GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Denim rubbing off onto leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 01:47 PM
chinhster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denim rubbing off onto leather seats

Just bought an '08 GX 3 weeks ago for my wife. I drive an '06 ML500 and there are a few advantages the GX has over my ML (bluetooth built-in, touch screen nav, adjustable 2nd row seats, feels huge) and a few things that surprise/annoy me about the GX (no HID headlights, no iPod integration, surprisingly ugly key fob that requires a separate valet key, worse gas mileage than my ML, open fuel door from inside vehicle, what's a tape player doing in here... it's 2007, not 1997). But overall, we're pretty happy with the GX.

However, my wife just pointed out to me that the edge of the driver's seat closest to the door is turning bluish (noticeable only if you look for it). We've guessed it's coming from her jeans as she's climbing in and out of her car (I'm 5'8 and the GX is just high enough where it's a PITA for me to get in and out and my wife is barely 5'0). She wears the pricey jeans (7, Rock & Republic, True Religion, etc.) so I'm kind of surprised they rub off like that. Is there anything we can apply to the seats that can prevent/minimize this from happening?

I told my wife to get a dark interior but she wouldn't listen to me.
Old 12-26-07, 06:47 PM
oklndman
Driver School Candidate

I would be very very surprised if it is in fact the denim. Does she have a big purse or laptop bag? I've had to clean up numerous marks due to the wife's purse and bag, but not once have I had to remove blue from denim, and she wears the same type of jeans as you described.

I would suggest using some Meguiar's Leather Wipes first to clean the stain, if those do not get it off use a clay bar, be sure to cover the area around the seat so you don't get the lube spray all over your car. If that doesn't work, then as a LAST resort I would test out a small area that is out of site with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. It SHOULD be gentle enough not to harm the leather, but I would definitely test it, I've had success using it on Nissan and BMW leather but I haven't tried it on a Lexus.

Then I would condition the seat with your favorite product, and then wipe everything down again with a damp towel because the conditioner will actually rub off on the 200 dollar jeans and leave weird spot stains all over them. I had to learn that the hard way.
Old 12-26-07, 09:04 PM
chinhster
Driver School Candidate

No laptop bag and her purses are a different color.

I've driven her car the past few weekends we've been out of town so perhaps it's coming from my jeans. I'm just tall enough to not need the running boards but short enough to rub the edge of the seats when I climb in. However, the wife has been buying my clothes lately so I pretty much wear the same brands of jeans she does. I might've been wearing a brand new pair that did it but you'd think for the ridiculous amount the jeans cost that the color wouldn't rub off like that. I'll try your cleaning suggestions and we'll see if the problem reoccurs. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-26-07, 09:28 PM
AustinGX
Driver School Candidate

Default It's the jeans!

I had a couple pairs of Banana Republic jeans.
(these jeans shrink after about a year, lol.)

We trade those jeans for some nice $150.00
jeans (that won't shrink and happen to be a size larger).

I wash them several times but begin to notice the blue stains on seat edge.

This may be incorrect, but I dilute a small amount of simple green, I rub the stained area wipe clean then apply the Lexus seat conditioner.
I actually used the diluted simple green on several areas and it works great, no issues.

Stains do return, not sure of a solution.
Old 12-26-07, 09:33 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Id recommend some seat covers

I'm buying some for my RX soon from the dealer..
Old 12-27-07, 05:20 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have noticed that certain items bleed onto the leather. For example my leather belt has left a permanent stripe across the lower back of the drivers seat. I have tried to get it off with leather cleaner (Lexol and Zaino) but nothing gets it off, just have to live with it. I am not sure why this happens but the dealer says Lexus leather is coated, maybe that has something to do with it...
Old 12-27-07, 07:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I must be getting old, I never heard of 7, Rock & Republic, True Religion jeans Anyways, I would use some leather cleaner and conditioner for now. My dealer put on a poducts that can make leather cleaner up easier, ask around maybe a detail shop can it.
Old 12-27-07, 08:51 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chinhster
She wears the pricey jeans (7, Rock & Republic, True Religion, etc.) so I'm kind of surprised they rub off like that.
Funny you mentioned it. I just got another pair of 7 jeans and I was suprised that on the tag there was a warning about the color rubbing off on furnature. Pretty rediculous when you see what these things cost. I would reccommend that she wash them a few times before sliding in and out of the GX.

BTW Congrats on the GX!
Old 12-27-07, 09:56 AM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I am a big Denim Junkie. With that being said, It is the Raw Indigo in the Jeans that most manufactures are using now a days. I keep a towel in my car and on the days that I wear certain jeans in my collection, I ALWAYS sit on the towel. It's a must!!!

Some Seven/Rock Republic are washed a few times, but other styles are kept raw so you can create your own patterns by wearing them and have them wrinkle (it's called honeycombing) in the right areas.

I can go on and on, but take this from me... Keep a towel in the car and just sit on it!
Old 12-27-07, 07:59 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Just use the Meguiars Leather Cleaner/Conditioner and it will come right off and make the seat look like new
Old 12-27-07, 08:25 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by directfml
OK I am a big Denim Junkie. With that being said, It is the Raw Indigo in the Jeans that most manufactures are using now a days. I keep a towel in my car and on the days that I wear certain jeans in my collection, I ALWAYS sit on the towel. It's a must!!!

Some Seven/Rock Republic are washed a few times, but other styles are kept raw so you can create your own patterns by wearing them and have them wrinkle (it's called honeycombing) in the right areas.

I can go on and on, but take this from me... Keep a towel in the car and just sit on it!
BINGO!
Old 12-28-07, 08:30 AM
chinhster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
I must be getting old, I never heard of 7, Rock & Republic, True Religion jeans
I wish my wife hadn't either.
Old 12-28-07, 11:35 AM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chinhster
I wish my wife hadn't either.
Classic!
Old 12-31-07, 04:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

I have the same thing happening on my 08 GX. It is very subtle but if you look close you can see the difference in color. I am noticing it mainly on the bottom left side of the driver's seat. I will just use some of my leather cleaner (Zaino) that I have used in previous vehicles which has worked great. I am not too worried about it since leather cleaner takes stuff like this off pretty easily.
Old 12-31-07, 07:15 PM
oklndman
Driver School Candidate

Ok so it sounds like it is the denim, odd because my wife hasn't complained about any transfers yet. Maybe it's the water down here and how it washes out the Indigo. I've often wondered why my dark jeans are a bit lighter after a few months.

The leather cleaner should take care of it though. Let us know!

Quick Reply: Denim rubbing off onto leather seats