GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

No GX for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 11:54 AM
xcantuaj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No GX for me

I ended up buying a 08 MDX....I already have a 4runner so to me it was to much of the same.....I know the GX has nicer features but when paying another 20k for a car that is built on the same platform...made the MDX an easy choice.
Old 12-07-07, 12:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry, but the MDX is a near luxury suv, not in the same league as the GX. The new MDX is better than the old one, but the built quality and material used is still not up to par with Lexus. Acura spend most of their money on the MDX's performance parts. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a SUV, performanace or luxury. If you already have a 4runner, it definitely doesnt make sense to buy a GX, but a 08 GX compare to a 08 4runner limited with all options except the nav is only around $3000 more the last time I check, not $20000.
Old 12-07-07, 12:36 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Congrats on your new MDX. I test drove one of the 2nd gen MDX's when they first came out, it was very nice but the luxury was at least a notch below that of the GX and it seemed cramped inside, especially in the back. Plus it has a nose that only a mother could love. But I think a crossover SUV makes better sense then a GX if you already have a rugged body on frame SUV like the 4Runner. Enjoy.
Old 12-07-07, 01:33 PM
Aristanet
Driver

MDX is a nice car but at the end of the day its still a Honda - not fair to compare it to a GX
Old 12-07-07, 03:30 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also test rode the updated MDX when it came out and also thought the overall vehicle felt kind of cheap and it certainly didn't feel like it had the claimed 300hp. Acura still has a ways to go before they approach Lexus luxury.
Old 12-07-07, 10:47 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aristanet
MDX is a nice car but at the end of the day its still a Honda - not fair to compare it to a GX
Doesn't that go for us too? (Toyota)

but yea GX>MDX
Old 12-07-07, 11:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Never understood why people come here to post when they did not buy a vehicle. For what purpose? To what end? To share what? Trying to rub something in? I suppose the next time I buy apples at the grocery store I can walk up to the grocery manager and tell him I did not buy his oranges. Now if you could share some real insight on why you chose one over the other then this thread would serve a purpose.

But yeah, the MDX is nice but I would not try to compare it to a GX.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-08-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 10:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I agree, the 2nd gen MDX is very nice, but over price, and whats up with that pimp out front grill. The top of the line MDX cost about the same as the base GX and X5. Yet both the GX and X5 has better built material. I test drove the MDX sport package when it 1st came out too. Lots of gaps that are too wide or too narrow, that means only 1 thing, the MDX has poor quality control. If you are not looking for a 7 seater, IMO the RDX is a much better buy at $10000 less.
Old 12-08-07, 01:11 PM
brickauto
Driver

The RX is probably a more equivalent platform (car-like x-over) rather than the GX when compared to the MDX.

Much like how I chose the GX over the RX (and Infinity FX) after trading in my XC90, I wanted a taller and real 4x4 platform vehicle. Not some fancy electronic AWD that is FWD biased most of the times.
Old 12-10-07, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Actually the RX's 4wd system is mech. as well. The MDX's electronic AWD system is similar to the RAV4's, but the RAV4 is much better in the snow.
Old 12-10-07, 07:43 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Never understood why people come here to post when they did not buy a vehicle. For what purpose? To what end? To share what? Trying to rub something in?"

It's called insecurity.
Old 12-10-07, 09:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

But you would think that if they need justification, they would post in the MDX forum instead
Old 12-10-07, 10:17 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on your new MDX, a friend of the family has an 04 and its a great car.

The newer ones have more power then the 04 I drove so I could imagine its a fun ride. As far as luxury is concerned I dont think its as soft as a Lexus would be.

Id have to agree with you and say the MDX is a great buy for the price. Enjoy your new Acura!!
Old 12-10-07, 05:08 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actually the RX's 4wd system is mech. as well. The MDX's electronic AWD system is similar to the RAV4's, but the RAV4 is much better in the snow.
Huh? How is MDX's SH-AWD similar to RAV4's?? I can understand that both are FWD-bias system, but that is about where it ends. The Acura's system is light years ahead of RAV4's or anything from Toyota/Lexus non-frame-based SUVs.
Old 12-11-07, 08:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thai, the RAV4 doesnt not have the SH-AWD system, but they are both electronic AWD system. As far as Acura's system being light years ahead of RAV4's or anything from Toyota/Lexus non-frame-based SUVs, thats simply not true. Toyota's VSC system is much better than Acura's and the RAV with that VSC system is much better in the snow. Toyota also have a lot experience than Honda when in comes to 4WD system.
The RAV4 also have a AWD lock, which both the RDX and MDX do not have. The only thing the MDX's AWD system have over the RAV is that it handles a bit better. If you are buying a SUV to take corners at 50 MPH, then the MDX is great for that, but I would not recommand anybody doing that in any SUV.

Quick Reply: No GX for me