GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

No GX for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 08:01 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

It's funny you say that. I thought the same thing when I test drove the new MDX. I thought it would have felt a lot faster with 300hp when I was merging onto a highway. I thought it was just me. How do you think Acura's SHAWD compares to Audi and Subaru? I have always heard Audi and Subaru had the best AWD systems but never drove either.
Old 02-07-08, 08:05 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you asking me or G man?? I don't know the answer to your questions because i do not have facts nor experience in these cars to back up my opinion. I have heard that Subaru makes the best AWD system...and when i went to Colorado, all i saw were Subarus.
Old 02-07-08, 08:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Are you asking me or G man?? I don't know the answer to your questions because i do not have facts nor experience in these cars to back up my opinion. I have heard that Subaru makes the best AWD system...and when i went to Colorado, all i saw were Subarus.
Sorry, should have quoted you tigmd99. Based on your posts, I thought you may have insight into those makes as well.
Old 02-07-08, 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So, why have been discussing this for the past 2-3 pages??!! Dude, you have NOT driven the new MDX in snow, yet you have proclaimed it to be bad in snow....
Dude, we were both discussing the old MDX in the snow not the new And we both agree that the new MDX is probably better than the old in the snow.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-07-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 10:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, do you know a guy named, "wwest"?? He have found much faults with Toyota's AWD system...and unfortunately, he also has numerous Toyota tech info to back it up. In other words, Toyota AWD (at least found in Highlander, RX, and Sienna) are NOT very effective in distributing power rearward.
That name sound familar, is he from the Toyota-4runner.org forum. Anyways, most of the problem with Toyota's AWD system is the over active traction control. There are ways to shut it off and alot of the new Toyota / Lexus are starting to come out with a traction control off button.
Old 02-07-08, 11:02 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Both vehicles are marketed as Luxury SUVs, and the GX is just substandard with its **** poor handling and silly rear axle.
The only thing that's "silly" and "substandard" here is your opinion Anyone who would buy a real SUV based on handling has their head up their @$$. Go buy yourself a sports car if you want handling or if you must have some storage space then either buy a station wagon or a car based cross-over.
Old 02-07-08, 01:22 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
That name sound familar, is he from the Toyota-4runner.org forum. Anyways, most of the problem with Toyota's AWD system is the over active traction control. There are ways to shut it off and alot of the new Toyota / Lexus are starting to come out with a traction control off button.
He is not on my 4runner forum. He is on various Toyota forums. He claims (and his proof apparently) that the RX330, Highlander, and Sienna AWD system does NOT have a true center diff...instead it is all based on traction control only. He claims that Toyota is falsely advertising the center diff to compete with other manufacturers, but in the Toyota tech manual, it does not exist. Or something like that.
Old 02-08-08, 06:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure if believe him a 100%. Here is one of his posts on edmunds, he is saying even the 4runner, GX470 and the LX dont have a Torsen diff:

"NO torsen in the 4runner after 2003, apparently one year only...!
Cannot find any documentation that the torsen was used after 2003 but lots of stuff indicating TRAC was used in its place. Same for the Lexus GX & LX series.
Strange, very.
Lot of component pictures/diagrams/breakouts of the VF4AM transfer across the years and models but only the 2003 4runner shows a torsen. "

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.eeca1cf/2151
Old 02-09-08, 09:04 AM
ben_caron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this thread is derailing into near-hate comments. Let's please keep it cool and civilized.

Och, sorry friend, but with a comment like "Both vehicles are marketed as Luxury SUVs, and the GX is just substandard with its **** poor handling and silly rear axle", it is quite obvious that you NEVER set foot on a mud trail. Otherwise you would know better than making such comments.

I tried, tested and owned a lot of cars in my life. And just before I took the plunge for the GX, I tested nearly everything under the sun. In December, I tried the Acadia, the Enclave, the CX-9, the MDX, the Xc-90 and the X5. All nice vehicles, but I felt the GX had the best to offer in terms of luxury, ride comfort and off-roading capacity. Some of the crossovers have a very long wheelbase and the angle of attack/exit is likely to be a problem on some trails.

