GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Airflow/Aerodynamics/Window Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 12:51 AM
wbh3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airflow/Aerodynamics/Window Open

I have a situation which bugs me and I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this
"problem."

When driving down the road and the 2nd row door window is opened, I always get a LOUD air "thumping" noise which is severe enough to cause the front passanger seat viabrate forward and back about 1/2 inch. Window goes up and all's quiet again.

This is the first vehicle I've ever encountered this on. My GX is a 2006. Tell me this is not an engineered-in airflow and aerodynamic characteristic (flaw).

Bruce
Old 05-27-07, 01:05 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That happens in ALOT of vehicles! Just crack open another window and it will calm down--There is no problem with your GX
Old 05-27-07, 07:06 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

my wife has mentioned this same issue on our 2006 GX. I heard the thumping when I tried it but did not notice the front seats moving as much as you mentioned. Anyway, it would be nice if the 3rd-row side windows could be cracked open electronically from the front seats.... that would work.
Old 05-30-07, 10:37 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeppers, sounds like you are in a helicopter!
Old 06-01-07, 11:48 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

None of the older cars used to do this. Many of the newer ones do. It's the rear windows! Either styling is more important than aerodynamics or many carmakers think that nobody wants to drive around with the rear windows down anymore (kids safety, etc?). You're right "CVsGX470!" It sounds just like a helicopter.
Old 06-01-07, 03:48 PM
HoboGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wbh3
I have a situation which bugs me and I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this
"problem."

When driving down the road and the 2nd row door window is opened, I always get a LOUD air "thumping" noise which is severe enough to cause the front passanger seat viabrate forward and back about 1/2 inch. Window goes up and all's quiet again.

This is the first vehicle I've ever encountered this on. My GX is a 2006. Tell me this is not an engineered-in airflow and aerodynamic characteristic (flaw).

Bruce
I usually open the rear vents and it solves the problem.
Old 06-04-07, 12:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

As newer cars get more aerodynamic, this has become a problem. When you crack a window in the rear, you are actually creating a vaccum inside your car. It is almost like pour a bottle of liquid into something, it will make a gulping sound. If you open up a vent hole on the opposite side of the bottle neck, the sound will go away. That vent hole is created when you crack open your front window.
Old 06-05-07, 05:25 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
As newer cars get more aerodynamic, this has become a problem. When you crack a window in the rear, you are actually creating a vaccum inside your car. It is almost like pour a bottle of liquid into something, it will make a gulping sound. If you open up a vent hole on the opposite side of the bottle neck, the sound will go away. That vent hole is created when you crack open your front window.
exactly the reason as to why you should NEVER drive your 4Runner around with just the rear window open. it sucks in the rotten egg smell...i think this is one of the reasons why lexus didn't do this on the GX.

Originally Posted by HoboGX
I usually open the rear vents and it solves the problem.
Too bad these aren't electric...
Old 06-05-07, 10:10 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

The rear vents in the GX s/b electric. I had electric on the Toyota Sienna and used it all the time. We should also be able to control AC and heat in back rows from the front. The rear doesn't get hot/cool enough that fast with just the front on, but this is a different topic.
Old 06-06-07, 07:45 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusBob
The rear vents in the GX s/b electric. I had electric on the Toyota Sienna and used it all the time. We should also be able to control AC and heat in back rows from the front. The rear doesn't get hot/cool enough that fast with just the front on, but this is a different topic.

I had to memorize the buttons for the rear cooling system when i am in the GX without passengers. I can reach behind the center console and turn on/turn up/turn cooler/warmer by feel. This is pretty stupid in a 55K luxury vehicle.

So too is the non-electric venting windows in the rear. Hell, my neighbors Chrysler T&C minivan at the very least has this.

Don't even get me started on the bluetooth phonebook stuff...

CV
Old 06-07-07, 07:24 PM
dholling13
Driver

Maybe off topic here, but when you are driving around check out the newer cars when their sunroofs are open. The flap that sticks up when you open the roof now has a difuser style design to it. This is the ultimate fix...
Old 06-08-07, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats almost like those vent visors for the side window. They will help a bit.
Old 06-08-07, 05:36 AM
skim07
Driver

it's called wind buffeting... happens to all cars.

jsut stabilize it by cracking open the front windows a little bit. nothing serious.
Old 06-08-07, 01:11 PM
dholling13
Driver

Our GX's have sunroof flaps that move according to the speed which you are traveling. Maybe if your specific truck's flap doesn't do this you will notice more wind noise?
Old 06-11-07, 10:58 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by skim07
it's called wind buffeting... happens to all cars.

jsut stabilize it by cracking open the front windows a little bit. nothing serious.
That's the term.....mmmm....buffet

Isn't it just simple physics? If you have one window open, where is the air/wind going to coming out?
It's just going to circulate back to that one window cracked open.

That's why everytime when 1 passenger open the window, I have to open my window

Quick Reply: Airflow/Aerodynamics/Window Open