GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thinking about getting rid of my GX470 for a Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 02:43 PM
husk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting rid of my GX470 for a Touareg

I need some help deciding what to do, I have owned my GX470 since 2004 and I have put around 60k miles on it in the past 3+ years. The truck has been rock solid, with just a couple minor annoyances (i.e. axle clunk, and navigation freezing up). I take the truck off roading a couple times a month and it has been great, it goes up steep grades without flinching or even being put in 4wd mode. Right now, I am starting to get annoyed by not having some of the conveniences I have in my other cars (mainly bluetooth especially with the new laws which require a hands free device in the car). I am thinking about getting another GX470 or a Touareg V10 TDI. My main reason for leaning towards the Touareg is the diesel option which will allow for better fuel mileage. I get about 14-16 mpg with the GX and that is the only thing I truly dislike about the truck. A couple questions that I have:

1. Is a major re-design on the horizon for the GX470 and will there be a hybrid version?
2. Is the Touareg as capable as the GX470 for light wheeling? (I know this is not the VW board but hopefully someone out there has owned both.)
3. Any new must have options (post 2004) on the newer GX's? I know for sure I am getting the bluetooth if I end up going with the GX.

Any pros/cons between the two would be great. Thanks
Old 01-14-08, 03:33 PM
Chris98vob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer all of your questions, but I did consider the Touareg/Cayenne before getting my 07 GX and ruled them out due to reliability issues. Everything I could find to read said they were awful. The Porshe is better than the Touareg but I couldn't justify the price.

The new GX does have bluetooth (I use it) and aux input for an IPod but gas mileage still stinks compared to other possible options.

Chris
Old 01-14-08, 04:25 PM
LENELSA
Driver School Candidate

My stepdaughter has a Toureg and absolutely loves it.
Its a very firm, sturdy, solid ride.
I was very impressed.
I also think its better looking than the Cayenne.
Old 01-14-08, 04:27 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the pepper before I bought my GX. There GPS is a joke and I did not like the feel of the rig. I would love to have a V6 TDI in my GX but that is not going to happen. Offroad the GX is more capable than the pepper or t-reg but for light offroad they will all be fine. Is the t-reg v10 about 15k more than the GX? That could take like 20 years to make up the gas price difference.

If you want to be green? Go look at the New highlander hybrid.

Or wait until 09 for the new RX hybrid.
Old 01-14-08, 04:51 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a true body on frame SUV like the GX470 is, it really doesn't get that bad of fuel mileage. Most other true body on frame pickup trucks and some SUV's guzzle at least another 2-5 mpg more fuel than the GX470. But sure, it would be nice if the GX470 got another 2-3 mpg.
Old 01-14-08, 05:54 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

easy, order a toyota prado diesel, and import it......
Old 01-14-08, 06:02 PM
husk
Driver School Candidate

Highlander and RX are not very good off-road. I am very happy with my GX I just wish it got better gas mileage and had some of the newer electronic goodies. When I first got the GX it seemed like it had decent power, now it seems as if its slightly underpowered. I would love to go with another GX470, but it seems as if they have not done many updates for the past 5 model years, which is kind of weird. I am curious to see what the next gen GX has as it seems to be the neglected model (in terms of updates) of the Lexus line. The V10 TDI seems to have ridiculous resale value, which is odd since it has so many problems. Maybe I should wait a bit till the new GX comes out and then decide?
Old 01-14-08, 06:37 PM
hilljack
Driver School Candidate

I owned a 2004 Touareg for two years. I got rid of it because it was highly computerized and something was always going wrong. Also the four wheel drive system had a bad shudder and ruined the tires after 15,000 miles. When my small town dealer closed, easy service was not available so I went with the great Lexus personal service and loaner. The VW service and customer relations are terrible.
The Touareg had the German ride and handling. The Lexus has better luxury and the second seat is much better in the Lexus. They are about equal off road. My 2007 Lexus is a better towing vehicle and has more space inside.
I liked the Touareg a lot but no one else who rode in it liked being a passenger. The Lexus is great for up to 4 adults or more children.
If you choose the Touareg be prepared for reliability issues and a step down from Lexus in service. "VW vortex" is the best source for a Touareg forum
Old 01-15-08, 03:43 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reliability and safety are key issues for me. Based on those priorities, I'd go with the GX over the Touareg. I bought our GX470 new in 2004 for my wife. Since then, she/we have put 30K on the odometer and have experienced only one (sunroof mechanism) problem with the vehicle. The ride is still rock-solid (tight, no rattles, squeaks, etc.) and, more importantly, I still like the way it looks.
Old 01-15-08, 04:54 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick with the GX, brother-in-law had a Touareg - nothing but issues and the dealer treated him very badly. Spend 55K on a new car and they treat you like you spent 15K. Very poor service and reliability.

Last edited by CdeFabio; 01-15-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 09:40 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

For what it's worth take a look at the Edmunds 2004 Ultra Luxury Midsize SUVs Comparison Test:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...4/article.html )

The Diesel Toureg came in last place.
The GX (even with the older 235 hp non-VVTI engine) came in first place

In the interests of full disclosure though, the Toureg (with V8, not Diesel) did beat the GX in Car & Driver's comparo from 2003:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...w-touareg.html

The Toureg, when it's not in the shop, does very well off-road cuz of it's ground clearance and locking rear diffy. However, as others have said, you'll be spending lots of time at the dealer getting stuff fixed. Have you ever been to a VW dealer? They're usually very lame (at least the two in my area), whereas the Lexus dealership has fancy flat screens, sandwich shop, RX loaners, etc, to pamper you while you wait for service.
Old 01-15-08, 10:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, the touregs come with those ridiculous 20" or 19" wheels, which use a crappy tire for wheeling. i think if you got the base model it might have 16 or 17" wheels, but you'll still have a hard time finding a durable tire that provides enough traction for off roading that will fit the car.
Old 01-15-08, 10:50 AM
DJW7
Driver School Candidate

Cool Diesel Mileage

Fuel mileage in new diesel vehicles (I have an 08 Ford F250 4x4 as well as a 04 GX) are not as good as the older vehicles. The new emissions requirements for diesels will lower mileage by a good 15 to 20%. The older Ford diesel's averaged 16 to 20 mpg while the 08's get 12 to 14.
Old 01-15-08, 12:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Isnt the price of the Touareg V10 TDI $20000 more than the GX. The Touareg V10 TDI is list at 15 mpg city / 20 mpg highway, with those mileage, there is no way you can break even. Actually, the Touareg will be in the shop a lot of the time, so maybe you will save a lot on gas
Old 01-15-08, 12:24 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the people i work with have a Touareg. I got a chance to drive it a few weeks ago...Get it! It is sick. No comparison to the RX.
Not hating on the RX very nice vehicle, but not a Touareg.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting rid of my GX470 for a Touareg