really like the GX but I need real offroad capability.
The GX was 4-wheeler-of-the-year for a couple years running in a hardcore 4wheeler magazine. It's the real deal from an offroading POV.
Old 03-28-07, 12:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Like most out there, we did not purchase the vehicle for it's off road capabilities but for a factory vehicle they are supposed to be pretty darn impressive. As stated above, 2 years running #1 off-roader.

2006 Best Resale Value
GX 470 2006 Kelley Blue Book (October 2005)

Highest Ranked Premium Luxury SUV in Initial Quality (IQS)
GX 470 2005 J.D. Power and Associates (May 2005)

2004 Four Wheeler of the Year (second year in a row)
GX 470 2004 Four Wheeler Magazine (February 2004)

2003 All-Stars Mid-Size Sport-Utility
GX 470 2003 Automobile Magazine (March 2003)

2003 Four Wheeler of the Year
GX 470 2003 Four Wheeler Magazine (February 2003)

2003 4x4 of the Year
GX 470 2003 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine (2003)

Winner! Lexus GX 470 2003 Four Wheeler of the Year

* By Craig Perronne

* Four Wheeler magazine, Vol. 40 No. 02 (February, 2003)

What's New
The new-for-'03 Lexus GX 470 shares mechanicals with the new 4Runner. However, true to the Lexus name, the GX 470 is crammed with a host of luxury features and other refinements to make it worthy of its Lexus badge. Automatic climate control, leather seating and trim, a premium audio system with a six-disc in-dash CD changer, steering-wheel audio controls, a memory system for the driver's seat, steering-wheel position and outside mirrors, along with heated front seats and an overhead console with integrated HomeLink transmitter all come as standard equipment. A wide array of luxury options are available for those looking for even more.

Powering the GX 470 is the same 4.7L V8 that is available on the 4Runner. Also carried over from the 4Runner is the traction-control system, Downhill Assist Control system, Hill-start Assist Control system and Vehicle Skid Control system, along with the other electronic systems off of the 4Runner. There is one system that's unique to the GX 470--its Adaptive Variable Suspension damping. This system enhances ride quality and handling by continuously changing each wheel's shock-absorber damping rate in response to road conditions, vehicle speed and driver steering and brake inputs.

What We Liked
Since we were big fans of the 4.7L V8 found under the hood of the 4Runner, it should come as no surprise we liked the same engine in the Lexus. With 235 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque on tap, it is able to move the GX 470 with authority.

The same mechanical aspects of the 4Runner that ranked at the top also ranked high on the Lexus. The GX 470 shared the same awesome brakes as the 4Runner and its precise and nicely weighted rack-and-pinion steering setup. Also scoring at the top was its five-speed automatic transmission, also shared with the 4Runner.

However, the Lexus surpassed the 4Runner's impressive pavement manners. Its ride on the highway was silky smooth, and it would easily gobble up irregularities without any jarring of the occupants. This great ride transferred to the trail. Another nice feature is that the GX 470's shock values are adjustable from within the cockpit. This came in handy once twisty pavement was encountered, as the shocks could be set to a firm mode, resulting in impressive handling.

Another area where the Lexus was superior to the 4Runner, and in fact everything else, was its interior. The GX 470's interior was easily the favorite of the bunch. Comfort and luxury were abundant as its leather seats offered plenty of support and adjustment. The inside of the GX 470 was a very quiet place to spend time.

What We Didn't Like
Just like the 4Runner, the Lexus was low to the ground and this was an issue on the trail. Adding insult to injury were the GX 470's running boards, which exacerbated clearance issues. In fact, by the end of the test the running boards had seen more than their share of geolithic modification. At least they remained on the vehicle. That doesn't always happen.

Another gripe was the traction-control system. As with the 4Runner, engaging this requires far too much wheelspin. This is especially an issue on slow-speed technical sections of the trail, where wheelspin never is welcomed.

The Final Verdict
This year's Four Wheeler of the Year was a slugfest that resulted in a close finish in which every point counted. So how did the Lexus GX 470 wind up winning in this field of heavy hitters? Well, the Four Wheeler of the Year competition tests a vehicle over a wide range of categories. What wins is a vehicle that is well-balanced and can do a wide variety of tasks well. The GX 470 handled every task we threw at it with ease. That's why it was voted Four Wheeler of the Year for 2003.

Check It Out If
You've got to have a ride that is the most capable, and the most comfortable.

