GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tires & Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 10:01 AM
Huntington
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires & Rims

Hi Everyone,
I am currently planning on purchasing new tires for my 05 GX. Unfortunately, I have learned that there are not many sizes offered that are compatible with 22" rims on a GX. So... I thought I would open this topic up for discussion.
I currently have Toyo Proxes 265/45/R22 on the vehicle. However, I feel that they look too small in the wheelwell. After having my alignment recently done at Newport Lexus, this was confirmed; the Service Advisor told me I would benefit from bigger tires.
Anyone out there have input on this topic? I am most curious to see what size is optimal, yet does not rub. Currently, I am looking at the Nitto NT 420S size 285/45/R22 ( http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent420s ). I'm hoping that won't rub. Any thought/comments/PIX would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-07, 02:18 PM
ubond007
Rookie

Originally Posted by Huntington
Hi Everyone,
I am currently planning on purchasing new tires for my 05 GX. Unfortunately, I have learned that there are not many sizes offered that are compatible with 22" rims on a GX. So... I thought I would open this topic up for discussion.
I currently have Toyo Proxes 265/45/R22 on the vehicle. However, I feel that they look too small in the wheelwell. After having my alignment recently done at Newport Lexus, this was confirmed; the Service Advisor told me I would benefit from bigger tires.
Anyone out there have input on this topic? I am most curious to see what size is optimal, yet does not rub. Currently, I am looking at the Nitto NT 420S size 285/45/R22 ( http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent420s ). I'm hoping that won't rub. Any thought/comments/PIX would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I put Pirelli Scorpion 285/45/22 with a little rubbing from the lower front portion of the inner fender well. I just took the screw out and pushed the piece in and secured with screw.
Old 12-18-07, 09:50 PM
GXlexus470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

although i couldn't comment on 22s as i have 20s (265/50/20)... I can tell you this much, the Nitto 420S tires are awesome... i have them 20s and the ride and performance are surprisingly great. i live in IL and the past snow storm was handled by these tires w/ease... maybe also because the GX is AWD... but these tires... you can't go wrong. at first I choose them for looks... now I got the best of both worlds.
at 20s, i also have a slight rub on the front inner wheel wells... but not much to be a concern.
Old 12-19-07, 10:50 AM
Huntington
Rookie

Originally Posted by GXlexus470
although i couldn't comment on 22s as i have 20s (265/50/20)... I can tell you this much, the Nitto 420S tires are awesome... i have them 20s and the ride and performance are surprisingly great. i live in IL and the past snow storm was handled by these tires w/ease... maybe also because the GX is AWD... but these tires... you can't go wrong. at first I choose them for looks... now I got the best of both worlds.
at 20s, i also have a slight rub on the front inner wheel wells... but not much to be a concern.
THANKS GXLEXUS470! It's great to hear that the 420S is a good tire. I was a bit concerned, as they were so good looking I thought there must be sacrifice in performance! I'm really looking forward to replacing my Toyo's - they just look banal to me. Hey, I noticed that you have "True Flow" on your Signature. I'm assuming that's your exhaust? Is it a full Cat-Back System or just the muffler? I'm about ready to upgrade my exhaust, but I don't think I'm going to do the full Cat-Back. Thoughts?

007 - Thank you as well! I now know that I can buy the right tire size and modify only slightly to prevent rubbing. These forums are awesome!
Old 12-19-07, 10:53 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running 305 40 22 Hankook Ventus ST RH06 with very little rubbing on the same area of the wheel well that everyone else is talking about. Not even noticeable. A 285 45 is a half inch taller in total diameter and one inch narrower. From the hub you are looking at a 1/4 inch closer to all areas that may rub, but with it being an inch narrower in the tread you may not have a problem.

It would defiantley fill the wheel well better and I would be very intersed in seeing it on the car. Find a good tire shop that will test fit it for you and let me know what you come up with. If you are in Huntington and don't mind driving down to Newport, I can give you the name of a good shop that will work with you.

As far as the Hankooks go I absoluty love them...great dry traction and I was just out in the rain and still cannot believe how well these do on the wet roads. I can't comment on snow b/c I have snows on another set of wheels.

Good Luck and post pics!!!

Chad
Old 12-19-07, 02:41 PM
Huntington
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmarshack
I am running 305 40 22 Hankook Ventus ST RH06 with very little rubbing on the same area of the wheel well that everyone else is talking about. Not even noticeable. A 285 45 is a half inch taller in total diameter and one inch narrower. From the hub you are looking at a 1/4 inch closer to all areas that may rub, but with it being an inch narrower in the tread you may not have a problem.

It would defiantley fill the wheel well better and I would be very intersed in seeing it on the car. Find a good tire shop that will test fit it for you and let me know what you come up with. If you are in Huntington and don't mind driving down to Newport, I can give you the name of a good shop that will work with you.

As far as the Hankooks go I absoluty love them...great dry traction and I was just out in the rain and still cannot believe how well these do on the wet roads. I can't comment on snow b/c I have snows on another set of wheels.

Good Luck and post pics!!!

Chad
Hmm... So at this point it really seems that the decision lies between the 305/40/22's or the 285/45/22's. I'm guessing that the 285's will give a better ride, as there will be more tire (height as opposed to width).
I actually am in Newport. My name is Huntington (yes... I'm serious). I'm very open to suggestions for Tire Shops. Additionally, who did your exhaust work? I'm surprised I haven't seen you around OC yet. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for your input!