GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Toy - DVD Player in headrests !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 10:51 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New Toy - DVD Player in headrests !!

Hi fellas, I wanted to share something I got off ebay, I have a GX with Nav and ML but no RSES. For the longest time, we had a headrest attached DVD player hanging on the headrest. It had a built in speaker and just turned on and off with the car. I saw these on ebay, and for the pair, it was like $280 shipped. Each is a pillow headrest that matches the color of the cars leather very closely. Each has a DVD player in there. The DVD player also has a built in Fm transmitter which sound very clear through the car stereo and it also has a built in speaker (turns off when fm mod is selected). Wiring it is quite easy, plugs in to cig lighter or 12v and ground. I have not hard wired them in yet. They resume from the last place and each has its own DVD player so 2 kids can watch independent things. 2 faults, no IR for headphones, you can get FM headphones and its fine, and 2nd, I have not found a way for the 2nd unit to play the video from the 1st without using the a/v input plug on the front, not a clean look. But this is a great alternative to the stupid things hanging from headrests. It is a bit tough to get the wires in the headrest posts, but not too bad, install time, 1 hour. 2nd time around 10 minutes. You insert the wiring into the post and then pry apart the plastic lining of the backl of the seat and look in and simply use a bent coat hanger to grab the end of the wire and hook it out and plug in more of the wiring. Quite easy, looks nice. I know there are units that have only one dvd player and the second headrest simply displays the first units video, but I really wanted ones with 2 dvd players as well as built in speakers and fm mod.
Attached Thumbnails New Toy - DVD Player in headrests !!-dvdplayer.jpg  
Old 11-22-07, 01:42 PM
brickauto
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a nice setup without the fuss of a messing install and wiring, good find!