I've owned 3 full SUVs in the past 8 years (Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, Nissan Pathfinde LE and now my GX/sport package) and I took them all off-roading, deep into Northern Quebec on fishing trips, or in the snowy hills of the eastern Townships and across New England.

Here's my appreciation of recent test drives:
General handling, comfort, etc.
• SUV-wannabe station wagons handle far better, likely corner better, and you can probably pull more Gs on a track with those (more car like), but one thing was clear when I tried them, they did not compare to the GX for comfort. Anyways, if you really want Gs, buy a sports car, not a crossover.

• Manufacturers are trying hard to blend off-roading capability, mini-van hauling capacity, sports car handling and luxury saloon in a crossover. Pretty damn nuts if you ask me. In making the crossovers more sporty-like, they actually imparied the comfort. And most luxury SUVs are often more comfortable due to superior interiors and less of a focus on sporty feel.

• When I tried them, I found that the CX-9 and MDX ride were very stiff compared to the GX. It could be the big wheels/tire combo and the firmer seats. The Acadia was like that too, but the highway ride was very balanced between feel and comfort (plush ride). Then toying with the suspension adjustment on my GX, I found that I can bring the sporty ride/handling very close to the sports crossovers, and you're still in a more comfortable, more silent, more luxurious vehicle.

• I was amazed at how comfortable the Buick Enclave is but I don't trust its reliability, and it seemed quite underpowered. Probably because it weighs so damn much. Really plush and nice, but stupid AWD tranny and underpowered.

Offroading and past experience on Quebec trails
• JEEP and LAND ROVER are the true kings of off-roading and capable traction, and I would say that my GX is really not far behind. I WILL take the GX out on fishing trips this spring like I did with my Jeep and my Pathfinder and this is why I finally backed down from buying somethings like a GMC Acadia, the MDX or the CX-9. Getting stuck on muddy trails every 5 miles is no fun.

• Over the past 7 years, I had to drag people out of mud with my Jeep quite a few times. My Pathfinder was not bad, but the V6 toque didn't compare to the V8 in my JEEP, nor did the 4WD traction, and so I left the hauling of others out of dire situations to Jeep owners. I had one close call with the Pathfinder where the 4-LO took all the car had to offer to get me out of mud.

• Now is the AWD systems on the other vehicles comparable to a true 4WD? Not in a thousand years. Yeah they work fine in snow for your daily drive, etc., but they JUST cannot compare. You can discuss off-roading capability of AWD vehicles among this bunch, but comparing them to what Jeep, Land Rover, GX/LX/4 Runner have to offer is an insult to any true 4WD enthusiast. Even an insult to Audi and Subaru if you ask me. THey have the next best thing to a full 4wd system.

If I had to rank them for offroading:
Top Choice: Land Rover, Jeep
(Center diff with mechanical lock, with torque transfer.)

2nd Choice: GX 470, 4-runner,
(Center diff with limited slip and lock)

3rd Choice: Subaru Forrester/Subaru Outback/Audi Q7
(quattro still relevant after all these years)

4th Choice: Whatever crossover (MDX, CX-9, Acadia)
(delivering torque at high RPM is bad for offroading or towing)

Making any inference on how good or bad this or that car is based only on snowpack driving is insufficient to assess offroading capability. Come with me to Northern Quebec i'll be happy to drag you out of mudpits and snowbanks when your MDX gets stuck.

Oh ya, and with a stiff and limited travel suspension, I know a good dentist to replace your fallen tooth fillings when we return !

No hard feelings, the MDX is a gorgeous vehicle and if you dont need serious offroading capacity and you prefer an SUV or Crossover instead of a 4-door sedan, then this is probably what I'd get, followed by the CX-9

Last edited by ben_caron; 02-09-08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 09:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_caron
Wow this thread is derailing into near-hate comments. Let's please keep it cool and civilized.

