GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Weird Metal Clanking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 09:09 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Metal Clanking Noise

Okay guys please be patient for this might be a long post. I was washign my GX towards the end of summer of last year '07 and after washing it on a sunday afternoon I parked it in the garage and that was it. The next morning my wife is driving it for the day so when she is about to pull out of the garage she lets the parking brake off and the GX wouldn't move. I tried it a couple of times and still it wouldn't move. I placed it in N, R, D but nothing. Finally I slowly stepped on the brakes and BANG! I heard a loud metal clang and the GX started to move. I drove it for weeks but finally I started hearing a metal clang whenever my front tires would hit a bump or when I go into a plaza and one of my tires would go up the ramp before the other. It was low at first but then as months passed by it started getting loud. I was racking my brains trying to figure out where it is coming from. I suspected the brakes but of course, I am not a mechanic so I am not sure.

It is embarassing to be driving a Lexus and whenever I hit uneven ground one could hear a metal clanking sound. So I finally took it to the dealer and had them check it out. Of course, they couldn't find anything wrong with it and they couldn't hear the sound. After leaving it there for a day, I picked it up and the minute I drove off the dealer their garage had a dip and of course, I heard the noise again. So I made another appointment the next week and this time I took the SA for a test drive and he finally heard the noise. So I left it there for 2 more days and he said the mechanic took it for a test drive an still coudln't hear anything. Picked up the GX and of course, when I drove it, I still hear the sound. Even my wife can hear it and usually women aren't that **** about car noises and she is getting pissed at the noise as well. So the 4th time I took it to the dealer I dealt with the Service Manager and he went on a drive with me. At first he drove it and he couldn't hear anything but then I said let me drive it and finally he could hear the clanking noise. He said it was on the front end. Left the GX for a week and finally they fixed it they said. The mechanic tighted the control arm, the bumper, and whatever he could find that was loose. It was fine for a month but after that I can hear the metal clanking sound again.

So I gave up...has anyone had this experience?

PS: I just washed the GX again this past weekend and it wouldn't go again after releasing the brakes after being washed and parked overnight. So I stepped a little on the gas to make it move.

Do you guys think its the brakes?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 01-15-08, 09:13 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

oh, by the way it isn't the clunk fix because I already did that a month after I purchased the vehicle and i don't hear or feel like a car just hit me whenever i stop.

unless you guys think that I messed that up. will the dealer fix the clunk again if that is the case?
Old 01-15-08, 09:57 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same issue with the breaks locking/rusting together after washing and pulling it in the garage. At first it scared me but now I live with it, not sure what to do. So far it has not caused any problems except sounding real bad when it happens. I do not engage the parking break after washing but it does not help. As far as the other noise, I do hear some noise in the front end at times when going over bumps but the dealer always says it is fine when I have them look at it so I finally gave up asking.
Old 01-15-08, 10:33 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

awwww darn...so i'm not the only one. i really thought i was going crazy and i was the only one with this problem.

so i guess there is no fix to this? such a disappointment especially when it is a $50,000+ vehicle.

i never had that sound though when i bought the GX. it only appeared after the brake locking incident...
Old 01-16-08, 05:28 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKGX470
i never had that sound though when i bought the GX. it only appeared after the brake locking incident...
I had not put the 2 incidents together because they have been happening since it was new, but it is sure a possibility. If the break issue is causing the noise then something with the breaks might be lose or something?? I am not a mechanic but it might be worth asking about.
Old 01-16-08, 10:35 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

i've already brought that up with the dealer and they said it isn't the brakes. that is why they tightened everything they could see loose underneath the front end...
Old 01-16-08, 11:33 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though it sounds like the noise is coming from the front end, I would have someone check the parking brake shoes and mechanism in the rear. Sound in vehicles does travel. The GX doesn't use the rear disc brakes for parking. There are 2 small drum type brakes used when the parking brake is applied. Sounds to me like one side got dislocated from the brake cable and a brake shoe is lose.
Old 01-16-08, 11:49 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

oh, i like that...finally we're getting somewhere...thanks for the input there BobsGX.

i knew someone might know in this forum...