GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Going to Tahoe, need advice on tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 08:12 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Tahoe, need advice on tires

I apologize if this is a silly question, but i dont know much...

I tried doing a search also... but anyways.

I am getting ready to go up north to Tahoe (Snow) later this month for a weekend. I believe the GX is AWD. Do I need to purchase snow chains for it? Or will it handle OK on the stock wheels in the snow? I've never owned an AWD or 4WD until now.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-08-08, 08:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How old are your tires? What brand of tires do you have? If they are fairly new, you should be fine.
Old 01-08-08, 08:48 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Do I need to purchase snow chains for it?
I vote for snow chains. You never know what you might encounter
Old 01-08-08, 09:02 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on the route you are taking and where all you plan to go..... some passes into/out of tahoe require chains - period.
Old 01-08-08, 02:53 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 3000 miles on my Bridestone Blizzak's dedicated snow tires and they are amazing. We are over the pass almost every weekend so they have seen much snow, ice, slush and rain. I never felt like I needed chains. Paid about $550 at America's tire.
Old 01-08-08, 03:55 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
depends on the route you are taking and where all you plan to go..... some passes into/out of tahoe require chains - period.
Are chains needed even with good tires and AWD???
Old 01-08-08, 04:07 PM
Mwarfiel
Driver School Candidate

Default Hwy 80 does not require chains on 4x4 with M/S rated tires

SirSkrip
Does your GX have a second smaller gear shift in the middle of the console? Should list High Nuetral and Low - if yes you have a 4x4 - if no they you have 2 wheel drive only.
Next check your tires if they have M+S near the tire size then you have Mud & Snow rated tires.

If 4x4 and M&S tires, you will not need chains to go past the chain control. That being said, you have to drive very carefully (slow). If they close Hwy 80 to 4x4 without chains, it is closed to all vehicles.

I do carry 1 set of chains for severe conditions just in case. Cable Z chains (better for anti-lock break function) which would be placed on the front wheels. (4x4) should put chains on the front due to weight of engine, not on the back.
Hope that helps! Weather does not call for bad snow this weekend anyway, you will be just fine! Caltrans road update which will indicate chains are not needed with 4x4 w/ M&S rated tires.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi
Safe Travels

Last edited by Mwarfiel; 01-08-08 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added Caltrans website
Old 01-09-08, 08:11 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

Yes, I do have the other shift, but have no clue how to use it. I tried it once and i think I grinded the crap out of it. So I put it back in the 'N' position.

I have the standard Michelin tires that I guess most GX470's come with, or came with since mine is older.

I guess it is a good idea to buy a set anyways and take it along. Any brands out there that are recommended? Im at work right now so i cant get out to the car. But if I remember correctly, I think my tires are 265/65 17 or something like that. I was looking at some ZT chains (?) that someone was selling for $50 and my tire info was not on the list the other day.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-08, 10:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

As far as I know all GX are 4WD. For snow tires, Bridestone Blizzak and Michelin X-ice are couple of the good ones out there. If you want more traction, you can always lock your center differential. If that doesnt work, stop the truck, shift out of drive into netual. Shift from 4 high to 4 Low and then back into drive.
Old 01-09-08, 11:39 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

for deep snow, slick roads, lock the center diff.
when you shift the transfer case, there will be a little grinding and it may be a little stiff if you havne' t used it. make sure the trans is in neutral first.
make sure your tires are still at good tread depth. the stock michelins are good in snow, but only if they havegood tread still.
Old 01-09-08, 12:16 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Just remember when locking your diffs you turn off your ABS. So in deep snow if your are need more traction lock them but ice you may want to keep your ABS system on.
Old 01-09-08, 02:07 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came back from big bear this weekend. We received about 9 inches of snow Sunday and close to a foot my Sunday night. I was in our Lx470 and the car handled flawlessly, I went out and bought 2 sets of z chains from pep boys but we never had to use them. The sheriff stopped us once and just asked if we had them on board. As long as you are patient and careful nothing will happen, it’s those ignorant dumb witted drivers who still think they should be able to proceed at 40 mph on a snowy road. On Sunday morning I was driving around in about 6 inches of snow and the car never even lost traction, well at one point I purposefully floored it to see what would happen and the car spun the tires a little . If you are going to stay on the main roads I would recommend you not touch anything on the car, just put her in drive and go. You will need all the help you can get from the trac and vsc devices on your rig. If you were to go off roading or let say fall into a ditch were you could not get out of, then you would try shifting into low 4wd or locking your center diff.

Oh and once I got back I went to pep boys and returned the chains
Old 01-10-08, 06:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I thought locking the center diff. only disable the stablility control, not the ABS.
Old 01-10-08, 08:26 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i think you're right. abs only turns off when hdc is enabled.
Old 01-10-08, 09:04 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 19psi
i think you're right. abs only turns off when hdc is enabled.
I could be getting my 96LC mixed up with the GX, I will try it tonight.

Quick Reply: Going to Tahoe, need advice on tires