GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

After market spoiler advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 07:23 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After market spoiler advice

So my GX didn't come with the spoiler and in my opinion the back looks a little naked without it.

Any advice on getting a spoiler put on?

Should I have a shop do it?

Should I do it my self?

Should I have the seller paint it for me based on factory color?

Any brand suggestions?

Recommend any place to buy from?

etc...

Ebay is showing prices between $80 - $300.
Old 06-23-07, 08:10 AM
dholling13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were in MD I could help you out. I would recommend taking it to the dealer's body shop and getting a quote. It will require moving a few panels back there and there is always the risk of whistling (like a ladder rack on some van you would see) if it's not angled properly.
Old 06-23-07, 08:58 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you that the spoiler enhances the looks of the GX470. If it were me, I'd contact the dealer about adding the spoiler. You don't want to be stuck with a GX with an incorrectly attached spoiler!
Old 06-23-07, 09:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Here you go.

I put in "aftermarket spoiler" in the advance search:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=1367762

I quickly skimmed through, seems like there were some good tips
Old 06-23-07, 05:44 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I wouldn't want a bad spoiler job on the GX.

My brother is a former toyota tech. He might be able to get me a discount. I'll inquire with him.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Here you go.

I put in "aftermarket spoiler" in the advance search:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=1367762

I quickly skimmed through, seems like there were some good tips
I got the following error when I clicked on your link. I'll try the quick search like what you did.

Last edited by kphu; 08-25-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-23-07, 10:09 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Hmmm, sorry about that bad link. I was sure it worked before posting.
Try this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=1369514
Old 06-24-07, 05:35 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Hmmm, sorry about that bad link. I was sure it worked before posting.
Try this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=1369514
Thanks, but I'm still getting the same error. Don't worry about it. I'll do the search.
Old 06-25-07, 06:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If your brother is a Toyota tech. Get him to help you install it with you and you be fine, its a 2 man job.
Old 06-25-07, 08:16 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

I added the spoiler last week. Much better with something on the rear!

I bought mine from a seller on eBay who had only one (does not sell spoilers), the price was great- $105 shipped and it was already painted Black. The only problem is that it did not come with the stop light cover for the old high mount stop light. I opted to use a spray tint to cover my original light. Just make sure that whoever you buy it from also sends you the cover in the same color...you cannot buy the cover without the spoiler anywhere-believe me I have tried!

Old 06-25-07, 07:43 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmarshack
I added the spoiler last week. Much better with something on the rear!

I bought mine from a seller on eBay who had only one (does not sell spoilers), the price was great- $105 shipped and it was already painted Black. The only problem is that it did not come with the stop light cover for the old high mount stop light. I opted to use a spray tint to cover my original light. Just make sure that whoever you buy it from also sends you the cover in the same color...you cannot buy the cover without the spoiler anywhere-believe me I have tried!

What a beauty!

Did you put it on yourself? Was it hard? I think getting the same color for my car might be tough.

Thanks for the advice on the cover.
Old 06-25-07, 07:51 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
If your brother is a Toyota tech. Get him to help you install it with you and you be fine, its a 2 man job.
My brother and I aren't as close as we use to be. Ever since I kicked him out of my house......he was living rent free...long story. This was a year ago.

He still did a ton of work on my ES300 recently and if I ask I'm sure he'll help me out again but I try not to ask for any freebies from anyone. Everyone's time is valuable so they should get paid for it.

I know because I charge an arm and a leg when I do consulting work. I have a 2yr old and a 2 month old so time away from my family is gotta be worth while.

The way I look at it, it should be 3 times what your normal day job is on an hourly basis since its technically overtime but with more headaches.
Old 06-26-07, 05:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If you are going to pay him 3 times as much, you might as well go to the dealer
Old 06-26-07, 09:00 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kphu
What a beauty!

Did you put it on yourself? Was it hard? I think getting the same color for my car might be tough.

Thanks for the advice on the cover.
It was not too hard, but I do a lot of my own work so if you are not a "tinkerer" you might find it slightly challenging. But it really is not very hard to do.

I did it by myself and I can say that I highly reccommend getting someone, anyone, to help you out. It is very difficult to properly allign the spoiler correctly when you are by yourself. But this is really the only hard part.

You may think that drilling the holes is the difficlult part...but with the templates that come with the kit it is very easy.

And getting the the same color is easy...but Black might not look right on your car

Actually all of the spoiler companies that I have seen can match any factory paint as long as you have the proper paint code.
Old 06-26-07, 10:53 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmarshack
It was not too hard, but I do a lot of my own work so if you are not a "tinkerer" you might find it slightly challenging. But it really is not very hard to do.

I did it by myself and I can say that I highly reccommend getting someone, anyone, to help you out. It is very difficult to properly allign the spoiler correctly when you are by yourself. But this is really the only hard part.

You may think that drilling the holes is the difficlult part...but with the templates that come with the kit it is very easy.

And getting the the same color is easy...but Black might not look right on your car

Actually all of the spoiler companies that I have seen can match any factory paint as long as you have the proper paint code.

I'm very handy myself so I shouldn't have a problem. On my 98 camry only after having it for 2 weeks I took apart the whole interior to wire a car system in it. My wife didn't want to look at it she was scared until everything was put back together. I broke the passenger door handle and it the part was $500 but it was under warranty so nothing out of my pocket. Its just the thought of drilling holes in a luxury car is scary though.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-27-07, 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kphu
Its just the thought of drilling holes in a luxury car is scary though.

Thanks for the info.

The scary part is that you only get one shot at it, be careful.

Quick Reply: After market spoiler advice