GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Keep or ditch the DRLs?
Keep them.
62.82%
Get rid of them.
37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Keep or ditch the DRL's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 11:17 PM
GXlexus470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it legal to replace DRLs with different color? I am a little tired of the amber color. I like to leave them on for safety issues I think however i am thinking of replacing them with nokya hyper yellow 1156 with 42W output (OE @ 18/21W i think) so making it brighter... maybe even more visible or noticeable. What you all think?
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=965
Old 11-26-07, 07:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Most DRL are not amber.
Old 11-26-07, 08:04 AM
GXlexus470
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Most DRL are not amber.
I agree and thanks. However our GX DRLs are also our front turn signal lights. Do they really need to be amber? I saw one 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee once with "clear" blinking front turn signal as it made a turn in front of me... makes me wonder if the colors are regulated.
Old 11-26-07, 11:18 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amber is the only permissable color for front turn signals in the USA. Amber or red is permissable in the rear. This is from the FMVSS.
Old 11-29-07, 02:46 PM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusBob
Amber is the only permissable color for front turn signals in the USA. Amber or red is permissable in the rear. This is from the FMVSS.
Actually, Texas Traffic Code TC 547.324 states that " A turn signal lamp shall emit: a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle..."

Check with your local reg's, but if it's good here, it may be good elsewhere.
Old 12-03-07, 12:23 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ace E.
Actually, Texas Traffic Code TC 547.324 states that " A turn signal lamp shall emit: a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle..."

Check with your local reg's, but if it's good here, it may be good elsewhere.
State laws may vary. I know that in NY, since 1953, amber color must be on the front turn signals and red or amber in the rear. This info was found at

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv529.pdf
Old 02-20-08, 04:57 PM
brickauto
Driver

I would keep my DRLS but go with a LED setup like this http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

It's white when functioning as DRL and blinks amber when the turn signals are activated

Old 02-26-08, 01:53 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brickauto

I would keep my DRLS but go with a LED setup like this http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

It's white when functioning as DRL and blinks amber when the turn signals are activated

I ordered a pair of these LEDs. Will let you know how they work out.

~ Cap
Old 02-26-08, 06:26 PM
brickauto
Driver

Cap, thanks for letting us know.

My biggest wonder about these bi-color LEDs is whether if they'll work properly with our flasher units. Many signal applications of LEDs have problems of staying on all the time or flashing too rapidly (due to lower resistance of the LEDs compared to a bulb filament)
Old 02-26-08, 07:43 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Defeating a safety feature like DRLs is the act of a foolish control freak. The only exception I can think of is some models from some manufacturers (mostly European) use the headlights for DRLs and have electrical "issues" such that the bulbs have shockingly short lifespans. For people in that situation defeating DRLs can be done to save the hassle of constantly replacing the bulbs. With a Lexus it is a totally different light element doing the job.

So weighing in on the question posed, I'd say no. Nice to see an "enthusiast" board almost 2:1 against defeating the DRLs.

Last edited by CRB; 02-26-08 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 09:30 PM
Capirato
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by brickauto

Cap, thanks for letting us know.

My biggest wonder about these bi-color LEDs is whether if they'll work properly with our flasher units. Many signal applications of LEDs have problems of staying on all the time or flashing too rapidly (due to lower resistance of the LEDs compared to a bulb filament)
I don't expect any problems with the flasher, as I have been using LEDs for a while for DRLs and Turn Signals on the GX. The reason for not having a problem may be because I have Prado tail lights and I am using two of the bulbs for turn signals, instead of just one as the OEM does. The extra bulb adds to the resistance.

It's sorta silly to get these dual color LEDs, but one of the ones I'm using is flickering and needs replacement.

~ Cap
Old 03-02-08, 08:38 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
I don't expect any problems with the flasher, as I have been using LEDs for a while for DRLs and Turn Signals on the GX. The reason for not having a problem may be because I have Prado tail lights and I am using two of the bulbs for turn signals, instead of just one as the OEM does. The extra bulb adds to the resistance.

It's sorta silly to get these dual color LEDs, but one of the ones I'm using is flickering and needs replacement.

~ Cap
Hi Cap,

Long time no see! The dual LEDs are way cool. How much were they and how hard was it to change out the factory bulbs for the dual color LEDs?!?? How well do they work? does it come with instuctions?

Sorry to hit you with so MANY questions but the DRL in AMBER/YELLOW was one of my pet peeves with the GX when I first took delivery so many moons ago!
Old 03-05-08, 07:48 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by lonewolf69

Hi Cap,

Long time no see! The dual LEDs are way cool. How much were they and how hard was it to change out the factory bulbs for the dual color LEDs?!?? How well do they work? does it come with instuctions?

Sorry to hit you with so MANY questions but the DRL in AMBER/YELLOW was one of my pet peeves with the GX when I first took delivery so many moons ago!
Hi Lonewolf.....

We'll have to wait a few more days to see the results of the bulbs. I received the wrong ones, was my fault. I have reordered and asked for the 1157 metal bayonet bulbs.

The bulbs are about $25 each.

~ Cap
Old 03-05-08, 02:49 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Lonewolf.....

We'll have to wait a few more days to see the results of the bulbs. I received the wrong ones, was my fault. I have reordered and asked for the 1157 metal bayonet bulbs.

The bulbs are about $25 each.

~ Cap
Thanks Cap, please do keep us posted!

-Alex
Old 03-11-08, 07:35 PM
brickauto
Driver

Yeah keep us posted

Those orange DRLs make the Lexus look like a Chevy...

Quick Reply: Keep or ditch the DRL's?