GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Audio Won't Turn on - "Audio Off"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 12:31 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio Won't Turn on - "Audio Off"

I have a 2005 GX470 with navigation and ML. Installed a Vaistech SoundLinq a few months ago and all has been well so I don't think my current problem is related.

Beginning last Thursday I turned on the car and can't get any audio to work. FM, DVD, CD, MD all show "Audio Off". Navigation audio works fine. Pushing the power button in doesn't turn it on.

I checked the two fuses in the engine compartment and they look good. Is there a fuse on the audio amp itself? I'm thinking that either the headunit or the amp has died. If the amp is dead would it result in being unable to power up the head unit?
Old 11-03-07, 04:55 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoung88
I have a 2005 GX470 with navigation and ML. Installed a Vaistech SoundLinq a few months ago and all has been well so I don't think my current problem is related.

Beginning last Thursday I turned on the car and can't get any audio to work. FM, DVD, CD, MD all show "Audio Off". Navigation audio works fine. Pushing the power button in doesn't turn it on.

I checked the two fuses in the engine compartment and they look good. Is there a fuse on the audio amp itself? I'm thinking that either the headunit or the amp has died. If the amp is dead would it result in being unable to power up the head unit?

More likely your connection got loose behind the radio, fuse would make the whole thing shut off, it wont display audio off, if amp is bad, the display will turn on and appear to play, but no audio will come on, try the rear connection.
Old 11-05-07, 12:18 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

So I scheduled an appointment with the stereo shop that installed my Vaistech this morning to diagnose the issue. As the owner is sitting in the passenger seat I turn the key to the first position (aux?), pushed audio, show him the "Audio Off" icon then proceed to push the power button... only this time it worked!

Every since this issue started happening I checked all the fuses, unplugged and re-plugged the Vaistech and was never able to get the audio to power on. For some reason it just decided to start working today right before they were going to start pulling things apart. Is my car possessed or is there a good explanation for this? I'm thinking that something in the system performed a reset? This is all very strange.
Old 11-06-07, 04:11 PM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens occasionally with mine. Sometimes you can use the voice command and say "audio on" to fix it. Of course, rebooting the car seems to fix it also.

I have not found the cure or the exact symptom(s) that causes this bug.

Nothing is loose, the Vaistech is as good as it gets - but not perfect.

Remember - Possession is nine tenths of the law

Lou
OIF Vet

PS - Keep me in mind if you do cure it.
Old 11-06-07, 09:55 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Lou19 by rebooting do you mean turning it off and on or is there an actual way to "reboot" the system? I wonder why the Vaistech would cause this? Perhaps the SoundLinq2 is the solution.
Old 11-07-07, 03:54 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoung88
Lou19 by rebooting do you mean turning it off and on or is there an actual way to "reboot" the system? I wonder why the Vaistech would cause this? Perhaps the SoundLinq2 is the solution.
I just meant turning the car "off" and then "on" again, but do not do this while driving - there is a thread in this forum where someone is actually doing that!

I will look into the SoundLinq2. In my case, this bug occurs very seldom, I will not take action immediately. If you switch to the SoundLinq2, let us know what happens.

Lou
OIF Vet