Avoid It If
The idea of tearing up the running boards on a $53,000 SUV gives you the *******.

The Short Version
Wears the dash panel the 4Runner should have. Electronically adjustable suspension. Air-adjustable rear ride height. Almost too nice to wheel in--almost. Exemplary fit and finish.

How We Test Them
Testing seven brand-new SUVs isn't easy, but someone has to do it. While it is lots of hard work planning and organizing it is also a lot of fun too. Plus we take it as our duty to test the vehicles and report the results to you.

On the first day of the test we head out to Los Angeles County Raceway to put the SUVs through the acceleration and braking testing. From there it is off to our desert test trail for plenty of time in the dirt. This year we suffered two flats and two stucks on this rock-infested trail. After lots of wheeling and plenty of photography we head up the mountain to beautiful Big Bear, California, for a well-deserved dinner and rest.

The next morning we head out bright and early for the dunes of Dumont, California. It is a long trip but gives us plenty of time on the highway with the vehicles. We also get to tackle the twisty pavement roads along the way. Once at Dumont we attack the dunes and try to have some fun. This year we encountered a massive sand storm, which made us flee. After that it is back to the home base of Big Bear.

Bright and early the next morning we tackle the many trails of Big Bear, getting some time on the pavement in between. This time we encountered a freak snowstorm and cool temperatures. After a full day on the trail we wake up the next morning for more trail time.

All along the way we are taking plenty of notes and judging each vehicle in five separate categories. The mechanical category accounts for 25 percent of the final score while trail performance accounts for 30 percent. Another large category is highway performance, which is 20 percent of the final score. Smaller categories are interior and exterior and account for 15 and 10 percent respectively. After the test is over we tally up the scores and have a winner.
Old 03-28-07, 12:31 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Kinda hard to come here and get an opinion other than a positive for the GX since most of own one. However, I would have to agree. This is the first Lexus I have owned. I have always been a Toyota guy. My last SUV was a 4Runner. You can't go wrong with either the GX or Landcruiser. Landcruisers are really cool trucks and are very capable but so too is the GX. The Landcruiser's Lexus version is the LX470. Capability is not a question in any Toyota SUV product whether it be the luxury line or not. All I can say is that the GX (especially Lexus) will offer both the offroad capability and the refined luxury that not even a Lancruiser can offer. Real wood and etc. However, avoid the troubled LR and you can't go wrong.

CV
Old 03-28-07, 07:14 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryan818
Ryan - if you search the forum you can find some video of one our members real off roading trips.

Keep in mind that some of the magazines modify the SUVs for their severe road tests - the one I read on the GX removed the running boards, cut off all the plastic trim, changed tires and lifts, etc - probably not what most people do. The GX has the core of a superb off-road vehicle, but it will probably look a lot different after the trip!
Old 03-29-07, 05:35 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Off-road, i would give a VERY slight nod to the Land Cruiser (TLC). RTI (ramp travel index) measures suspension flex. Only the GX470 with KDSS matches the Land Cruiser's flex...without KDSS, GX470 falls way behind TLC.

I can assure you that GX470 KDSS is quite capable off-road IF you equip it with the right equipment such as rock sliders and aggressive tires. But again, this applies to every vehicle including both TLC and GX. I go off-roading with a member on here who has KDSS...it's very good!! My brother has an '01 LX470.

The reason why i favor the TLC slightly above GX KDSS is the cleaner underbody, possibly more aggressive ATRAC (traction control), and possibly stronger frame. The more aggressive ATRAC comment is based on owners of TLC...therefore, i cannot confirm it. The TLC frame was design for it only. GX's frame shares with 4runner/Prado and thus linked with Tacoma (to some extent). While this is not a bad thing, i like frames to be designed for one vehicle only rather than cookie-cutter-type designs. Back in 1998, the TLC frame was the strongest in it's class of production SUVs.

In addition, if you get TLC, then get the 4-wheel active suspension (AHC). Unlike GX's system, the TLC AHC system can lift ALL 4 CORNERS. The GX can only lift it's butt high. The TLC with AHC can lift both ends for clearance purposes. And if you want to be picky, when you lift the rear of the GX, the approach angle decreases by one degree. Not a big deal, but this is where TLC with AHC is better.

