GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

No GX for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 05:02 PM
ben_caron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interiors are subjective. I think the middle console of the MDX is straight out of a Star Trek movie, but you may like it and I'm ok with it. Minivan armrests? here again, those are quite appreciated when off-roading.
Just as solidly built without compromising the utility? Friend, a unibody structure creaks and squeals after 30 minutes of offroading...Trust me, I've seen the difference between my Jeep and Pathfinder...body on frame > unibody. No matter how many reinforcements you add to it, take your truck offroading and you'll have loose nuts, new gaps and new rattles.

Now, let's see about braking and accelerating...

Lexus GX 470 2003 Full test review by Edmunds (with older engine)
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 2.6
0 - 45 (sec): 4.9
0 - 60 (sec): 8.0
0 - 75 (sec): 12.5
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.17@83.4
30 - 0 (ft): 32.11
60 - 0 (ft): 130.77
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Excellent
Slalom (mph): 57.7
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 37.4
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Db @ Idle: 54
Db @ Full Throttle: 69
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 73
Acceleration Comments: Like its Toyota cousin, the GX's 4.7-liter V8 produces solid torque and almost leaps off the starting line. But also like its cousin the engine doesn't offer much top-end rush. The GX was about two-tenths slower through the quarter-mile than the V8 4Runner we recently test, but adjustable suspensions and Mark Levinson amplifiers aren't known for their light weight, so this is to be expected. There is no way to easily shift the automatic transmission due to the convoluted shift gate pattern, so the best times come from just leaving it in Drive.
Handling Comments: Our previous experience with Toyota's 4Runner was mirrored here. Specifically, the VSC made it difficult to get the GX through the slalom as rapidly as we would have liked. This electronic nanny cannot be defeated, so the fastest times come from balancing the SUV between aggressive turn-in and VSC intrusion. I did manage a slightly better time in the Lexus than the Toyota, and that can likely be attributed to the adjustable suspension, which I set at max "sport" mode for slalom testing. A faster slalom speed is possible...but not without cutting some VSC sensor wires. — Karl Brauer
Braking Comments: Braking power was strong, with the GX coming to a halt in 130 feet (a short distance for a 4,700-pound truck). Brake pedal action was progressive and ABS kickback non-existent. This vehicle weighs more than a 4Runner but stopped slighty shorter than that vehicle. The pedal also had a more confident feel, so if you're thinking the GX is just a rebadged Toyota...well, you're still right, but it certainly stops better than the lower-cost version.

Acura MDX 2007 Full Test Review by Edmunds
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 3.3
0 - 45 (sec): 5.3
0 - 60 (sec): 8.1 << wow, lexus is faster!!!
0 - 75 (sec): 11.5
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.0 @ 88.9 << dang, the MDX has a 0.17 sec on 1/4 mile
30 - 0 (ft): 33
60 - 0 (ft): 134 << OMG I thought it would "outbrake"
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): N/A
Slalom (mph): 62.6
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.82 << this is where Acura shines
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): N/A
Db @ Idle: N/A
Db @ Full Throttle: N/A
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: N/A
Acceleration Comments: Engine sounds rough at high rpm — not very Honda-like. Also lacks punch down low — very Honda-like. Brake torque launch doesn't help accel.
Handling Comments: .82g for a 3-row SUV is outstanding. Balance tends toward understeer (duh). Better than so many large cars. SH-AWD works its magic in the slalom by transferring torque in intuitive, easily controlled bursts during transitions. It's obvious what's going on and it's obviously working right.
Braking Comments: Obvious fade after four runs despite consistent pedal feel. <<< Obvious fade? on a sport-oriented CUV?

Edmunds' Mazda Cx-9 2997 full test (with the smaller engine, 2008 is better)
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 2.9
0 - 45 (sec): 5.1
0 - 60 (sec): 7.7 << omg, that puny mazda outdoes the Acura?
0 - 75 (sec): 11.8
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.2 @ 87.2
30 - 0 (ft): 34
60 - 0 (ft): 136 << our sub-standard Lexus outbrakes them all even with a live rear axle! pretty nifty!
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Average
Slalom (mph): 58.8
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.77 << phew, close call!
Db @ Idle: 40.4
Db @ Full Throttle: 72.9
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 66.7 <<< that is BMW/Merc territory!!!
Acceleration Comments: Upshifts are very fast and very smooth. We discovered that disabling the traction control only lasts up to a certain speed (20 mph?) after which it resets to "on." Even on, the TRC allows a useful amount of wheelspin before intervening.
Handling Comments: Good steering weight and response, but hard effort through the slalom is punished with aggressive stability control. On the skid pad, there is lots of body roll. Stability control also limits performance here.
Braking Comments: It's unusual to be able to detect EBD, but in the CX-9 each stop consisted of many left/right brake applications -- not so much that I needed to steer, but noticeable nonetheless. << I know for a fact that Mazda wheels/tires combo have braking issues.

And GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook 2007
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 3.1
0 - 60 (sec): 8.2 0 - 75 (sec): 12.8 << slumbering beast? not quite
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.6 @ 84.5
60 - 0 (ft): 135 << 5ft. longer than the GX
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Slalom (mph): 57.1
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.72
<< GX cant keep up with crossovers on the slalom track.
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Average
Db @ Idle: 45.2
Db @ Full Throttle: 78.1
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 66.0
Acceleration Comments: The best acceleration run was achieved with Trac off and a hint of wheelspin off the line. Upshifts are well damped and do not cause any unwelcome "head-toss." While there is no redline indicated, wide-open throttle shifts occur at 6,800 rpm. By the way, this engine sounds terrific, unlike some other V6 CUVs we've recently tested. Either the "D" or "L6" shifter position works equally well, with the L6 position always offering the option of manual shifts — while the "D" position will not allow operation of the button shifter. There is a bit of a dip in acceleration in the middle of 3rd gear. (Note: The brake pedal got very soft by the end of the third quarter-mile run <<< typical american cars, they got poor brakes.)
Handling Comments: As with most family-oriented vehicles, the stability system cannot be fully defeated. As a result, the slalom and skid pad performances are limited by the Outlook's electronic "nanny" rather than its suspension and tires. That said, the steering is accurate and responsive, if a little too light and effortless for my taste. I could feel that given the opportunity (disabling stability control) that the Outlook would eventually oversteer in the slalom test. On the skid pad, that same nanny keeps the understeer at bay and applies the brakes before the steering becomes ineffective.
Braking Comments: In normal, everyday driving, the brake pedal feels firm and offers the kind of feedback we like; however, at the limit of a full-ABS stop, the long pedal travel and mushy resistance are not optimal. While there is good stopping power (three successive stops under 140 feet) and the ABS remains quiet and effective, we did find fading effectiveness during the higher-speed acceleration tests where the brake pedal became noticeably soft and the stopping power waned.

So now I guess Edmunds is full of it, and that MT is stupid for putting the CX-9 ahead of the MDX?

All considered, given that the only place where the Acura outdoes the GX is on a slalom track, then maybe we chose the GX for the extra comfort, the smoother ride, the quality seats and driving position, the reliability and durability?

This is a never ending debate, tastes and preferences are unique and subjective, and honestly, like I said, I like the Acura a lot and I know it will out-handle even some 4-door sedans. But please stop with the claims and comments about the GX being sub-standard because it clearly ain't.

Last edited by ben_caron; 02-09-08 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 06:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well, you seem to be missing my point here. The reason I even entered this thread in the first place, is because of the rather ignorant comments that were made here towards the MDX - just read the very first page of this thread. You have people in this thread calling MDX "near luxury" or "still a Honda", so I politely reminded them that GX is a rebadged 4Runner, with identical drivetrain.

As far as 4WD systems, I'm not arguing that the GX isn't superior offroad, I'm pretty sure that is, but I'm also sure that the MDX will give it a good run for the money. Based on my experience with the previous gen MDX, it never had any problems in the snow, I specifically took it into deep snow for fun, and it never hesistated. With the new MDX SH-AWD system it can only get better. Now, I don't know about rock climbing and all, I guess the MDX isn't suited for that, but then again, for hardcore offroading there are better choices than the GX. On the contrary, the 96 or 97 4Runner that my parents had back in the days would fishtail BADLY under hard acceleration from a stop even in rainy weather, while the MDX never fishtailed no matter how hard you gunned it, despite having a lot more power.

As far as everything else, the MDX is superior to the GX hands down. It has an awesome modern interior, very well built, while the GX has these silly third row seats that fold to the sides, no rear hatch, and uncomfortable minivan like seat mounted handrests. And the overall interior in the MDX is much more solid, modern and nicely crafted, while the GX has 4runner written all over it.

