GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Keep or ditch the DRLs?
Keep them.
62.82%
Get rid of them.
37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Keep or ditch the DRL's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 12:22 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GXlexus470

I agree and thanks. However our GX DRLs are also our front turn signal lights. Do they really need to be amber? I saw one 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee once with "clear" blinking front turn signal as it made a turn in front of me... makes me wonder if the colors are regulated.
In California, white may be used for Turn Signals.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Keep or ditch the DRL's?-turn-signal-color-code.jpg  

Last edited by Capirato; 04-19-08 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 12:41 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT NEWS FOR FLORIDA TOO!

(1) Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under this chapter, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps. An object, material, or covering that alters the stop lamp's visibility from 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a stop lamp.
(2) Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under s. 316.222(2), shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light. Turn signal lamps on vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight, and an object, material, or covering that alters the lamp's visibility from a distance of 500 feet to the front or rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a turn signal lamp. Turn signal lamps on vehicles less than 80 inches wide shall be visible at a distance of not less than 300 feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight, and an object, material, or covering that alters the lamp's visibility from a distance of 300 feet to the front or rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a turn signal lamp. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.
(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 184, ch. 99-248; s. 12, ch. 2000-313.
Old 04-19-08, 12:49 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Cap,

So do you have HID bulbs? If so, are they 5000K? I want to order white DRL's/Turn Signals. However, I want the white turn signal to match my 5000K Headlights/Fogs. Any ideas where to get this information?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 04-19-08, 01:22 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonCANES

Cap,

So do you have HID bulbs? If so, are they 5000K? I want to order white DRL's/Turn Signals. However, I want the white turn signal to match my 5000K Headlights/Fogs. Any ideas where to get this information?

Thanks.

Jason
Jason.....

The Super Whites match my 6500K H11 HIDs.

Bear in mind, that the DRLs only work when your head-lights are off.

As Turn Signals, you want them to be as bright as can be.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

~ Cap
Old 04-19-08, 01:47 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Cap,

Thanks - Which model bulbs did you purchase? And, were they 1156 or 1157?

Jason
Old 04-19-08, 04:03 PM
brickauto
Driver

The Ohio Traffic Code does not even specify color of turn signals!

"4511.39 Turn and stop signals.

(A) No person shall turn a vehicle or trackless trolley or move right or left upon a highway unless and until such person has exercised due care to ascertain that the movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.

When required, a signal of intention to turn or move right or left shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle or trackless trolley before turning, except that in the case of a person operating a bicycle, the signal shall be made not less than one time but is not required to be continuous. A bicycle operator is not required to make a signal if the bicycle is in a designated turn lane, and a signal shall not be given when the operator’s hands are needed for the safe operation of the bicycle.

No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle or trackless trolley without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided herein to the driver of any vehicle or trackless trolley immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give a signal.

Any stop or turn signal required by this section shall be given either by means of the hand and arm, or by signal lights that clearly indicate to both approaching and following traffic intention to turn or move right or left, except that any motor vehicle in use on a highway shall be equipped with, and the required signal shall be given by, signal lights when the distance from the center of the top of the steering post to the left outside limit of the body, cab, or load of such motor vehicle exceeds twenty-four inches, or when the distance from the center of the top of the steering post to the rear limit of the body or load thereof exceeds fourteen feet, whether a single vehicle or a combination of vehicles.

The signal lights required by this section shall not be flashed on one side only on a disabled vehicle or trackless trolley, flashed as a courtesy or “do pass” signal to operators of other vehicles or trackless trolleys approaching from the rear, nor be flashed on one side only of a parked vehicle or trackless trolley except as may be necessary for compliance with this section.

(B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 09-21-2006"
Old 04-19-08, 04:20 PM
Capirato
Racer

Cap,

Thanks - Which model bulbs did you purchase? And, were they 1156 or 1157?

Jason
Jason.....

On the third attempt, I finally got the correct bulb.

1156 Single circuit, Bayonet Base.

SMT Tower (US Patent Pending)
30 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS + Advanced Patented Circuitry
25 high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 5high powered SMT forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings
Old 04-25-08, 10:35 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Cap,

Can you do us all a favor and post a picture of the DRL's?

Last edited by JasonCANES; 04-25-08 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-27-08, 10:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Cap,

Can you do us all a favor and post a picture of the DRL's?
Jason.....

Excuse the bugs, just got back from a trip.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Keep or ditch the DRL's?-drl.jpg  
Old 04-28-08, 03:19 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Cap,

They look great and mine do too now...but they are blinking fast.

So now that I have fast blinkers, I need an LED flasher unit, but I can't find it on our truck. I believe it is under the left kick panel, but HELP, where is it?

Otherwise, I need to order TWO 3 OHM load equalizers. OK, but here is the kicker, I need to do some wire splicing --- this turned out to be a bigger project that I wanted to get into for LED turn signals, but damn, they look good, so basically, does anyone know how to install the following to my rear LEDS or front LEDS.

http://superlumination.com/images/le..._equalizer.jpg
http://superlumination.com/images/leds/installation.jpg

Pics would help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Jason

Last edited by JasonCANES; 04-28-08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 06:47 PM
Capirato
Racer

Cap,

They look great and mine do too now...but they are blinking fast.

Jason
Jason.....

Now you need to buy and install in the rear only, the two 6 ohm equalizers.

In my case, I have 2 Prado filament bulbs on each side, so do not need equalizers.

Looks like an easy task.

~ Cap
Old 04-30-08, 05:33 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Cap,

According to autolumination, I need TWO 3 OHM Load Equalizers in the rear. Why do you believe I need TWO 6 OHM?

Based on the information on the site below, if I use 6 OHM, I will need to put 4 Load Equalizers on the truck. Since I only have 4 LED's (two front, two rear), TWO 3 OHM Load Equalizers on the rear should work. Whew...I certainly hope the Illuminated Door Sills don't turn out to be a bigger project then expected?

I may not know OHM's law...but I hope I ordered the right thing... do you think Radio Shack carries Load Equalizers, just in case I ordered the wrong ones?

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
Old 04-30-08, 06:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Load Equalizers is just a fancy name for resisters. Radio shack sells them but may not have the exact ohms you are looking for.
Old 04-30-08, 12:25 PM
Capirato
Racer

Cap,

According to autolumination, I need TWO 3 OHM Load Equalizers in the rear. Why do you believe I need TWO 6 OHM?

Based on the information on the site below, if I use 6 OHM, I will need to put 4 Load Equalizers on the truck. Since I only have 4 LED's (two front, two rear), TWO 3 OHM Load Equalizers on the rear should work. Whew...I certainly hope the Illuminated Door Sills don't turn out to be a bigger project then expected?

I may not know OHM's law...but I hope I ordered the right thing... do you think Radio Shack carries Load Equalizers, just in case I ordered the wrong ones?

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
Jason.....

I stand corrected.....

3 OHM should work.

Install in rear only. Front doubles up as DRLs.

~ Cap
Old 07-23-09, 06:02 PM
mvagusta
Driver School Candidate

where do I put the l;oad eqalizers? Where in the back? What do i need to take apart to get to the wire's? Any help would be good thanks

Quick Reply: Keep or ditch the DRL's?