Och, sorry friend, but with a comment like "Both vehicles are marketed as Luxury SUVs, and the GX is just substandard with its **** poor handling and silly rear axle", it is quite obvious that you NEVER set foot on a mud trail. Otherwise you would know better than making such comments.

I tried, tested and owned a lot of cars in my life. And just before I took the plunge for the GX, I tested nearly everything under the sun. In December, I tried the Acadia, the Enclave, the CX-9, the MDX, the Xc-90 and the X5. All nice vehicles, but I felt the GX had the best to offer in terms of luxury, ride comfort and off-roading capacity. Some of the crossovers have a very long wheelbase and the angle of attack/exit is likely to be a problem on some trails.

I've owned 3 full SUVs in the past 8 years (Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, Nissan Pathfinde LE and now my GX/sport package) and I took them all off-roading, deep into Northern Quebec on fishing trips, or in the snowy hills of the eastern Townships and across New England.

Here's my appreciation of recent test drives:
General handling, comfort, etc.
• SUV-wannabe station wagons handle far better, likely corner better, and you can probably pull more Gs on a track with those (more car like), but one thing was clear when I tried them, they did not compare to the GX for comfort. Anyways, if you really want Gs, buy a sports car, not a crossover.

• Manufacturers are trying hard to blend off-roading capability, mini-van hauling capacity, sports car handling and luxury saloon in a crossover. Pretty damn nuts if you ask me. In making the crossovers more sporty-like, they actually imparied the comfort. And most luxury SUVs are often more comfortable due to superior interiors and less of a focus on sporty feel.

• When I tried them, I found that the CX-9 and MDX ride were very stiff compared to the GX. It could be the big wheels/tire combo and the firmer seats. The Acadia was like that too, but the highway ride was very balanced between feel and comfort (plush ride). Then toying with the suspension adjustment on my GX, I found that I can bring the sporty ride/handling very close to the sports crossovers, and you're still in a more comfortable, more silent, more luxurious vehicle.

• I was amazed at how comfortable the Buick Enclave is but I don't trust its reliability, and it seemed quite underpowered. Probably because it weighs so damn much. Really plush and nice, but stupid AWD tranny and underpowered.

Offroading and past experience on Quebec trails
• JEEP and LAND ROVER are the true kings of off-roading and capable traction, and I would say that my GX is really not far behind. I WILL take the GX out on fishing trips this spring like I did with my Jeep and my Pathfinder and this is why I finally backed down from buying somethings like a GMC Acadia, the MDX or the CX-9. Getting stuck on muddy trails every 5 miles is no fun.

• Over the past 7 years, I had to drag people out of mud with my Jeep quite a few times. My Pathfinder was not bad, but the V6 toque didn't compare to the V8 in my JEEP, nor did the 4WD traction, and so I left the hauling of others out of dire situations to Jeep owners. I had one close call with the Pathfinder where the 4-LO took all the car had to offer to get me out of mud.

• Now is the AWD systems on the other vehicles comparable to a true 4WD? Not in a thousand years. Yeah they work fine in snow for your daily drive, etc., but they JUST cannot compare. You can discuss off-roading capability of AWD vehicles among this bunch, but comparing them to what Jeep, Land Rover, GX/LX/4 Runner have to offer is an insult to any true 4WD enthusiast. Even an insult to Audi and Subaru if you ask me. THey have the next best thing to a full 4wd system.

Making any inference on how good or bad this or that car is based only on snowpack driving is insufficient to assess offroading capability. Come with me to Northern Quebec i'll be happy to drag you out of mudpits and snowbanks when your MDX gets stuck.

Oh ya, and with a stiff and limited travel suspension, I know a good dentist to replace your fallen tooth fillings when we return !

