GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Which HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 01:18 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The "Philips" HID kit that you guys are referring to uses Chinese bulbs and ballasts that have been manufactured in a "Philips Approved" factory. The bulbs and ballasts are not made in Germany nor are they original Philips.

Our Xtreme kit that uses Philips bulbs uses German made Philips bulbs that are ORIGINAL PHILIPS. These are not bulbs that are made in "Philips Authorized" factories in China.

Don't forget that by typing in "CL" as the coupon code you save an extra $25...

Steve
Old 12-08-08, 02:08 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm gonna be ordering from XD soon and I need to make a decision between the 5000k or the Phillips 4300. From what you guys have seen, can you make any recommendations?
Old 12-08-08, 02:20 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

If it was my car I would go with the 4300k kit (Xtreme or Philips). Your vehicle has OEM projector headlamps so you will get a bluish tinge depending on the angle even with the 4300k HID Kit.

Steve
Old 12-08-08, 06:58 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
The "Philips" HID kit that you guys are referring to uses Chinese bulbs and ballasts that have been manufactured in a "Philips Approved" factory. The bulbs and ballasts are not made in Germany nor are they original Philips.

Our Xtreme kit that uses Philips bulbs uses German made Philips bulbs that are ORIGINAL PHILIPS. These are not bulbs that are made in "Philips Authorized" factories in China.

Don't forget that by typing in "CL" as the coupon code you save an extra $25...

Steve
So what you're saying is those kits manufactured in "Philips approved" factories can freely use the Philips brand name, and yet your company uses rebased original Philips bulb can not?

I am not trying to get into a debate, just curious.
Old 12-08-08, 07:06 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Philips do not make HID kits, all the so call Philips HID kits out there are made by after market suppliers.
Hey G man, I was under the impression if you buy a kit with the Philips brand, then it is for all intents and purposes a Philips. If it passed Philip's standards, and they approve the use of its name, then it is a Philips, right?
Old 12-08-08, 07:27 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi Malmon,

Philips does not make an aftermarket HID kit. If someone wants to put the "Philips" logo on their kits that is a risk that they are willing to take. The Philips bulbs that we use in our Xtreme kit that uses Philips bulbs are genuine German made Philips bulbs. The bulbs and ballasts used in the "philips" kit that you see advertised are not made by Philips and are not made in Germany. Even when we used to carry kits that used genuine Philips ballasts and genuine Philips bulbs we could not call it a "Philips" kit for legal purposes.

Steve
Old 12-09-08, 06:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by malmon
Hey G man, I was under the impression if you buy a kit with the Philips brand, then it is for all intents and purposes a Philips. If it passed Philip's standards, and they approve the use of its name, then it is a Philips, right?
When you buy a Philips bulb, expect to pay more, if its too cheap, they are fakes. Like Steve said, Philips do not make rebased HID bulbs. Try to find a bulb that was original made in Germany and is rebased by a aftermaket manufacturer, thats your best bet.
Old 12-09-08, 07:03 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The G Man
When you buy a Philips bulb, expect to pay more, if its too cheap, they are fakes. Like Steve said, Philips do not make rebased HID bulbs. Try to find a bulb that was original made in Germany and is rebased by a aftermaket manufacturer, thats your best bet.
Actually, this one is not too cheap at all, I saw some HID kits selling for $60 on ebay and this one costs $290. According to Steve, these are manufactured in 'Philips Approved" factories, so presumably these kits pass their standards. But like you, I find it hard to believe these are real.
Old 12-09-08, 07:09 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi Malmon,

Philips does not make an aftermarket HID kit. If someone wants to put the "Philips" logo on their kits that is a risk that they are willing to take. The Philips bulbs that we use in our Xtreme kit that uses Philips bulbs are genuine German made Philips bulbs. The bulbs and ballasts used in the "philips" kit that you see advertised are not made by Philips and are not made in Germany. Even when we used to carry kits that used genuine Philips ballasts and genuine Philips bulbs we could not call it a "Philips" kit for legal purposes.

Steve
Hey Steve,
I ordered two sets of 4300k Xtreme on 12/3/08, I went to your site and look under my account to see where we're at and it states that it has shipped, but the tracking link doesn't work.
Old 12-09-08, 08:28 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi Malmon,

Just because people charge money for it does not mean that it's real either. There are vendors out there that claim that they provide genuine Philips bulbs with their kits and charge a premium however the bulbs are not real at all. If you like, send me a link to the kit you are thinking about and I will tell you whether they are real or not. On another note, just because someone says that they are approved by Philips does not mean that they really are approved... You really need to be careful...

Please send me a PM with your order number and I will look into this right away for you.

Steve
Old 12-09-08, 09:36 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vxphan
What's about this kits. It's look good

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=265759

Thanks
VP
Hey Steve, I followed the link posted by another CL member and it led me to this:
http://www.mod-express.com/ProductDe...ode=PHILIPSKIT

It looks impressive (in pictures). Maybe we should contact Philips directly and ask them if they make HID kits and lead them to this site.

By the way, I PM'd my order number.
Old 12-09-08, 10:54 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

I am familiar with this kit. I actually have a sample of in front of me. This kit is not made by Philips and I guarantee you that if you contacted Philips they will tell you that they do not make HID conversion kits and that the components used in this kit are not Philips.

Steve
Old 12-09-08, 01:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

malmon, that doesnt look like a philips ballast to me.
Old 12-09-08, 01:14 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

If you want to be 100% certain ask them to send you a picture of the inside of the ballast. No where on the circuitry will you see "Philips" or "Hella." I know this for sure as I have one open right in front of me =)

Steve
Old 12-09-08, 02:20 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed - the mod express ballast is NOT the real deal. how do i know - because i've had people contacting me left and right to offer that same exact product which is a generic ballast sold with a nice philips sticker.

here are some images of the same ballast being sold as a bosch product...

It's the same stuff but mod-express likes to lie to customers. There - I said it. lol.

look at the blue and white wire coming from the ballast in both the bosch pics and the mod-express philips kit... um. yeah - same stuff...

this is the biggest rip off ever...

Quick Reply: Which HID Kit