GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Some '08 pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 09:41 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Some '08 pics

Stopped by my local dealer to check out the '08 GX, very little has changed of course but here's some pics of the changes:

Looks very nice in black with the darker wheels, was hoping to see a red one but all they had was black and gold.

Clear turns, but still no LEDs New strip of chrome along the lower portion of the rear window

New chrome roof rails

chrome speaker surrounds

darker wood

not a big fan of the new chrome door handles

last one

Old 09-18-07, 10:01 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like someone bought a "chrome kit" at Pep Boys. I agree, the door handles are most foul.
Old 09-18-07, 10:03 AM
NexVision
Rookie

To much gaudy chrome doesn't look Lexus like.
Old 09-18-07, 10:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NexVision
To much gaudy chrome doesn't look Lexus like.
But I do like the chrome strip along the rear window, it makes the GX look less narrow from the back.
Old 09-18-07, 10:28 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I don't like all but clear tail light for the 08 upgrade.

Too much bling bling stuff going on. They belong to Escalade.
Old 09-18-07, 10:52 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm old enough to remember when chrome was real chrome (and not the vacuum metallized plastic that gets called "chrome" now). If you ordered an American car, you could customize each piece of chrome trim and easily add 20% to the base price of the car by the time you were through. The old folks would judge how luxurious a car was by the quantity of chrome.

Most of that chome looks like the wrong direction for the GX. Stock chrome handles and rack instead of custom painting looks like the cheap way to go. My bet is that this is a cost savings for Lexus. As the sales volume goes down for the GX it is cheaper to just make one chrome part then to attempt to match color parts.

It is definitely a cheaper look. I've seen the old GXs with the gold badges, and really thought that was just too gaudy - the current design was much more refined.

The only place I thought could use a bit more bling was the wheels - the 06 stock does look too plastic.
Old 09-18-07, 10:57 AM
GatorGX
Rookie

From the pics, I think it looks nice... especially in black. Don't mind the chrome and it does not look too overdone to me. Perhaps the only questionable one for me is the the door handles.
Old 09-18-07, 12:05 PM
NexVision
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
But I do like the chrome strip along the rear window, it makes the GX look less narrow from the back.
That is probably the one piece I dont mind all that much my problem with it is it doesnt look classy it looks like pep boys stick on chrome. Well the back and the roof racks arent to bad in chrome either but the inside speakers gimme a break..
Old 09-18-07, 12:27 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
chrome speaker surrounds

Old 09-18-07, 01:20 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

One other thing I noticed is the MPG figures on the window sticker for the '08under the new EPA guidelines have gone down to 14 city 18 highway 15 combined. I also noticed the center diff lock is to the left of the steering wheel, you can barely see it in the pic of the steering wheel. The old spot has some sort of AUX radio input - but I think this may have changed in '06?
Old 09-18-07, 02:38 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said the chrome speaker surrounds certainly look like some add on stuff from the likes of JC Whitney or Pep Boys. Not good.
Old 09-18-07, 02:40 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I'm old enough to remember when chrome was real chrome (and not the vacuum metallized plastic that gets called "chrome" now). If you ordered an American car, you could customize each piece of chrome trim and easily add 20% to the base price of the car by the time you were through. The old folks would judge how luxurious a car was by the quantity of chrome.

Most of that chome looks like the wrong direction for the GX. Stock chrome handles and rack instead of custom painting looks like the cheap way to go. My bet is that this is a cost savings for Lexus. As the sales volume goes down for the GX it is cheaper to just make one chrome part then to attempt to match color parts.

It is definitely a cheaper look. I've seen the old GXs with the gold badges, and really thought that was just too gaudy - the current design was much more refined.

The only place I thought could use a bit more bling was the wheels - the 06 stock does look too plastic.
I agree silverlady. The move by Lexus to offer the door handles and the luggage rack in chrome, no matter what color the GX, is definitely a cost saving move.
Old 09-18-07, 06:18 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Those speaker surrounds look hideous! Lexus should have used just a thin chrome line around each speaker.
Old 09-18-07, 06:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the speaker "chrome" I really like those changes a lot. The black one with the chrome accents and new tails looks REALLY sharp!
Old 09-19-07, 05:13 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What were they thinking! Too much chrome in the wrong places, very un-Lexus like! I hope when they do the full redesign the chrome will be gone!

Quick Reply: Some '08 pics