GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

bike rack - swing arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 11:23 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike rack - swing arms

Hey team

Looking to purchase a bike rack for the GX.... I think I would like to go with a swing arm/ hitch type... Anyone have any experience with Thule, Yakima, Allen or Sportracks versions? After searching the archives.. I still have not been able to determine if one of these works specifically with our barn doors.

Specifically, I am concerned that the swinging arm may get in the way since our trucks open on the same side... I think. Every pictures seem to show the arm swinging to the right...

Should I be concerned? Anyone have pictures of theirs in action? Recommendations? Thanks
Old 06-09-07, 10:50 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my Thule...

with door open (won't open all the way due to the bike front tire mount)

Dan

Last edited by purplehazek4; 06-09-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-10-07, 12:30 AM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a Saris Thelma rack to replace my old hitch mount Yakima Roc2. My new bike wasn't able to fit on the traditional frame secured racks.

http://www.saris.com/p-298-thelma.aspx

While the rear gate doesn't open all the way with the Thelma what sold me was the innovative design and the overall weight. I only have the rack on when I'm biking so portability and weight was important. The Thule and Yakima tire mount racks were extremely heavy.

Just checked and the Thelma weighs 26lbs. The Thule T2 weights 60lbs and the Yakima 56lbs. I wanted something that the gf could easily lift and attach without my help.

Last edited by tyoung88; 06-10-07 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-11-07, 12:21 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

thanks for the replies... you said that the door doesn't open all the way with the Thelma..... How far does it open? Similar to the Thule pictured above?

Has anyone tried the racks that swing to the right?? Just wondering if the door will hit the bikes.....

thanks
stl2chi

Last edited by stl2chi; 06-11-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 01:06 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stl2chi
thanks for the replies... you said that the door doesn't open all the way with the Thelma..... How far does it open? Similar to the Thule pictured above?

Has anyone tried the racks that swing to the right?? Just wondering if the door will hit the bikes.....

thanks
stl2chi
It opens less than with the Thule... I'd guess no more than a 1-1.5ft. Over the weekend it was enough to slide the kid carrier in (folded up) and out as well as put in the groceries from Costco on the trip home.
Old 06-12-07, 03:04 PM
peterh
Rookie

I have had a Thule "964 - Revolver 4 Bike Hitch Rack" for the last few years. With the rack closed, you can open the back door about a foot which is adequate to slide most things in and out. It only takes a second to unscrew the lock and the rack swings completely out of the way for a full door opening.
Old 06-13-07, 11:12 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I have the Thule "964 - Revolver 4 Bike Hitch Rack" too. It's a little expensive ($400+) but worth it.
Old 06-15-07, 08:50 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

so... the thule revolver allows you to open the back door completely without removal of the hitch?
Old 06-15-07, 10:22 AM
peterh
Rookie

Yes, the rack can be opened completely out of the way and the back door completely openend without taking anything off the car. Cool thing is that it does not matter if the bikes are on or off the rack, it can be swung out either way. The rack swings out to the passenger side, so you have totally clear access to the back for loading/unloading.
Old 06-15-07, 11:14 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Originally Posted by stl2chi
so... the thule revolver allows you to open the back door completely without removal of the hitch?
Hey man, i would stay away from this type of rack. If you have more than one bike on it it is going to bounce all over the place. We used this rack to travel from LA to Tahoe/Northstar and we had to use tie downs attached to the roof to stop the bike from bouncing up and down. On top of that, you will eventually damage/scratch up your bike/s. Ive used every type of rack there is (well pretty much anyway) and I can tell you that the T2 Sportworks/thule rack is much better and 100% stable. If thule hasnt messed with the Sportworks design too much, it should pivot down completly so the rear door can open all the way(without bikes on it).

You will be annoyed a lot less with something like the T2 style rack, trust me.

Tom
Old 06-15-07, 12:00 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomGXer
Hey man, i would stay away from this type of rack. If you have more than one bike on it it is going to bounce all over the place. We used this rack to travel from LA to Tahoe/Northstar and we had to use tie downs attached to the roof to stop the bike from bouncing up and down. On top of that, you will eventually damage/scratch up your bike/s. Ive used every type of rack there is (well pretty much anyway) and I can tell you that the T2 Sportworks/thule rack is much better and 100% stable. If thule hasnt messed with the Sportworks design too much, it should pivot down completly so the rear door can open all the way(without bikes on it).

You will be annoyed a lot less with something like the T2 style rack, trust me.

Tom
Right on the money! I had the other style before i bought my T2, and i got nothing but unnecessary scratches on my frame.

Dan
Old 06-15-07, 12:03 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I've taken many long trips with 4 bikes on my Thule 964 and never experienced the up/down bouncing. My bikes have never been scratched or damaged either. The T2 is good but the 934 works best for me. Good luck!