GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Which HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 06:06 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like 4300K is in my future
Old 12-19-08, 07:43 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Wronglane, how bout that weather? You got that kit installed yet? Details, details...
Old 12-20-08, 06:14 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The weather has been horrible.We received 7 inches yesterday and are expecting 2-4 tonight. I have not installed the kit yet because of this ,but,I will let you know how it goes when I do.I was looking at the kit yesterday and I have a question about the wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery.I want to look at the battery in my GX before I ask it though and maybe someone who has done the kit or Steve will chime in when I post it.

I noticed most people are mounting the kit with wire ties. If its not to much of a pain,I may mount it in a more permanent way.It depends on how much room I have to work with though.
Old 12-21-08, 05:04 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you talking about the wires or ballasts and relays. For wires, zip ties are plenty as most car wiring harnesses use zip ties or a custom plastic equivalent. It's secure and better than tape and can be easily removed/replaced to work on. For the ballasts and relays, I mounted using self tapping sheet metal screws. Before you hard mount the ballasts or relays on passenger side, make sure your +12V lead will be long enough to reach battery. Mine was a little short from the first place I wanted to mount everything but adjusted fine.
Old 12-21-08, 08:37 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

I am fine with using zipties for wires.Most have mounted the ballast with wire ties alone.While they will probably never fall off,i want them more secure so I will do what u did.I will use selftapping screws and will probably also use the doublesided tape underneath kind of an anti-vibration type of thing.

I was going to follow tonys installation as a guide.(see his link below).In the link,look at post#11. There is a red wire going from the battery to a plastic type of connector?My question is,is that a connector that all GX's have?(I dont know because i have not looked yet).

I cant really tell from the pic,but,the wire on the left looks like the ends are freyed and just stuffef in there.If that plastic connector is not stock,I was thinking that i could attach the positive cable in the HID kit to a terminal on the selonoid,but,I do know if our GX has a selonoid nearby on the fenderwell.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...diy-guide.html

Last edited by Wronglane; 12-21-08 at 05:15 PM. Reason: I forgot thje link
Old 12-21-08, 02:44 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I will use selftapping screws and will probably also use the doublesided tape underneath kind of an anti-vibration type of thing.
Yep - exactly what I did as well. Temporarily secured it w/ the dbl sided tape then secured w/ self-tapping sheet metal screws.

There is a red wire going from the battery to a plastic type of connector?My question is,is that a connector that all GX's have?(I dont know because i have not looked yet).
I think what you are refering to is the +12V lead from the battery for the lights in the shielded black tubing leading into the in-line fuse for the XD kit (resting on the wire loom).

I cant really tell from the pic,but,the wire on the left looks like the ends are freyed and just stuffef in there.If that plastic connector is not stock,I was thinking that i could attach the positive cable in the HID kit to a terminal on the selonoid,but,I do know if our GX has a selonoid nearby on the fenderwell.
Those are the female connectors you are seeing in the in-line fuse connector. They are not frayed and you definitely want to keep the in-line fuses (you will have two - Tony had the old version which only had one). I too wanted to hook everything up to a solenoid but couldn't find one close by to do so. Instead of hooking the +12V leads directly to the terminal post clamp screw, I used the clamp bolt just behind the post clamp - you'll know what I mean when you get there. I'm kind of a neat freak and wanted the cables routed around the battery or at least in a way that if/when you disconnect the battery you don't have to monkey around w/ making sure each accessory gets reconnected.

One more tip - you might want to hit the relay male terminals and plug w/ some dielectric grease to prevent any corrosion. You can pick up a little foil pack near the counter at most auto parts stores for less than $1. One will be enough to do both sides

Old 12-21-08, 05:30 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Hey BurgBoxstr,thank you for taking the time to go over my last post like that. You understood and addressed all of my concerns. Looks like we think alike. I have plenty of dielectric grease,thanks for the tip. All I need is some decent weather,and I will get it done.I was going to do it in Toronto over the holidays,but I will wait.If something happens where I am unable to get my windows back up,the wife will kill me.It will be a loooonnnnnnggggg and very cold drive back home.

By the way,where in PA are you? Near the Poconos? Just wondering how much snow you got.
Old 12-21-08, 06:42 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Wronglane which kit dod you go with? Im going to go with H11 4300k Xtreme Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kit--its the more expensive kit with the Better german bulbs $264
Old 12-21-08, 07:12 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I have the kit below.

XT-4k-H11 H11 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit $499.99 $199.99
Old 12-22-08, 05:55 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

By the way,where in PA are you? Near the Poconos? Just wondering how much snow you got.
Nope opposite corner. Didn't get any snow what so ever. A little bit of ice Sat night and that's it. All of 6 deg this AM but still no white stuff.
Old 12-22-08, 06:29 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The weather has been horrible.We received 7 inches yesterday and are expecting 2-4 tonight. I have not installed the kit yet because of this ,but,I will let you know how it goes when I do.I was looking at the kit yesterday and I have a question about the wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery.I want to look at the battery in my GX before I ask it though and maybe someone who has done the kit or Steve will chime in when I post it.

I noticed most people are mounting the kit with wire ties. If its not to much of a pain,I may mount it in a more permanent way.It depends on how much room I have to work with though.

Not to get off topic, but take that GX out in the snow my man and post some pics! LEAD THE CHARGE
Old 12-22-08, 12:14 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

4300k is the way to go in my opinion on your vehicle.

Steve
Old 12-22-08, 03:44 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Steve--

whats the usual shipping time from your place to Anchorage, Alaska? 2-3- days
Old 12-22-08, 04:47 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

So with theses HID kits, the cut off is really good and not glaring light everywhere as to be blinding oncoming traffic? Just want to make sure.
Old 12-22-08, 10:49 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Just ordered my HID kit --cannot wait to get them and light up the night!

Quick Reply: Which HID Kit