GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

factory lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07 | 03:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats good to hear pearlpower. Which car did you put them in, the GX? Did you get the plug and play kit, ie, no relay to battery power. What color temp did you get? Sorry for so many question
GX, no relay, plug and play unit. I believe I got the 5k unit-the closest to white color vs the purple items. I actually noticed them last night as I commented to the wife how nice the beam was and very comparable to the SC430 OEM HID's.
Old 10-29-07 | 04:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
GX, no relay, plug and play unit. I believe I got the 5k unit-the closest to white color vs the purple items. I actually noticed them last night as I commented to the wife how nice the beam was and very comparable to the SC430 OEM HID's.
Thats what I got, the 5K unit. I read one of your earlier post and you said you posted some pic, so far no luck finding them.
Old 10-29-07 | 05:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Sorry , don't post much here anymore, did not seem to be much interest in mods.
Here are my lighting mods:
5k HID McCulloch headlights
Piaa Extreme White fog lights
LED side step lights

Here is a pic of the headlights. GX is at an angle, not the greatest pic. No old vs new shot here.

Piaa Extreme White foglight on the right (as seen in pic) vs stock on the left

LED side step bulbs (right)-huge difference over yellowish OEM (left). Makes the GX look modern

Headlight install pics

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-29-07 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-30-07 | 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, we must think alike, I have the Piaa Extreme White fog lights too. I originally had the PIAA LED in the running board as well, but they were not bright enough, so I put the LED in the parking lights and put some MTEC tinted bulbs on the running board.
One more question if you don’t mind. I don’t see the igniter in the passenger side picture, where do you install it. Also, did you double sided taped everything or did you bolt them down?

Thanks
Old 10-30-07 | 08:52 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Not sure about the igniter, would have to check as it has been a while since I looked under there. Everything is bolted. I believe the pic above shows some components with tape but everything was changed shortly afterwards to hard mounts for added security. Would have to take new pics.
Old 10-30-07 | 10:11 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

In my experience, XenonDepot HID kit is far more reliable than Sylvania Silver Stars. I have had XenonDepot HID on my GX since 2004 with no problems so far. I replaced the Sylvania Silver Stars on my RX almost every 6 months.
Old 10-30-07 | 10:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Did you drill new holes or use existing holes?
Old 10-30-07 | 10:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Did you drill new holes or use existing holes?
To be honest, I don't recall. I believe is reused existing holes and possibly shifted things around.

On the Silverstars, the older versions had issues with premature burn out but the new Ultras are pretty decent with very little return rate.
Old 10-31-07 | 05:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the tips pearlpower.
Old 10-31-07 | 05:15 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Pearlpower,

Do you have any issues with flickering or "strobing" of your HIDs? My understanding was that you needed a separate power source from your existing harness in order to prevent that from happening. I'm leasing my GX and running additional wires, relays, etc. - would require me to remember to remove it later when I return my GX (well, unless I keep it). Plug-n-pray would work great for me.

Let me know, Thanks.
Old 11-01-07 | 07:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lights are install, they look great. Thanks for the advice pearlpower.

gsobol, on some cars, the HID light have to be draw power directly to the battery. GX is not one of them, since the lighting circuit is pretty heavy duty. If you dont get enough power to the HID, they will flicker.
Old 11-01-07 | 05:38 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

gsobol, on some cars, the HID light have to be draw power directly to the battery. GX is not one of them, since the lighting circuit is pretty heavy duty. If you dont get enough power to the HID, they will flicker.
The G Man. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-28-07 | 03:56 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

After driving around with the Mcculloch 5000K kit for 3 weeks, I am not happy at all with the light output, especially in the rain. I broke down and bought a set of Philips 4300K bulb, I am now running Philips bulbs with Mcculloch ballast The difference between the 2 bulbs are like night and day. I would say at least twice as bright. I know they are difference color temp, but even if the Mcculloch was 4300K and didnt have that tint on the bulb, I think the Phliips bulb is still much brighter. I am now one happy camper, another expensive lesson learned.
Old 11-29-07 | 12:15 PM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsobol
Pearlpower,

Do you have any issues with flickering or "strobing" of your HIDs? My understanding was that you needed a separate power source from your existing harness in order to prevent that from happening. I'm leasing my GX and running additional wires, relays, etc. - would require me to remember to remove it later when I return my GX (well, unless I keep it). Plug-n-pray would work great for me.

Let me know, Thanks.
I use to have a Civic and installed an HID kit W/OUT the relay to the battery. I simply plugged them into the back of the existing wiring harness. I have read numerous debates about the safety of using a "relay" and what not. My HID's were installed for over 2 years W/OUT the relay and I never had a problem other then them flickering a few times when they first came on.

So the debate is still in the air. I should be receiving my XenonDepotKit in the next few days and this time I will use a relay because it is included.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-29-07 | 12:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by gsobol
Pearlpower,

Let me know, Thanks.
Absolutely none. They have been on for some time now and even with the fogs on, two rear LCD's, heater, seat heater, stereo, Vaistech, rear entertainment, I have no dimming or flickering.

Quick Reply: factory lights