GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 10:19 AM
stormj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Toyota dealer simply dont have all the parts for the GX. The GX and the 4runner are similar but not exactly alike. Even if the Toyota dealer can do the warranty work, which I am not sure about, it will take them much longer to get the parts.
The best thing to do is simply just call the Toyota dealer and ask the service manager if they can do Lexus warranty work.
I have never had mine in for anything other than the routine maintenance, so I'm not 100% sure about that. I've been to plenty of dealers that didn't have the parts for the cars they did sell, and would have to order them anyway, so that's not a big thing.

One thing I know for sure is that Toyota dealers do have access to the same computer database with all of the repair stuff.
Old 08-08-07, 11:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Have anyone ever did any Lexus warranty repair in a Toyota dealer, it would be interesting to find out if the Toyota dealer is authorized to do any Lexus warranty work.
Old 08-08-07, 05:36 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a GX470 needs a part that is not on the Toyota 4Runner, and many, many parts are different, then that part is only available to a Lexus dealer. Even if you give a Toyota dealer the Lexus part number, the Toyota dealer cannot order the part. The part would have to be a common part used on both the 4Runner and the GX470, then the Toyota dealer could order the part. You can even ask your Toyota dealership to look up a part for the GX470 in their parts system, and they will say they don't have the GX470 in their parts database.
Old 08-09-07, 09:55 AM
stormj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
If a GX470 needs a part that is not on the Toyota 4Runner, and many, many parts are different, then that part is only available to a Lexus dealer. Even if you give a Toyota dealer the Lexus part number, the Toyota dealer cannot order the part. The part would have to be a common part used on both the 4Runner and the GX470, then the Toyota dealer could order the part. You can even ask your Toyota dealership to look up a part for the GX470 in their parts system, and they will say they don't have the GX470 in their parts database.
I did not know that. Bummer. That's strange considering that so many of the parts are the same (nav unit, etc.) Hmm. I guess it's flatbed truck time if I have a big problem around here.
Old 08-09-07, 05:15 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I take GX to Lexus for service and ES to Toyota for service. My Toyota (express)service couldn't find part numbers for ES but he called parts department (in the same dealership) to get the part number. That made me to believe that they have two different systems. When I wanted to get quote for 90K service, they didn't have any problem in identifying the parts needed in their system.

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Old 08-10-07, 08:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

But will Lexus pay a Toyota dealer to do Lexus warranty work? I know they are the same company but......................