GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Platinum/ Extra Care Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 12:21 PM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platinum/ Extra Care Warranty

During my shopping experience the past few days, one of the decisions I had to make was about whether or not to take the extended warranty, which is both extended in years and miles of coverage but also, greatly extends what is covered, like the NAV system for example. (The 48mo/50K does not cover the NAV.) Due to a really bad experience with a non-auto manufacturer program in the past, I was only interested in the Lexus program.

The quote from the dealer was $2,900 to go 7 years and 100K. While trying to figure out a way to get this value for less after getting a very good deal on my new truck, I stumbled upon one Lexus dealers that discounts these policies by approx. 25%. When I approached my dealer, he immediately agreed to match the lower price.

If he hadn't, I would have bought it on line from the other dealer.

Steve
Old 09-07-07, 03:24 PM
thedon3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine for Jim at Lexus of Alabama. I paid $2053.oo no tax. It was a 7year/100k 0 deductible
Old 09-10-07, 07:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did your dealer tell you that the 48 months bumper to bumper doesnt cover the Nav? Well, the Nav is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. After 4 years, you have one more year of powertrain warranty which does not covered the Nav. Which dealer did you buy it from, I am from MA too.
Old 09-10-07, 08:55 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

I believed the NAV system wasn't covered based on the "additional items listed in the Platinum/Extra Care package where they show what they are extending coverage to that wasn't covered in the 48 month warranty. It appears that may be an error.
I bought my truck from Lexus of Watertown.
Old 09-10-07, 10:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I bought my truck there too. The Nav. is not a additional item if it comes from the factory. When they say additional item, they mean something that you or the dealer have installed after the factory.
Old 09-10-07, 06:52 PM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if what you are saying is accurate but I have a lot less experience with Lexus. Here's what they claim is covered, with the items in italics representing the items added as part of the Platinum program.

The Lexus Platinum Program includes all items listed in the Lexus Gold Program, with additional components listed in italics. According to Lexus' info, for electronics and computers, the items in bold are covered on the Gold or standard warranty.

Anti-lock Braking Computer and Sensors
Automatic Shoulder Belt Computer
Cruise Control Computer
Electronic Ignition Unit
Electronically Controlled Transmission/Transfer Case Computer and Sensors
Electronically Modulated Suspension Computer
Engine Control Computer
Knock Sensor
Power Mirror Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
Power Seat Computer
Progressive Power Steering Computer
Sunroof Control Computer and Relay
Tilt/Telescoping Steering Computer
Trip Computer
Vehicle Security Computer and Sensor
Wiper Module

Airbag Sensors
Antenna Cord
Circuit Opening Relay
Compact Disc (CD) Player
Driver's-Side and Passenger's-Side Airbags
Front Seat Airbag Assembly
Graphic Equalizer
Navigation System
Radio Tuner
Side-Impact Airbag
Steering Sensor
Stereo Component Amplifier
Tape Player
Traction Control Computer
Variable Induction System
Old 09-11-07, 12:01 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The Lexus Platinum and Gold programs are extended warranties. The original bumper to bumper warranty is pretty much the same as the Lexus Platinum extended warranty which covers the NAV.
Old 09-14-07, 03:39 PM
GXlexus470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dealer sold me platinum/extra care warranty on my 03CPO for $1800 giving me 5yr/100K extended which is up to now i am a bit regretful since CPO comes with 3yr/100K. My 03CPO had 58,600K miles when I got it last July. They said that the platinum/extra care gave me more coverage and obviously 2years extra over the CPO warranty. I don't know... it's one of those dealer tricks where they would say..."it's only a $20/m more on your monthly payment...blah blah blah"... you would say no and next thing you know you signed papers with it. Did I let the dealer take the best of me...
Old 09-14-07, 05:11 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GXlexus470
dealer sold me platinum/extra care warranty on my 03CPO for $1800 giving me 5yr/100K extended which is up to now i am a bit regretful since CPO comes with 3yr/100K. My 03CPO had 58,600K miles when I got it last July. They said that the platinum/extra care gave me more coverage and obviously 2years extra over the CPO warranty. I don't know... it's one of those dealer tricks where they would say..."it's only a $20/m more on your monthly payment...blah blah blah"... you would say no and next thing you know you signed papers with it. Did I let the dealer take the best of me...
......yes.

When I bought my 07 GX, they through all sorts of crap on the "monthly payment." So much crap that it added over $7k to the final number when you added up all the payments. The finance manager was so pushy with stuff like gap insurance, etc., that I got up and walked out of the dealership. The sales manager came after me, and apologized. I said, I want to sign papers for the vehicle only, and expect to be out of the dealership in 10 minutes.........I was done in 5 minutes. As Nancy Regan used to say: "Just Say NO!"
Old 09-15-07, 07:16 AM
schan1w
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Lexus Platinum and Gold programs are extended warranties. The original bumper to bumper warranty is pretty much the same as the Lexus Platinum extended warranty which covers the NAV.
I don't think plat and gold are considered extended warranties. They call them something like extended service contracts. Plat/gold list what is covered, while bumper-to-bumper lists what is not covered. In other words, everything is covered in bumper-to-bumper except what they specifically list as not being covered. While nothing is covered in plat/gold unless it is specifically listed (albeit the list is quite large).
Old 09-17-07, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

What is covered under the Lexus platinum/extra care warranty that is not covered under the CPO warranty? I always thought they were similar in coverage.