GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 01:46 PM
troymm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked windshield

I've got a huge crack in the front windshield from a rock on the freeway. Does anyone know a good windshield replacement company in south OC? (or mobile installation). I got a quote from Lexus Mission Viejo, $1300.00.

I got another quote from Masterglass in Irvine for $430.00 for factory replacement glass which is said to be the same quality as OEM. Masterglass has a AA rating with the BBB, but I don't know anyone who's used them. Does anyone have any good experiences with this problem.
Old 06-30-07, 08:03 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by troymm

Does anyone have any good experiences with this problem?
Have you checked with your insurance company ??

~ Cap
Old 07-01-07, 01:56 AM
pump142
Driver

I just replaced ours yest too. The dealer said we had to use factory glass or they would not warranty any rain sensing wiper issues. The dealer didnt replace them. but recommended a few companies.
We have glass insurance and luckily Am Family didnt complain.
No we have new shiney glass like new.
Old 07-01-07, 01:09 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Pic? How big is the crack? Only reason i ask is because i had one to and fixed it with this kit i got from walmart for 10bucks
Old 07-01-07, 02:05 PM
pump142
Driver

mine was a heat expansion crack top to bottom, left to right the entire width.
gotta luv AZ summers, Its only 114 out today.
I think Ill be leaving my sunroof cracked open a bit from now on.
Old 07-02-07, 09:32 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Most insurance companies cover the replacement cost. If not, use a reputable auto glass replacement company and make sure they replace it with OEM. After it's replaced, it has to set at least 24 hours (can't use windshield wipers).
Old 07-02-07, 10:50 AM
troymm
Driver School Candidate

I just called my insurance agent and told her about the rain sensor warranty, and she told me to claim it thru insurance. So now I'm just waiting for the adjuster to call me.

heres a picture
Old 07-02-07, 11:05 AM
dholling13
Driver

That's an interesting point pertaining to the rain sensor. I wonder if this sensor does in fact require a special glass. I know my Porsche uses a windshield made by a company called Sigla; we had to replace it a few months ago...
Old 07-02-07, 11:30 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

My GX has the rain sensor and when I had to replace it, the auto glass company asked if I had it or not. They installed the correct one just like new!
Old 07-03-07, 10:40 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I had my LX windshield replaced by scottsdale lexus last October. They farm out all their glass work to a local glass shop, but they did a top-notch job (1 yr warranty on the work). The lexus tech's pull the interior trim (A-pillar, rear view mirror, etc.) off, glass shop installs the glass, techs reinstall the interior trim. Glass is OEM w/ OEM trim & rivets. FYI, the windshield on the LX/Landcruiser is tricky, as it uses 4 rivets on both sides that have to be set just right, or the windshield will whistle. Many aftermarket installers are not familiar with the installation procedure (17 pages long in the factory manual). Price was almost exactly $1K complete including new OEM rain sensing tape, covered 100% by insurance, no adjuster/inspection necessary [just called up to make the claim, faxed 'em the estimate, then the receipt after the work was completed, and they me a check!] (I bought glass coverage; in AZ, glass coverage is separate from comprehensive with a $0 deductible. When I was in CA, I don't think glass coverage was offered. Instead, I think it goes under comprehensive and your deductible. When I lived in New York state, glass coverage was free, so in comparison, CA is a rip-off.)

BTW, aftermarket glass isn't as high of quality as OEM glass. OEM glass is hydrophobic (repels water, like Rain-X), absorbs UV light (keeps you interior cooler, dash and leather from fading in the sun), and is thicker for better sound absorption (I read somewhere that Toyota first tried the thinner OEM glass from the Landcruiser Prado, but it was too noisy, so they went w/ thicker glass).

Last edited by V8_Fan; 07-03-07 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 01:40 PM
troymm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I went thru my insurance and they replaced it with Factory glass. They did a nice job and guarantee the install for the life of the car.
Old 12-09-07, 04:00 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a stone chip in the windshield today. So far, the crack is about an inch long. I wonder if one of the stone chip repair places can do a good job? I rather not have to get the windshield replaced because most places do a sloppy job and the windshield will leak (wind/water) after a short time. Also they usually scratch up the paint surrounding the windshield. The service manual for the GX shows 9 pages of instructions for R&R of the windshield.
I know that nobody will follow that to the letter. They always do a rush job and do not replace many of the little parts that the servive manual says to replace such as the upper windshield outer moulding, window glass adhesive dam and the 2 windshield glass stoppers and new rain sensor tape.

By chance does anyone know of a decent place in the San Luis Obispo, CA area that repairs stone chips? Thanks
Old 12-10-07, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

They can repair a chip but they cant repair cracks, even if they did, the crack will just get worst over time. Talk to your insurance comapny, see if you can get a Lexus replacement.
Old 12-10-07, 05:15 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
They can repair a chip but they cant repair cracks, even if they did, the crack will just get worst over time. Talk to your insurance comapny, see if you can get a Lexus replacement.
Before I have a new windshield installed, I figured I would try the Safelite repair method. They arrived at the house within a couple hours and did the repair in about 15 minutes. He said it will not crack any further. It looks ok but I can tell where the initial impact spot was. Looks like a small bug hit the windshield. I'll try it for a while and see if I can drive it without it bothering me. If I'm not satisfied, my insurance company said they would replace the windshield. If it comes to that, I will not settle for anything less than a Lexus windshield.
Old 12-11-07, 07:09 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
If it comes to that, I will not settle for anything less than a Lexus windshield.
My insurance stepped right up and gave me a new Lexus windshield without issue... Over a year and a half later, no issues...