As far as the drivetrain and suspension, you can't even compare the two. Like it or not, but the GX is simply substandard. The MDX will easily outbrake, outhandle, and outaccelerate the GX, without compromising the utility. Unless you go offroading or tow a boat, I can't see why would you want to get the GX over the MDX.

By the way, the ultimate offroader, the original Hummer H1, is equipped with independant suspension.
That is your opinion. The GX is a class higher than the MDX, which does not even have a V-8 option.

The MDX is great for going to Wal-Mart, the GX is great for going to Dakar. Both blend luxury, the GX having real wood and better leather, the MDX having more tech being a newer model. The MDX is more geared to sport and the GX is more geared to being a true SUV.

Are both great vehicles? Yes. Let me remind you this is a GX forum and people here will more than likely prefer the GX.

As for brand, its not even close, Acura cannot even beat Hyundai. Lexus is a Tier I brand.

Old 02-09-08, 07:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Next time try and find someone lamer than Edmunds for performance stats. You have to try really hard to get the MDX to run 0-60 in 8.1 seconds.

Take a look at C&D review, where the MDX placed first and GX placed fifth.
Acura ran 0-60 in 7.0 seconds, while GX ran an impressive 7.2. Braking 70-0 is 170ft for MDX are 184ft for the GX. Skidpad 0.64 for the GX with excessive understeer and .86 for MDX with mild understeer.

Originally Posted by ben_caron
Interiors are subjective. I think the middle console of the MDX is straight out of a Star Trek movie, but you may like it and I'm ok with it. Minivan armrests? here again, those are quite appreciated when off-roading.
Just as solidly built without compromising the utility? Friend, a unibody structure creaks and squeals after 30 minutes of offroading...Trust me, I've seen the difference between my Jeep and Pathfinder...body on frame > unibody. No matter how many reinforcements you add to it, take your truck offroading and you'll have loose nuts, new gaps and new rattles.

Now, let's see about braking and accelerating...

Lexus GX 470 2003 Full test review by Edmunds (with older engine)
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 2.6
0 - 45 (sec): 4.9
0 - 60 (sec): 8.0
0 - 75 (sec): 12.5
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.17@83.4
30 - 0 (ft): 32.11
60 - 0 (ft): 130.77
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Excellent
Slalom (mph): 57.7
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 37.4
Db @ Idle: 54
Db @ Full Throttle: 69
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 73
Acceleration Comments: Like its Toyota cousin, the GX's 4.7-liter V8 produces solid torque and almost leaps off the starting line. But also like its cousin the engine doesn't offer much top-end rush. The GX was about two-tenths slower through the quarter-mile than the V8 4Runner we recently test, but adjustable suspensions and Mark Levinson amplifiers aren't known for their light weight, so this is to be expected. There is no way to easily shift the automatic transmission due to the convoluted shift gate pattern, so the best times come from just leaving it in Drive.
Handling Comments: Our previous experience with Toyota's 4Runner was mirrored here. Specifically, the VSC made it difficult to get the GX through the slalom as rapidly as we would have liked. This electronic nanny cannot be defeated, so the fastest times come from balancing the SUV between aggressive turn-in and VSC intrusion. I did manage a slightly better time in the Lexus than the Toyota, and that can likely be attributed to the adjustable suspension, which I set at max "sport" mode for slalom testing. A faster slalom speed is possible...but not without cutting some VSC sensor wires. — Karl Brauer
Braking Comments: Braking power was strong, with the GX coming to a halt in 130 feet (a short distance for a 4,700-pound truck). Brake pedal action was progressive and ABS kickback non-existent. This vehicle weighs more than a 4Runner but stopped slighty shorter than that vehicle. The pedal also had a more confident feel, so if you're thinking the GX is just a rebadged Toyota...well, you're still right, but it certainly stops better than the lower-cost version.

