GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Which HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 02:22 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with GS3TEK, xenondepot has one of the best customer service for an hidkit. If customer service is an issue, then you will want to go with xenondepot.

Plug and play kits are just that. There is no splicing and cutting or anything. You simply plug where all of the wires go and you're set.

If you buy a set and it says plug and plug but you have to do mods to it then i suggest you get your money back because thats false advertisement.

Also, i recommend getting 4300k. When i first bought my gx i was unsure what color i wanted and i wanted to make sure that i had that crisp blue color. I went with 6000k and it was ok and i wanted more. i then switched to 4300k and it satisfied me. The color and brightness was there.
Old 11-29-08, 08:01 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Thanks guys for you replies. After much reading this forum,I think I am going to go with Steve at xenondepot and the 4300 kit.

What about fog lights.I do not want to go HID on the fogs,but,I want to change the bulbs.Any suggestions on what bulbs and where to buy them.I do want them more of a white color rather than a yellow.
Old 11-29-08, 11:10 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a big difference between Xtreme Xenon $199.99 and Xtreme Philips $264.99?

Any experience with either one? Any advice is highly appreciated.

After installation, are light projection adjustments necessary?

Last edited by malmon; 11-30-08 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-30-08, 07:32 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

"Is there a big difference between Xtreme Xenon $199.99 and Xtreme Philips $264.99?"

If you go with xenon depot,you can get 10% off that $199.99 price.
Old 11-30-08, 12:42 PM
malmon
Intermediate

That's great, that should cover shipping costs. Are you going with xenon or philips? are the philips worth the extra $65?
Old 11-30-08, 04:57 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I am pretty sue I am going with xenon. I cannot answer whether 65 bucks is worth it as I am very new to this. I am sure someone with more experience will chime in. Are you doing the mods yourself?
Old 12-01-08, 06:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Philips bulbs are well worth the extra $65.
Old 12-01-08, 10:28 PM
malmon
Intermediate

The G Man: thanks for the info.

WrongLane: Yes, I plan to install it myself but I'll wait til I get my 5k miles complimentary first oil change. I don't want to give Lexus an excuse to void my warranty. Found this thread with step-by-step instructions https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=xenon+depot
Old 12-02-08, 05:42 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by malmon
The G Man: thanks for the info.

WrongLane: Yes, I plan to install it myself but I'll wait til I get my 5k miles complimentary first oil change. I don't want to give Lexus an excuse to void my warranty. Found this thread with step-by-step instructions https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=xenon+depot
That's a good thread w/ install instructions. Know the XD kits have been improved a bit since then and each side runs independently now - a redundant system but like OEM. Things are very similar (with differences noted):

- 2 relays (one per side vs only 1 shown before)
- 2 OEM headlight plugs (one per side vs 1 before)
- 2 fused +12V leads from battery (one per side vs 1 before)
- 2 ballasts - same as before
- 2 ignitors - separated out from ballasts (not shown before)

Install still takes 1.5-2 hours if taking your time. When I installed mine, I would have liked another 12" or so on the +12V lead (especially on passenger side). It gets a little snug mounting the ballast, relay and ignitor by the battery but they do fit nicely - plan it out before you drill any holes or mount anything.

I've never had any issues w/ my dealer on my kit even w/ our annual rigid state inspections.

Enjoy the kit and know Steve from XD is great to deal with.

Old 12-02-08, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The relay kit is harder to install, but if you know your car electronics, it should be no problem. I installed the kit with no relays. The GX has heavy duty wires, connectors and relays already, therefore, it doesnt need to draw isolated power from the battery.
Old 12-02-08, 08:12 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
The relay kit is harder to install, but if you know your car electronics, it should be no problem. I installed the kit with no relays. The GX has heavy duty wires, connectors and relays already, therefore, it doesnt need to draw isolated power from the battery.
G Man -
Come on you're embellishing. Yes I understand you liked whatever kit you had better - it's called the endowment effect.

The relay kit is not "harder to install" unless you're put off by having to run 2 leads (which are clearly marked) to the + terminal on your battery. Nor do you have to know your cars electronics. The plugs are keyed (as I'm sure yours was) and the wires run to the + term on battery are clearly marked (and fused).

Personally, I don't recall being overly impressed w/ the guage on the GX's OEM low beam wires. Suppose you're right, maybe it does have "heavy duty" wiring. Regardless, it's hardly worth the risk installing a lighting kit not designed for it w/o a separate relay (and power source). I'd rather error on the side of caution for 10min extra during install as opposed to possibly having to replace melted wires or blowing an in line fuse down the road...

Wronglane and malmon I'm sure will be able to install the kits w/out any issues what so ever. The kits are plug n play and pretty much fail safe.
Old 12-02-08, 11:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

BurgBoxstr, I didnt mean to embellish on your post. If you notice the posted time, when I started typing my post, I did not see your's posted yet.
Anyway, The wires itself can handle a lot more than 10 amps, usually its the connectors or the relays that are the 1st to melt. The GX actually use very high quality connectors. The relay will be fine if you pick a ballast that does not peak over 10 Amps during the start up period. Most people run into problems with componets melting beacuse they install cheap plug and play kits that draws more than 10 amps for a few milli-seconds during start up, you do that over and over again, you will run into problem. Also, the GX is not like a car, it's electrical components are more heavy duty un-like the componets on a Camry.
Old 12-02-08, 12:34 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

BurgBoxstr, I didnt mean to embellish on your post. If you notice the posted time, when I started typing my post, I did not see your's posted yet.
Fair enough and sorry to jump on you then . You know how it can be on forums.....the old "how many forum members does it take to screw in a light bulb?" question comes to mind

Alrighty then, let's all go back to discussing the proper way to put a deposit down on a car
Old 12-02-08, 12:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

BurgBoxstr, you are right. Actually this forum is not that bad. Some of the other forum I am on, no matter what I say, there is always a few guys that post what I am doing wrong and how to do it better. As long as useful information is being pass on, its all good.
Old 12-02-08, 01:11 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Anyway, The wires itself can handle a lot more than 10 amps, usually its the connectors or the relays that are the 1st to melt. The GX actually use very high quality connectors. The relay will be fine if you pick a ballast that does not peak over 10 Amps during the start up period. Most people run into problems with componets melting beacuse they install cheap plug and play kits that draws more than 10 amps for a few milli-seconds during start up, you do that over and over again, you will run into problem. Also, the GX is not like a car, it's electrical components are more heavy duty un-like the componets on a Camry.
Good info, I saw some HID kits on ebay selling for around $80, are these the ones that can possibly melt the wirings?

Quick Reply: Which HID Kit