No hard feelings, the MDX is a gorgeous vehicle and if you dont need serious offroading capacity and you prefer an SUV or Crossover instead of a 4-door sedan, then this is probably what I'd get, followed by the CX-9
I agree with you on most of your points, but the fact still stands that most GX owners will never even think about taking their GX offroading, and for on-road use the GX, IMO, is just substandard. Even Ford/Lincoln developed an independant suspension system for their Explorer/Expedition/Navigator SUVs.
Old 02-09-08, 09:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ben_caron

Well, MDX has the SH-AWD system which is defenately superior to Subaru's and Audi's, albeit being more expensive.
Old 02-09-08, 10:10 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, MDX has the SH-AWD system which is defenately superior to Subaru's and Audi's, albeit being more expensive.
Och,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but as your knowledge of SUV's and their drivetrains is painfully limited based on your post above do you really feel that anyone here really places much credence in your opinion on the GX?

You thought the GX was RWD.... How can anyone possibly take your seriously at this point when you missed the fundamentals to begin with.

You came on board talking about the MDX being better than the GX yet provided nothing to substantiate your stance other than to prove to all of us that you know nothing about the GX and yet you are trying to make comparisons.

At this point a person would bow down gracefully and exit the scene, perhaps pick up a brochure or two and read up on the subject matter so that you can come back with some knowledge that could be useful instead of your comments like "it is a rebadged Toyota" when your driving one as well.

ben_caron, nice post. Good information in there

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-09-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 10:35 AM
craniotes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought my MDX Sport/Ent I looked at pretty much every SUV/CUV in the market, including the GX. In the end, I went for the MDX because for my needs (zero off-roading, one long slippery driveway, one growing toddler), it fit the best. Notice the "zero off-roading" bit, because it's important. If I had the need or desire to some serious (or even semi-serious) mudding, there's no question in my mind that an LR3 or GX would be sitting in my garage right now (probably the GX simply from a reliability standpoint). When the going gets rough, a CUV like the MDX simply doesn't cut it. Yes, SH-AWD is nothing short of amazing taking a decreasing radius turn at over twice the posted speed limit, but it means diddley-squat if you're presented with a 20% incline in 5" of mud/snow with a base of dead leaves thrown in for good measure. That's when you want a true SUV with locking diffs, a solid rear axle and body-on-frame ruggedness.

On road, for 90% of the driving that most folks do, the GX is quieter and rides just as smoothly as the MDX, IMO. However, when you feel like hitting that extra 10% (which I do quite often), the MDX can run circles around the GX (that's where the SH-AWD, adaptive magnetic independent suspension come into play). The torque-vectoring feels makes it feel as though the hand of God came down and pushed you through the corner. In addition, the MDX's interior has more useable passenger and cargo space than the GX, due in large part to its extreme width (a huge negative on tight trails), the RES is better integrated into vehicle, and the nav system allows you to program it on-the-fly right out of the box -- a very nice touch. However, when it comes to fit and finish, it's clear that Acura cut corners where Lexus didn't. The cabin and switchgear of the GX may be showing its age, but it's still exquisitely detailed and put together with no compromises. I think the last C&D comparo the GX was featured in compared it to a Bentley -- 'nuff said. True, the new MDX Sport won the test, but C&D's bias has always been towards on-road handling and performance.

So, for guys like me who use their SUVs (or "CUVs" in the case of the MDX) as their primary on-road vehicle, the MDX may makes a bit more sense, but for those who need some serious off-road capability and don't want to sacrifice anything in the way of luxury and on-road comfort (like my neighbor -- his driveway is long enough to show up on my nav system as a road, and he plows it himself with an old LandCruiser), it's hard to beat the GX.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Adam

Last edited by craniotes; 02-09-08 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 10:39 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by craniotes
Lest you begin to think that all MDX owners are ill-informed fanboys, please allow me to speak on our behalf. Before I bought my MDX Sport/Ent I looked at pretty much every SUV/CUV in the market, including the GX. In the end, I went for the MDX because for my needs (zero off-roading, one long slippery driveway, one growing toddler), it fit the best. Notice the "zero off-roading" bit, because it's important. If I had the need or desire to some serious (or even semi-serious) mudding, there's no question in my mind that an LR3 or GX would be sitting in my garage right now (probably the GX simply from a reliability standpoint). When the going gets rough, a CUV like the MDX simply doesn't cut it. Yes, SH-AWD is nothing short of amazing taking a decreasing radius turn at over twice the posted speed limit, but it means next to nothing if you're presented with a 20% incline in 5" of mud/snow with a base of dead leaves thrown in for good measure. That's when you want a true SUV with locking diffs, a solid rear axle and body-on-frame ruggedness.