Acura MDX 2007 Full Test Review by Edmunds
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 3.3
0 - 60 (sec): 8.1 << wow, lexus is faster!!!
0 - 75 (sec): 11.5
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.0 @ 88.9 << dang, the MDX has a 0.17 sec on 1/4 mile
30 - 0 (ft): 33
60 - 0 (ft): 134 << OMG I thought it would "outbrake"
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): N/A
Slalom (mph): 62.6
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.82 << this is where Acura shines
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): N/A
Db @ Idle: N/A
Db @ Full Throttle: N/A
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: N/A
Acceleration Comments: Engine sounds rough at high rpm — not very Honda-like. Also lacks punch down low — very Honda-like. Brake torque launch doesn't help accel.
Handling Comments: .82g for a 3-row SUV is outstanding. Balance tends toward understeer (duh). Better than so many large cars. SH-AWD works its magic in the slalom by transferring torque in intuitive, easily controlled bursts during transitions. It's obvious what's going on and it's obviously working right.
Braking Comments: Obvious fade after four runs despite consistent pedal feel. <<< Obvious fade? on a sport-oriented CUV?

Edmunds' Mazda Cx-9 2997 full test (with the smaller engine, 2008 is better)
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 2.9
0 - 45 (sec): 5.1
0 - 60 (sec): 7.7 << omg, that puny mazda outdoes the Acura?
0 - 75 (sec): 11.8
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.2 @ 87.2
60 - 0 (ft): 136 << our sub-standard Lexus outbrakes them all even with a live rear axle! pretty nifty!
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Average
Slalom (mph): 58.8
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.77 << phew, close call!
Db @ Idle: 40.4
Db @ Full Throttle: 72.9
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 66.7 <<< that is BMW/Merc territory!!!
Acceleration Comments: Upshifts are very fast and very smooth. We discovered that disabling the traction control only lasts up to a certain speed (20 mph?) after which it resets to "on." Even on, the TRC allows a useful amount of wheelspin before intervening.
Handling Comments: Good steering weight and response, but hard effort through the slalom is punished with aggressive stability control. On the skid pad, there is lots of body roll. Stability control also limits performance here.
Braking Comments: It's unusual to be able to detect EBD, but in the CX-9 each stop consisted of many left/right brake applications -- not so much that I needed to steer, but noticeable nonetheless. << I know for a fact that Mazda wheels/tires combo have braking issues.

And GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook 2007
Performance Top
0 - 30 (sec): 3.1
0 - 60 (sec): 8.2 0 - 75 (sec): 12.8 << slumbering beast? not quite
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 16.6 @ 84.5
60 - 0 (ft): 135 << 5ft. longer than the GX
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Slalom (mph): 57.1
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.72
<< GX cant keep up with crossovers on the slalom track.
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Average
Db @ Idle: 45.2
Db @ Full Throttle: 78.1
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 66.0
Acceleration Comments: The best acceleration run was achieved with Trac off and a hint of wheelspin off the line. Upshifts are well damped and do not cause any unwelcome "head-toss." While there is no redline indicated, wide-open throttle shifts occur at 6,800 rpm. By the way, this engine sounds terrific, unlike some other V6 CUVs we've recently tested. Either the "D" or "L6" shifter position works equally well, with the L6 position always offering the option of manual shifts — while the "D" position will not allow operation of the button shifter. There is a bit of a dip in acceleration in the middle of 3rd gear. (Note: The brake pedal got very soft by the end of the third quarter-mile run <<< typical american cars, they got poor brakes.)
Handling Comments: As with most family-oriented vehicles, the stability system cannot be fully defeated. As a result, the slalom and skid pad performances are limited by the Outlook's electronic "nanny" rather than its suspension and tires. That said, the steering is accurate and responsive, if a little too light and effortless for my taste. I could feel that given the opportunity (disabling stability control) that the Outlook would eventually oversteer in the slalom test. On the skid pad, that same nanny keeps the understeer at bay and applies the brakes before the steering becomes ineffective.
Braking Comments: In normal, everyday driving, the brake pedal feels firm and offers the kind of feedback we like; however, at the limit of a full-ABS stop, the long pedal travel and mushy resistance are not optimal. While there is good stopping power (three successive stops under 140 feet) and the ABS remains quiet and effective, we did find fading effectiveness during the higher-speed acceleration tests where the brake pedal became noticeably soft and the stopping power waned.

So now I guess Edmunds is full of it, and that MT is stupid for putting the CX-9 ahead of the MDX?

All considered, given that the only place where the Acura outdoes the GX is on a slalom track, then maybe we chose the GX for the extra comfort, the smoother ride, the quality seats and driving position, the reliability and durability?

