GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 05:49 AM
rws11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing

Just a question for anyone who has towed with their 470, I'm looking at a 2005 and am wondering how the swing out door will interfere with the winch on my jet ski trailer. I've towed with a 07 4-runner, which was nice because not only did the back lift up, the rear window rolled down which helped allot when backing down a ramp. Kind of surprised they didnt incorporate the roll down window into the 470.
Old 04-26-07, 06:12 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I haven't towed too much but I have pulled a jetski like yourself. My door doesn't seem to get in the way. I have to remember to be careful and watch the crank handle. My backup camera, helps me maneuver the trailor.

CV
Old 04-26-07, 10:58 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rws11
Just a question for anyone who has towed with their 470, I'm looking at a 2005 and am wondering how the swing out door will interfere with the winch on my jet ski trailer. I've towed with a 07 4-runner, which was nice because not only did the back lift up, the rear window rolled down which helped allot when backing down a ramp. Kind of surprised they didnt incorporate the roll down window into the 470.
I've towed a decent amount w/my '07 sport, and it does really well. I towed a fully (heavily) loaded 6x12 uhaul trailer this last weekend that must have been close to 5k-lbs. No problem. One thing I found that helped was to tighted up the suspension on the freeway. made for a more stable tow.

I thought it was going to be tough backing down ramps 'till I realized I had this little camera pointing out the rear. Wow, it's amazingly handy to have the rear-view-camera when towing. Makes hooking-up a snap, and helps when backing down ramps too.

The one thing I'm still not super clear on is the procedure in the manual for hooking up. I think they say to:
- Put it in park
- Lower suspension to "low"
- turn auto-level "off"
- turn truck "off"
- hook up the trailer
- go

Not sure what effect htis really has. Seems like it adjusts to the "n" setting above 30mph-ish regardless of what I do; though lowering the rear does make it easier ot hook up the trailer.
Old 04-26-07, 01:11 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stiles_s
The one thing I'm still not super clear on is the procedure in the manual for hooking up. I think they say to:
- Put it in park
- Lower suspension to "low"
- turn auto-level "off"
- turn truck "off"
- hook up the trailer
- go

Not sure what effect htis really has. Seems like it adjusts to the "n" setting above 30mph-ish regardless of what I do; though lowering the rear does make it easier ot hook up the trailer.
That was written by an extremely concerned engineer and a lawyer!

They are trying to ensure the car doesn't move (i.e. change rear height) while you are messing around with the trailer, by dropping to the lowest height and turning everything off.

It doesn't do anything for actual towing, as you stated above 19mph (30kpm) the suspension goes back to N, even if you have the auto-height set to off.

Though an engineer, but more risky (or lazy?) this is how I use it...

Put suspension in L, and backup using camera until trailer ball directly under trailer tongue. Park and e-brake. Put suspension into H. Jump out and while the car is slowly raising the back end. I just have to push/pull the trailer a bit, side to side, to ensure the ball engages securely into the trailer. No cranking down. Then, of course I do have to crank the trailer wheel all the way up for towing.

For unhooking, put suspension in H, backup. Crank the trailer wheel down until it just touches the ground, disconnect the trailer, put suspension in L, so that it lowers the ball out of the trailer tongue. Drive away. This also leaves the trailer tongue at the right height to hook up the next time, per above directions.

Simple. Only way to be easier is an electric trailer wheel.... did I mention I'm cheap as well as lazy?
Old 04-26-07, 02:13 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

loflin-
you must be my long lost brother in TX. I do exactly the same things - makes hooking/unhooking a breeze. Love the rear view camera too!
Old 04-26-07, 05:50 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I'm too damn impatient to wait for the suspension and just do it by hand - mine takes like 30 seconds between settings - it is like watching paint dry!
Old 04-27-07, 02:13 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rklages
I'm too damn impatient to wait for the suspension and just do it by hand - mine takes like 30 seconds between settings - it is like watching paint dry!

During those "30" seconds, I'm also hooking/unhooking the safety chains and trailer lights.
Old 04-27-07, 03:32 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by loflin

During those "30" seconds, I'm also hooking/unhooking the safety chains and trailer lights.
x2 again (and unlocking my trailer tongue lock)
Old 04-28-07, 10:50 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Whats the most An 05' can tow? Guess i'm too lazy to look this up in my book.
Old 04-30-07, 10:18 AM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

should be about 6500lbs.
Old 05-03-07, 12:36 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ohmy05'
Whats the most An 05' can tow? Guess i'm too lazy to look this up in my book.
Depends on your hitch.

Also depends on the load in your car.

If you have the factory hitch, the rating is 6500lb max. But that would be with just the driver (no passengers) and no cargo in the car.

I have an '05, factory hitch, and tow a boat/trailer of about 5000lb. Tows fine, but getting into my neigborhood the street has a fairly good climb/grade. If I punch it all the way down, gear goes to 2nd and I can maintain about 25mph uphill. Not sure I could make it, if I actually had another 1500lb (or it would be pretty slow going).