GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Does your GX Vibrate at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 12:18 PM
Victorj001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does your GX Vibrate at idle?

Can anyone feel the vibration when your GX is at idle?

Yes or no
Old 07-05-07, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Nope, try using premium gas. If you are doing that already, their may be a problem with your GX.
Old 07-05-07, 06:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No. For example, a couple days ago my wife an I were sitting in the GX with the engine idling and the AC on (waiting for the rain to stop so we could walk in to a store without getting soaked) and she asked me if the engine was running. It made me notice that I couldn't feel the engine running (idling) at all.

Also, 87 octane (vs. 93) would not make the engine vibrate. 87 is plenty of octane for pretty much ANY engine at idle. It's only under throttle and load that 87 octane *could* start to 'not be enough'. FWIW,
my GX always runs on 87.
Old 07-05-07, 08:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Sorry charlie.
Old 07-05-07, 09:18 AM
Reboot
Rookie

I feel a very low pulsating type of vibration at idle at a light. Almost feels like faint bass from a subwoofer from a nearby car. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
Old 07-05-07, 02:41 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nope can't say I have that problem either.
Old 07-22-07, 06:48 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

i have an o4' and i've been recently getting that problem. it only happens on a code start. I don't know if its normal either. You think we should bring it into the dealer to let them run tests on them? I live like 2 and 1/2 hr from my dealership so i guess it'll have to be an over night thing since it only happens on a cold start.
Old 07-23-07, 04:21 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

No vibration at all and I am not using premium gas.
Old 07-23-07, 06:38 AM
Reboot
Rookie

I have a '04 also. I spoke to my service manager this morning. As soon as my parts come in for my rear TSB (apparently, they're on backorder), they're going to take a look at the vibration for me.

I'll post the diagnosis along w/ anything they fixed.

Originally Posted by LexGX
i have an o4' and i've been recently getting that problem. it only happens on a code start. I don't know if its normal either. You think we should bring it into the dealer to let them run tests on them? I live like 2 and 1/2 hr from my dealership so i guess it'll have to be an over night thing since it only happens on a cold start.
Old 07-23-07, 11:54 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All of these V8s are prone to carbon buildup on the throttle body over a period of miles which only requires cleaning. Other causes could be a bad plug, coil pack loose, unmetered air, TPS out of adjustment.
Old 07-29-07, 06:01 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

With the AC compressor kicked in a little vibration is completely normal. All GXs do it. Go to your dealer and ask to test out others and you will notice they will feel similar. Only difference is; some people can feel it, some people can't. Those prone to being hypersensitive to noises, vibrations, etc. (I am) will notice it. Nothing to worry about.
Old 07-29-07, 06:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by no1sportz
With the AC compressor kicked in a little vibration is completely normal. All GXs do it. Go to your dealer and ask to test out others and you will notice they will feel similar. Only difference is; some people can feel it, some people can't. Those prone to being hypersensitive to noises, vibrations, etc. (I am) will notice it. Nothing to worry about.
Though I can feel the compressor kick in as in all cars, there is no vibration in my GX due to the compressor and I am ultra sensitive to everything drive train related. Not saying that is not his issue based on his limited description, just not something I feel.
Old 07-29-07, 06:12 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Though I can feel the compressor kick in as in all cars, there is no vibration in my GX due to the compressor and I am ultra sensitive to everything drive train related. Not saying that is not his issue based on his limited description, just not something I feel.
Must be an East Coast thing then.

But seriously I haven't been in one that didn't. I inquired about this as well. Although I must add I don't have a great track record with my Lexus dealer. Seems I find every little rattle/vibration in a vehicle and when I go to the dealer to see if they can address it...they can't. They say it's normal. So I drive every vehicle on their lot and they all do it too. I have yet to find a GX or LX that is perfect to my liking...lol. With that said...it is far better than anything else I have driven (SUV wise). I have had 22 cars...and I am only 28.
Old 10-01-12, 08:19 PM
sjl830
Driver School Candidate

my gx vibrate at idle. i got 2007 , and bought as cert. and find the issue when i bougt it at 30k. so far no luck to fix yet. many tech tested. still can't find the problem. maybe defect car.
Old 10-01-12, 08:24 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With headlights and drl off, I feel a tiny amount of idle. If I turn the headlights on to the first position, the engine ups it's idle a 100-200rpm to compensate for the increased electrical draw and voila I get a smooth idle. Been that way from day one. Exactly the same with my 2GS430. Yes, I'm on prem in both autos.

Quick Reply: Does your GX Vibrate at idle?