This is a never ending debate, tastes and preferences are unique and subjective, and honestly, like I said, I like the Acura a lot and I know it will out-handle even some 4-door sedans. But please stop with the claims and comments about the GX being sub-standard because it clearly ain't.
Old 02-09-08, 07:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is your opinion. The GX is a class higher than the MDX, which does not even have a V-8 option.

The MDX is great for going to Wal-Mart, the GX is great for going to Dakar. Both blend luxury, the GX having real wood and better leather, the MDX having more tech being a newer model. The MDX is more geared to sport and the GX is more geared to being a true SUV.

Are both great vehicles? Yes. Let me remind you this is a GX forum and people here will more than likely prefer the GX.

As for brand, its not even close, Acura cannot even beat Hyundai. Lexus is a Tier I brand.
Are you 100% confident that MDX uses fake wood? I know the last gen MDX used fake wood, but the new one has gorgeous wood trim that is so precisely cut and looks very real. On the other hand, I believe that wood trim in my GS is fake, although also very good looking. Not that it matters - to me as long as it looks and feels good, I dont care whether it's real or not.
Old 02-09-08, 08:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Aren't Jeep and Pathfinder both body on frame? Both with solid rear axle? My parents once owned a 99 Infiniti Qx4, which is based on the Pathfinder, and it was the worst POS that I've ever driven, possibly even worse than the new Grand Cherokee they own now.

Extra comfort? How is it more comfortable? It's so tall that shorter people have trouble getting into it, it has rear door instead of hatch, it leans so much in turns that you slide all over the seat.

Smoother ride? How is it possible with a solid rear axle and body on frame? Softer maybe, but not smoother.

Quality seats and driving position? What is so quality about these seats with tiny uncomfortable armrests and trucklike driving position? The Acura is a lot more egronomic.

Reliability and durability? Last time I've checked Acura/Honda was doing very well in reliability department, while Lexus/Toyota are issuing recall after recall.

Well, I've never owned a GX, but my parents have owned quite a few SUVs, particularly an 01 MDX (that survived for over 70K miles without a single oil change), a 99 Qx4 (engine rebuilt at 40K, because oil was never changed), a 96 or 98 4Runner, 90something Grand Cherokee, and the current Grand Cherokee Hemi. And the MDX was the only one of them that I actually liked, and the rest of them with solid rear axle and body on frame were just unpleasant to drive at all. They are now looking to get the new MDX once their Grand Cherokee refuses to take anymore abuse.
Old 02-09-08, 09:00 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure if believe him a 100%. Here is one of his posts on edmunds, he is saying even the 4runner, GX470 and the LX dont have a Torsen diff:

"NO torsen in the 4runner after 2003, apparently one year only...!
Cannot find any documentation that the torsen was used after 2003 but lots of stuff indicating TRAC was used in its place. Same for the Lexus GX & LX series.
Strange, very.
Lot of component pictures/diagrams/breakouts of the VF4AM transfer across the years and models but only the 2003 4runner shows a torsen. "

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.eeca1cf/2151
G Man, he knows a lot about the AWD system on Toyotas...he has claim that he does not know much about the 4wd systems on Toyota trucks.
Old 02-09-08, 09:09 PM
tigmd99
Racer

:
Top Choice: Land Rover, Jeep
(Center diff with mechanical lock, with torque transfer.)

2nd Choice: GX 470, 4-runner,
(Center diff with limited slip and lock)
Actually, the 4runner/GX470 has a mechanical Torsen center diff with torque transfer...in reality, it is actually SUPERIOR to the Land Rover and Jeep center diffs.
Old 02-09-08, 09:14 PM
craniotes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven both a 2006 GX (my neighbor's) and a 2007 MDX Sport (mine) extensively, I can say that on-road, the MDX pretty much trumps the GX in every department. It's faster (sorry, it is) and it handles better (seriously, .86g isn't a typo). With respect to the latter, the MDX is nothing short of a revelation in that it's actually fun to hustle on back roads. Set the suspension to "sport", slap the shifter into manual-mode and go nuts. However, the GX is quieter at speed, and the fit and finish of the interior is definitely a step above the MDX.

As for which looks nicer inside, that's entirely subjective. Personally, I prefer the more modern "Star Trek" look of the MDX, but there's no denying the genuine wood trim and electroluminescent gauges of the GX conspire to create a warm and inviting environment (and no, the MDX does not feature real wood trim -- plood all the way, folks). I would also give the nod to the MDX for front and rear seat comfort, particularly in back, where the outboard seats mimic the fronts. There's also a lot more elbow room in the X thanks to its width, which also translates into more useable cargo space (43 cu. ft. behind the second row). This is important to me since I leave the stroller back there, as well as a box of toys pretty much all the time.

