GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Which HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by djzim23
I have been wondering about this...I want to put HID's in my GX but I am afraid of what the output light pattern will be like. I have a loaner from my dealer which is an '08 RX350 with HIDs and it is amazing. If I install the HID kit from xenon depot will it have a "factory" light output (light distribution is even with a crisp light planar region) like that of the RX350 or will it be the pattern of my current halogens, only whiter? Thanks!
Are you are asking if the light will be spotty? If so, it will not, it will be nice and even. The only big difference I saw was the beam focus. The HID projection lense has a wider angle beam, but its really not that noticable.
Old 04-01-09, 08:05 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi,

I don't think that anyone will honestly be able to tell you that the results will be literally identical to having OEM HID projectors. However, most will tell you that the results are pretty closed to OEM HID with the OEM halogen projectors. You also don't have to modify your stock housings or worry about condensation issues that may occur by opening them up to modify.

Steve
Old 04-01-09, 03:19 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they are not 100% identical but they are really good. Beam is a bit wider as G Man said but it does have a nice cut off. Sorry about cellphone quality, but here's a shot of mine when I left the house this AM against a sloped hillside ~ 15' away

You also do have a staggered cut (rising up on the right a hair) but you cannot see in the picture due to the varied background. It's not as clear cut as the ones above but still very good.

Just do it already - you can't beat Steve's service plus you'll love having HIDs in the GX. Hope this helps

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 04-01-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 12:42 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally installed the HID kit 4300 xtreme, it's not that difficult and a tip to those who has yet to install these, make sure everything is wired up and working, before anchoring them down with zip ties. Anchor everything on the driver side before putting in the battery, then proceed with anchoring the passenger side. I used battery jumpstart cables to test if I have a working system. I made the mistake of anchoring both sides, installed the battery, only to find out that the wiring harness coming from the passenger side is too short. I have to re anchor the relay and wirings closer to the radiator post.

This kit from Xenondepot is not that bad but needs improvements in my opinion.
First, the white socket that plugs into the vehicles wiring harness has crooked leads, after adjusting it I though everything is OK but then I noticed that the lead went out the back of the socket instead of inserting into the slot that its supposed to. This is a low quality socket.
Second, the two wiring harness, one for each side, are of equal length. So the wiring that comes from the passenger side going to the battery is a bit short, while the one from the driver side is too long. Why not have one longer than the other and designate the shorter one as "battery side" harness.
Third, the copper ring at the end of the wiring harness is too small to fit into the battery clamp post, I cut into the rings making it into a half circle and still would not fit. So I end up attaching these copper rings directly to the battery clamp screws.
Old 10-29-09, 03:41 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swapping Bulbs

I purchased a used 4300 HID kit from a CL member to replace the 6500 kit which I installed years ago from a different company.

I'm wondering if I can just swap the H-11 HID bulbs. Has anybody done that ?? Will it work ??

~ Cap
Old 10-30-09, 05:55 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi,

It will work as long as the connectors are the same between the bulb and the ballast.

Steve