GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What alarm and autostart system do you have or recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 11:36 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What alarm and autostart system do you have or recommend?

The vehicle came with an astrostart 803 car starter. The range is ok 1000 ft but who ever installed it didn't program the keyless entry so when I do use it I have to manually use my key to unlock the door.

I'm considering getting a new alarm/autostart combo and looking at the compustar P2WSS-AS MSRP $700 or 2WSS-AS MSRP $600.

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

These have an insane range of 6000ft that's over 1 mile. My co-worker has it and he can start it from within our building. Its a 2 - way remote so it tells him if it started or not. Crazy...I gotta have something like that.

What do you have on yours?

Any recommendations?
Old 06-27-07, 10:40 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu
The vehicle came with an astrostart 803 car starter. The range is ok 1000 ft but who ever installed it didn't program the keyless entry so when I do use it I have to manually use my key to unlock the door.

I'm considering getting a new alarm/autostart combo and looking at the compustar P2WSS-AS MSRP $700 or 2WSS-AS MSRP $600.

These have an insane range of 6000ft that's over 1 mile. My co-worker has it and he can start it from within our building. Its a 2 - way remote so it tells him if it started or not. Crazy...I gotta have something like that.

Any recommendations?
I have a Viper security system and remote start which works flawless and has a great range. I can't remember the exact model but got it from a dealer in Franklin, TN.
Old 06-28-07, 05:40 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I have a Viper security system and remote start which works flawless and has a great range. I can't remember the exact model but got it from a dealer in Franklin, TN.
Do you recall what you paid? What features does it have? i.e. keyless entry, panic mode, ignition lock, anti-grind, power window control, trunk unlock, proximity sensor (internal or external), etc.
Old 06-28-07, 08:42 AM
pump142
Driver

any auto starter only suggestions?
Old 06-28-07, 01:42 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I've had Avital and Viper on a couple of my previous cars. My ES300 currently has the Avital installed.

The viper was ok, the Avital is a little better but Compustar is pretty good.

FYI - Viper and Avital is made by the same company DEI (Directed Electronics Inc) they also own Python, Clifford, and a bunch of other brands as well.

Some of the features that you should look for are as follows:
anti-grind
starter-kill relay
Cold and hot starting with temperature
Driver's priority unlock
Ignition controlled door locks
Secure valet switch
Manual transmission compatible
Range - i.e. how far you can be and can start the car.
Old 06-28-07, 03:32 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Wow ...

Any recommendations?
I guess the manufacturer ID chip key and computer lockout are not good enough? Along with the remote access from the key?
Old 07-02-07, 09:23 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any recommendations?
I've been planning to get a Remote Start from Luxury Motor Works, but haven't gotten around to it. With their remote, you use your present key.

After reading your post, I went into Luxury Motor Works new website and to my surprise discovered that the website shows that the Remote is not available for the GX. So I wrote to Steve and here is his reply:

Thank you for your interest in LuxLink.
Yes, we still have the LuxLink available for the GX470. We are still trying to add all of the products to the new website.
Are you local to us or will you be installing it elsewhere?

Sincerely,

Steven E Larkin
President/CEO
Luxury Motorworks, LTD
(626) 256-4849

Please visit our all new Website.
www.luxurymotorworks.com
Buy Lexus genuine Parts with free shipping.
Set up your next service appointment.
Submit your ride for all to see.
Create a guest log in to take advantage of online specials.
Old 07-02-07, 12:21 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I guess the manufacturer ID chip key and computer lockout are not good enough? Along with the remote access from the key?
Manufacture ID Chip key and computer lockout doesn't allow me to start the car remotely. Having a remote start during cold winter days are nice especially if you preset your temperature to auto so that when the car does start up it'll be nice and warm by the time you get into it or you can set it to AC during the summer days and it'll be nice and cold.

The current setup is lame. If I startup the car using the remote starter, I have to manually unlock the car with the key. Try unlocking a car door with a bag of groceries in the pooring rain. Its also safer at night when you parked in a dark desserted place like a public garage or on the streets. Keyless entry is the way to go!

With the 2-way remote it'll tell you if your alarm is going off or if your car started. I'd like to know if someone is breaking into my car.

Also, when I take my key out of the ignition the doors doesn't unlock. With an after market alarm system it'll unlock my doors so it'll be one less thing to do.

There are alot of other features that are available like remotely control your windows, proximity sensors to detect if someone is too close to your car or if they have their hand in an open window, etc. I don't need everything.

Hey, if your going for luxury you might as well have it all!
Old 07-02-07, 12:24 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
I've been planning to get a Remote Start from Luxury Motor Works, but haven't gotten around to it. With their remote, you use your present key.

After reading your post, I went into Luxury Motor Works new website and to my surprise discovered that the website shows that the Remote is not available for the GX. So I wrote to Steve and here is his reply:

Thank you for your interest in LuxLink.
Yes, we still have the LuxLink available for the GX470. We are still trying to add all of the products to the new website.
Are you local to us or will you be installing it elsewhere?

Sincerely,

Steven E Larkin
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check their website.
Old 07-05-07, 06:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Also, when I take my key out of the ignition the doors doesn't unlock. With an after market alarm system it'll unlock my doors so it'll be one less thing to do.
I believe that is a Lexus personalize setting you can do yourself, having the door unlock when you take the key out of the ignition that is. Somewhere in this forum is the instructions, do a search.
Old 07-05-07, 11:23 AM
DeeVonn
Driver

Clifford is very good
but i suggest you install it in proffesional shop cause it maight irtefere with the computer or electrical system of your vehicle that can lead to "trouble"

anyway if u insist

the only brand i could think of is clifford.
Old 07-05-07, 02:26 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DeeVonn
Clifford is very good
but i suggest you install it in proffesional shop cause it maight irtefere with the computer or electrical system of your vehicle that can lead to "trouble"

anyway if u insist

the only brand i could think of is clifford.
Actually, some of my friends had Clifford on their cars and they were very good until DEI bought them out.