I also find the MDXs third row to be more practical than the GXs. True, neither are usable for full-size American fatties, but for kids they're fine, and the ones in the MDX fold flat and deploy in one, fluid movement. The seats in the GX are easy enough to use, but that solid axle prevents them from sinking into the floor, which means they eat up cargo room when they're not being used (unless you remove them, which sort of defeats the purpose).

In terms of ride quality, in sport mode, the MDX is definitely harsher than the X, but in comfort mode they're pretty much on par with one another (with the nod going to the more softly sprung GX). However there's less head toss in the X over rough roads, thanks perhaps to the independent rear suspension.

In conclusion, as a daily driver on pavement, IMO the MDX is a better car (notice that I said "car"). But again, if life takes you off-road, a true SUV like the GX beats the MDX like a bad monkey, and the trade-off is negligible for most drivers.

Vive la difference, I say.

Regards
Old 02-09-08, 09:21 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
As far as 4WD systems, I'm not arguing that the GX isn't superior offroad, I'm pretty sure that is, but I'm also sure that the MDX will give it a good run for the money.

On the contrary, the 96 or 97 4Runner that my parents had back in the days would fishtail BADLY under hard acceleration from a stop even in rainy weather, while the MDX never fishtailed no matter how hard you gunned it, despite having a lot more power.

By the way, the ultimate offroader, the original Hummer H1, is equipped with independant suspension.
Och, you need to really stop typing...you're sounding like an idiot!

No, MDX will NOT give GX a run for the money because it does not have a 4wd system that will take it far off-road, nor even protection (skidplates). It control arms are low enough to pick up road kill much less go off-road. There is nothing on the MDX that you can call off-road. Period.

Your parent's '96-97 4runner had an old part-time 4wd system. That is, on dry land, it is essentially a 2wd (RWD) vehicle. (You can only shift to 4wd when off-roading or in snow.) At that time (before 2001), there was no such thing as stability control, nor traction control. So, yes, as a RWD SUV withOUT any electronic aid, it will slide in the rain...just like any RWD car. You cannot compare your parents 4runner with that of a modern SUV, 4runner/GX or MDX. If you do so, then it is clear that you have no freaking clue what you're talking about. BTW, you talk like you're a pimple-popping kid! Am i right?

The Hummer H1 is not an "ultimate off-roader". If you drive on sand a lot or need to off-road in a hurry (high speed off-roading on washboards), then it is the best...this is where independent suspension is useful. However, off-roading that involves rockcrawling, slow speed balance, then it is far from being the best...this is where independent suspension sucks. Oh yeah, the H1 is also too damn big for most trails.

This is why independent suspension sucks...even on an H1:
Attached Thumbnails No GX for me-064-medium-small-.jpg  

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-09-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 09:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Great writeup. I would also like to add that the HID headlights in the new MDX seriously rock. Are they active like some lexus models? Are GX headlights active?

Originally Posted by craniotes
Having driven both a 2006 GX (my neighbor's) and a 2007 MDX Sport (mine) extensively, I can say that on-road, the MDX pretty much trumps the GX in every department. It's faster (sorry, it is) and it handles better (seriously, .86g isn't a typo). With respect to the latter, the MDX is nothing short of a revelation in that it's actually fun to hustle on back roads. Set the suspension to "sport", slap the shifter into manual-mode and go nuts. However, the GX is quieter at speed, and the fit and finish of the interior is definitely a step above the MDX.

As for which looks nicer inside, that's entirely subjective. Personally, I prefer the more modern "Star Trek" look of the MDX, but there's no denying the genuine wood trim and electroluminescent gauges of the GX conspire to create a warm and inviting environment (and no, the MDX does not feature real wood trim -- plood all the way, folks). I would also give the nod to the MDX for front and rear seat comfort, particularly in back, where the outboard seats mimic the fronts. There's also a lot more elbow room in the X thanks to its width, which also translates into more useable cargo space (43 cu. ft. behind the second row). This is important to me since I leave the stroller back there, as well as a box of toys pretty much all the time.