On road, for 90% of the driving that most folks do, the GX is quieter and rides just as smoothly as the MDX, IMO. However, when you feel like hitting that extra 10% (which I do quite often), the MDX can run circles around the GX (that's where the SH-AWD, adaptive magnetic independent suspension come into play). I will also say that the MDX's interior has more useable passenger and cargo space than the GX, due in large part to its extreme width, and the RES is better integrated into vehicle. Another nice touch is the nav system, which allows you to program it on-the-fly right out of the box. However, when it comes to fit and finish, it's clear that Acura cut corners where Lexus didn't. The cabin and switchgear of the GX may be showing its age, but it's still exquisitely detailed and put together with no compromises. I think the last C&D comparo the GX was featured in compared it to a Bentley -- 'nuff said. True, the new MDX Sport won the test, but C&D's bias has always been towards on-road handling and performance.

So, for guys like me who use their SUVs (or "CUVs" in the case of the MDX) as their primary on-road vehicle, the MDX may makes a bit more sense, but for those who need some serious off-road capability and don't want to sacrifice anything in the way of luxury and on-road comfort (like my neighbor -- his driveway is long enough to show up on my nav system as a road, and he plows it himself with an old LandCruiser), it's hard to beat the GX.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Adam
Adam, excellent post and thanks for sharing.
Also welcome board CL
Lee
Old 02-09-08, 11:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Och,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but as your knowledge of SUV's and their drivetrains is painfully limited based on your post above do you really feel that anyone here really places much credence in your opinion on the GX?

You thought the GX was RWD.... How can anyone possibly take your seriously at this point when you missed the fundamentals to begin with.

You came on board talking about the MDX being better than the GX yet provided nothing to substantiate your stance other than to prove to all of us that you know nothing about the GX and yet you are trying to make comparisons.

At this point a person would bow down gracefully and exit the scene, perhaps pick up a brochure or two and read up on the subject matter so that you can come back with some knowledge that could be useful instead of your comments like "it is a rebadged Toyota" when your driving one as well.

ben_caron, nice post. Good information in there
Well, you seem to be missing my point here. The reason I even entered this thread in the first place, is because of the rather ignorant comments that were made here towards the MDX - just read the very first page of this thread. You have people in this thread calling MDX "near luxury" or "still a Honda", so I politely reminded them that GX is a rebadged 4Runner, with identical drivetrain.

As far as 4WD systems, I'm not arguing that the GX isn't superior offroad, I'm pretty sure that is, but I'm also sure that the MDX will give it a good run for the money. Based on my experience with the previous gen MDX, it never had any problems in the snow, I specifically took it into deep snow for fun, and it never hesistated. With the new MDX SH-AWD system it can only get better. Now, I don't know about rock climbing and all, I guess the MDX isn't suited for that, but then again, for hardcore offroading there are better choices than the GX. On the contrary, the 96 or 97 4Runner that my parents had back in the days would fishtail BADLY under hard acceleration from a stop even in rainy weather, while the MDX never fishtailed no matter how hard you gunned it, despite having a lot more power.

As far as everything else, the MDX is superior to the GX hands down. It has an awesome modern interior, very well built, while the GX has these silly third row seats that fold to the sides, no rear hatch, and uncomfortable minivan like seat mounted handrests. And the overall interior in the MDX is much more solid, modern and nicely crafted, while the GX has 4runner written all over it.

As far as the drivetrain and suspension, you can't even compare the two. Like it or not, but the GX is simply substandard. The MDX will easily outbrake, outhandle, and outaccelerate the GX, without compromising the utility. Unless you go offroading or tow a boat, I can't see why would you want to get the GX over the MDX.

By the way, the ultimate offroader, the original Hummer H1, is equipped with independant suspension.

Quick Reply: No GX for me