GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Driving in snow, lock the differential?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07 | 04:13 PM
vipers5397
Rookie

Default Driving in snow, lock the differential?

When driving on snow, is it better to lock the differential?
If there is only a light dusting of snow, 1"-2", on the road, which is better?
What about the 3"-4" range?
Old 10-08-07 | 07:22 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Remember, your GX is full-time 4wd all the time. So, there is power going to both front and rear axle ALL THE TIME.

I would NOT lock the center diff. If you lock the center diff, VSC (stability control) turns OFF. I would just leave it in 4-HI and drive. VSC is your friend.

The only time that i would lock my center diff is when you anticipate that you will be buried in snow the next morning. If you lock the center diff before turning your car off for the night, then in the morning, you can power yourself out of the snow. Center diff would remain locked the next morning. Thus, VSC is OFF. In this scenario, VSC would be more a hindrance because it will cut engine power as soon as your wheel(s) start spinning...and this can become a problem when you try to power yourself out of a hole.

If you want to do dounuts, then lock the center diff and play.
Old 10-09-07 | 07:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I have gone thru 24" of snow and ice without locking the differential. The GX is a monster in the snow
Old 10-09-07 | 12:34 PM
vipers5397
Rookie

Awesome. Good info to have. Thanks for the replies. And judging by the tire related threads I have read, the Michelins that came with my GX should do great as well. I'm in Sac, CA. When dirving up to the snow, will I need to carry chains, though I'll never need them? Not a cheap thing to have to buy just to drag arround.

Last edited by vipers5397; 10-09-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-09-07 | 12:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Chances are you will not need chains. If it gets too deep, try locking the diff and use the 2nd start function. Just remember, like tigmd99 said, when you lock your diff, the VSC is off. So go slow.
Old 10-09-07 | 12:43 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

with 1-2 inches leave the truck as is, with a foot or more lock the diff so you have 50/50 power split, you will notice the difference, in deep snow the traction control is kicking in thinking your slipping when your actually trying to power through deep snow banks/drifts, in certain situations you want to spin your tires, with the stability control/traction control on it's thinking your slipping.

your best bet is to hit a parking lot after a snow storm and try it with and without, you will see how the truck reachs, but for driving on plowed roads that just have moderate snow I would leave the truck in normal mode.

maybe more snow experienced drivers will share but I've noticed in normal driving you can't do donuts but once you lock the diff you can spin real easy
Old 10-09-07 | 01:07 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Locking the center diff does NOT turn off traction control (ATRAC). It ONLY turns off VSC.
Old 10-09-07 | 02:44 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

When the center diff. is locked and you do donuts in a parking lot does it have any negative affect on the GX? Would it be worse doing donuts with the center diff. not locked? I've been able to do donuts without locking the center diff., but it makes that constant chime sound and continues to brake each wheel.
Old 10-10-07 | 04:21 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Josh's GX
When the center diff. is locked and you do donuts in a parking lot does it have any negative affect on the GX? Would it be worse doing donuts with the center diff. not locked? I've been able to do donuts without locking the center diff., but it makes that constant chime sound and continues to brake each wheel.
only side effect would be needing to get the brake fluid changed earlier rather then later, I'd rather not knowingly overwork the brake system when Im deliberately trying to have some spirited fun
Old 10-10-07 | 08:34 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vipers5397
Awesome. Good info to have. Thanks for the replies. And judging by the tire related threads I have read, the Michelins that came with my GX should do great as well. I'm in Sac, CA. When dirving up to the snow, will I need to carry chains, though I'll never need them? Not a cheap thing to have to buy just to drag arround.
I am assuming that you are talking about trips to Tahoe. I lived there for five years and my family still owns a home up there. We have never, that's never, needed chains on any of our four wheel drive vehichles. Just make sure that your tires are in good shape each winter and you will be fine without chains. If you go up a lot in the winter consider getting a dedicated set of winter wheels that you can have with snow tires on them...this is the best way to go:

These are my Tahoe wheels and tires:

Always drive safely and give yourself plenty of room in the snow
Old 10-10-07 | 01:48 PM
vipers5397
Rookie

cmarshack, What brand/model winter tire did you go with?

Ya, plan on driving up to the Sierra/Tahoe area, hopefully next month. As far as my current tires, they have about a 1/4 of an inch of tread left of them.
Old 10-13-07 | 10:14 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

BFG AT KO's
Old 12-24-09 | 08:37 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Does it matter what suppension setting you have it on in the snow. Comfort/sport?
Old 12-24-09 | 09:48 AM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

I just drove in 20+ inches this past weekend, very rare in the DC area. Did not lock center diff. and my suspension is in the middle
(in general, I would tend toward sport overall though, since you want to 'feel' the road more in those conditions)

The truck drove great btw, I was seeking out the deeper ruts to put it to the test & no issues what so ever.
Old 12-24-09 | 11:01 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by vipers5397
When driving on snow, is it better to lock the differential?
If there is only a light dusting of snow, 1"-2", on the road, which is better?
What about the 3"-4" range?
No need to lock the differential, the GX is all time 4 wheel drive it will handle any 3" to 4" inches with ease. I routinely drive through 7" of sand, been in 24" of snow and never locked up. Lock up if you feel like you are getting stuck and the traction control is preventing you from working the gas.

Quick Reply: Driving in snow, lock the differential?