I also find the MDXs third row to be more practical than the GXs. True, neither are usable for full-size American fatties, but for kids they're fine, and the ones in the MDX fold flat and deploy in one, fluid movement. The seats in the GX are easy enough to use, but that solid axle prevents them from sinking into the floor, which means they eat up cargo room when they're not being used (unless you remove them, which sort of defeats the purpose).

In terms of ride quality, in sport mode, the MDX is definitely harsher than the X, but in comfort mode they're pretty much on par with one another (with the nod going to the more softly sprung GX). However there's less head toss in the X over rough roads, thanks perhaps to the independent rear suspension.

In conclusion, as a daily driver on pavement, IMO the MDX is a better car (notice that I said "car"). But again, if life takes you off-road, a true SUV like the GX beats the MDX like a bad monkey, and the trade-off is negligible for most drivers.

Vive la difference, I say.

Regards
Old 02-09-08, 09:29 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Pathfinder both body on frame?

an 01 MDX (that survived for over 70K miles without a single oil change), a 99 Qx4 (engine rebuilt at 40K, because oil was never changed)

Smoother ride? How is it possible with a solid rear axle and body on frame? Softer maybe, but not smoother.
First off, your parents are just about as smart as you apparently for not changing the oil for 70,000 miles! How can you miss that long?? Your parents need "Blondstar" on their next vehicle.

Pathfinders was originally body-on-frame design, but switched to unibody on the previous (prior to current) generation.

Lexus/Toyota have been very good at making a smooth solid axle. This is why the LX470/Land Cruiser have won praises for their smooth ride despite having a solid rear axle. (Remember, you have respect for the Land Cruiser, right??) This is the same for the GX/4runner. Toyota 4runner/GX rides much smoother than many other unibodied independent suspension vehicles. Does it ride smoother than MDX 2nd gen?? I don't know...but i did drive the previous gen MDX and it sucked due to loud road noise and uninspired ride. So, there goes your theory of independent suspension.

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-09-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99

No, MDX will NOT give GX a run for the money because it does not have a 4wd system that will take it far off-road, nor even protection (skidplates). It control arms are low enough to pick up road kill much less go off-road. There is nothing on the MDX that you can call off-road. Period.
Well, I don't know about the new MDX, but the old MDX had a 4WD mode switch, that according to the manual activated the full 4WD system, which is intended for use while offroading, and had to be shut down on pavement above 18mph. As far as the low control arms, I don't think they are much lower then the rear differential in the GX.

Your parent's '96-97 4runner had an old part-time 4wd system. That is, on dry land, it is essentially a 2wd (RWD) vehicle. (You can only shift to 4wd when off-roading or in snow.) At that time (before 2001), there was no such thing as stability control, nor traction control. So, yes, as a RWD SUV withOUT any electronic aid, it will slide in the rain...just like any RWD car. You cannot compare your parents 4runner with that of a modern SUV, 4runner or MDX.
Well, thats exactly what I thought when I posted earlier about most rear axle SUVs being RWD unless engaged in 4WD mode to get out of snow/mud. I'm not an expert on 4WD/AWD systems. But it seems that last gen MDX and current GX have fairly similar AWD systems, each being full time AWD and option to enable full 4WD. Except durability and higher ground clearance, the GX doesn't seem to have much of an advantage.

The Hummer H1 is not an "ultimate off-roader". If you drive on sand a lot or need to off-road in a hurry (high speed off-roading on washboards), then it is the best...this is where independent suspension is useful. However, off-roading that involves rockcrawling, slow speed balance, then it is far from being the best...this is where independent suspension sucks. Oh yeah, the H1 is also too damn big for most trails.

This is why independent suspension sucks...even on an H1:
Well, I'm quite sure that Hummer H1 will outrun anything offroad, stock for stock, even the Landrover. And if it's too big for a trail, it will plow its way through and make the trail bigger.
Old 02-09-08, 09:37 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Are you 100% confident that MDX uses fake wood? I know the last gen MDX used fake wood, but the new one has gorgeous wood trim that is so precisely cut and looks very real. On the other hand, I believe that wood trim in my GS is fake, although also very good looking. Not that it matters - to me as long as it looks and feels good, I dont care whether it's real or not.
Acura MDX uses fake wood. Lexus uses real wood. Your GS has real wood...because my brother has a 99 GS and he has real wood.