HOWEVER, you need to balance your needs. The one thing that annoys the hell out of me about TLC is the lack of must-have luxuries such as MEMORY SEATS, wood, and good stereo system at it's price range. Why the hell do Avalon and Sienna have memory seats and the $60K TLC does not?!! And i HATE those cheap-looking dealer wood add-on that comes on 99% of TLCs on the lot. IMHO, if you get the TLC without much discounts, then you're getting rape!! This is why i would get LX470 before i would get TLC because for only $5-10K more (last time i checked...been awhile, so check on it), the LX470 is a better value IMHO! (If you're shopping for these vehicles, then i assume that you're not strap for cash.)

You can't really go wrong with either. If you had to choose between the two, then i would get GX470 KDSS because it has memory seats and more luxury...again, this is where TLC is severely lacking. But, remember, it is hard to modify a GX470 with KDSS because the KDSS equipment itself gets in the way (lifts and slider as my friend found out). So, if you plan on modifying your rig, then i would get TLC. And if you have extra cash around, then i would step up and get LX470 and end all discussion.

As for Land Rover, it's a joke...don't even consider it.

Last edited by tigmd99; 03-29-07 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 08:28 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are a few of mine... nothing too crazy, but you get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pADd48D6qoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtELqWh2CQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ojIGfUwW0
Old 03-29-07, 09:50 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Off-road, i would give a VERY slight nod to the Land Cruiser (TLC). RTI (ramp travel index) measures suspension flex. Only the GX470 with KDSS matches the Land Cruiser's flex...without KDSS, GX470 falls way behind TLC.

I can assure you that GX470 KDSS is quite capable off-road IF you equip it with the right equipment such as rock sliders and aggressive tires. But again, this applies to every vehicle including both TLC and GX. I go off-roading with a member on here who has KDSS...it's very good!! My brother has an '01 LX470.

The reason why i favor the TLC slightly above GX KDSS is the cleaner underbody, possibly more aggressive ATRAC (traction control), and possibly stronger frame. The more aggressive ATRAC comment is based on owners of TLC...therefore, i cannot confirm it. The TLC frame was design for it only. GX's frame shares with 4runner/Prado and thus linked with Tacoma (to some extent). While this is not a bad thing, i like frames to be designed for one vehicle only rather than cookie-cutter-type designs. Back in 1998, the TLC frame was the strongest in it's class of production SUVs.

In addition, if you get TLC, then get the 4-wheel active suspension (AHC). Unlike GX's system, the TLC AHC system can lift ALL 4 CORNERS. The GX can only lift it's butt high. The TLC with AHC can lift both ends for clearance purposes. And if you want to be picky, when you lift the rear of the GX, the approach angle decreases by one degree. Not a big deal, but this is where TLC with AHC is better.

HOWEVER, you need to balance your needs. The one thing that annoys the hell out of me about TLC is the lack of must-have luxuries such as MEMORY SEATS, wood, and good stereo system at it's price range. Why the hell do Avalon and Sienna have memory seats and the $60K TLC does not?!! And i HATE those cheap-looking dealer wood add-on that comes on 99% of TLCs on the lot. IMHO, if you get the TLC without much discounts, then you're getting rape!! This is why i would get LX470 before i would get TLC because for only $5-10K more (last time i checked...been awhile, so check on it), the LX470 is a better value IMHO! (If you're shopping for these vehicles, then i assume that you're not strap for cash.)

You can't really go wrong with either. If you had to choose between the two, then i would get GX470 KDSS because it has memory seats and more luxury...again, this is where TLC is severely lacking. But, remember, it is hard to modify a GX470 with KDSS because the KDSS equipment itself gets in the way (lifts and slider as my friend found out). So, if you plan on modifying your rig, then i would get TLC. And if you have extra cash around, then i would step up and get LX470 and end all discussion.

As for Land Rover, it's a joke...don't even consider it.
One major item in the GXs favor, when compared to the TLC, IMO, is full-time AWD. I believe the TLC is part-time. For me this is a huge safety issue in regular driving. Not such a big deal offroad when you're likely to be in 4wd in the TLC.
Old 03-29-07, 11:33 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
One major item in the GXs favor, when compared to the TLC, IMO, is full-time AWD. I believe the TLC is part-time. For me this is a huge safety issue in regular driving. Not such a big deal offroad when you're likely to be in 4wd in the TLC.
Uhhh, i think that you're like 20 years outdated! All TLC/LX are full-time 4wd...just like GX.

Quick Reply: GX vs Land Cruiser vs LR3