However, as stated above, i do have beef with Toyota for using cheapo really-looking fake wood on the new Land Cruiser.
Old 02-09-08, 09:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Och,

Your VTM-4 LOCK is NOT equal to full-time 4wd. It is just like the LOCK button on the new RAV4. It just locks the front and rear axle together for a short period of time and at certain speed. It is to be used ONLY when you're trying to get out of something...it is NOT meant to be used on a long-term basis. Your VTM system uses a bunch of clutches...at least the one that you had, i am not sure about the new MDX. Clutches burn and wear out with use. This is why VTM has been known to have a short lifespan and needs frequent fluid changes.

Here is what a member (on my forum) about his Ridgeline: "What his Cruck does in low-traction high load conditions (with lock mode selected) is spin the right front tire ONLY. There’s a note in the owners manual that strongly warns about this; it says when this occurs get pulled out."

When i went off-roading with a friend of mine many years ago in his '01 MDX, his rear diff was burning up pretty bad after trying to get out of a hole...you could smell burning rubber and oil. Oh yeah, that friend now has a GX470.

The GX center differential is made by Torsen. It distributes power to both axles all the time...at all speed. It is mechanical...no maintenance needed. There is NOTHING SIMILAR BETWEEN MDX AND GX. Nothing.

If you have been on Acuramdx.org, then you know that your ground clearance is 8.0" at the center axis of the vehicle. The control arms hang down to 7.2" off the ground. That is pretty damn low. The GX rear axle pumpkin is about 9.5" off the ground at the lowest point. The GX lowest point is the front skidplate which is 8.3" off the ground. Which would you rather have hit by a rock? Skidplate or your control arms?? You get my point?? (Oh yeah, your MDX did not even have skidplates!)

BTW, Land Rover are far from being head of the class in off-roading for you to compare an H1 to it!
Old 02-09-08, 10:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Och,

Your VTM-4 LOCK is NOT equal to full-time 4wd. It is just like the LOCK button on the new RAV4. It just locks the front and rear axle together for a short period of time and at certain speed. It is to be used ONLY when you're trying to get out of something...it is NOT meant to be used on a long-term basis. Your VTM system uses a bunch of clutches...at least the one that you had, i am not sure about the new MDX. Clutches burn and wear out with use. This is why VTM has been known to have a short lifespan and needs frequent fluid changes.

Here is what a member (on my forum) about his Ridgeline: "What his Cruck does in low-traction high load conditions (with lock mode selected) is spin the right front tire ONLY. There’s a note in the owners manual that strongly warns about this; it says when this occurs get pulled out."

When i went off-roading with a friend of mine many years ago in his '01 MDX, his rear diff was burning up pretty bad after trying to get out of a hole...you could smell burning rubber and oil. Oh yeah, that friend now has a GX470.

The GX center differential is made by Torsen. It distributes power to both axles all the time...at all speed. It is mechanical...no maintenance needed. There is NOTHING SIMILAR BETWEEN MDX AND GX. Nothing.
As far as I know, no 4WD system is intended for a prolonged use, and should only be used on low speed offroading. Sure MDX and GX have completely different systems, that work completely different, but the end result is pretty damn similar, both are full time AWD, with an option to turn on 4WD. Sure the GX is more durable, but the MDX is pretty capable too. As far as the rear differential burning up in the MDX, from what I remember the Acura sold an optional cooler to address that issue, which was recommended for those who intended to offroad their MDX.

If you have been on Acuramdx.org, then you know that your ground clearance is 8.0" at the center axis of the vehicle. The control arms hang down to 7.2" off the ground. That is pretty damn low. The GX rear axle pumpkin is about 9.5" off the ground at the lowest point. The GX lowest point is the front skidplate which is 8.3" off the ground. Which would you rather have hit by a rock? Skidplate or your control arms?? You get my point?? (Oh yeah, your MDX did not even have skidplates!)
But lets not forget that if you're driving over a rock with your tire being on top of the rock, the control arm will not be in the way, while the rear differential always hangs there and can become an obstacle. Again, I'm not trying to prove that MDX is superior to the GX in offroading, I'm sure the GX is substantially better, I'm just pointing out that each system has it's own pros and cons.

BTW, Land Rover are far from being head of the class in off-roading for you to compare an H1 to it!
Well, what is? What could compare to H1, stock, without lift kits or anything?

Quick Reply: No GX for me