GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone have problem passing state inspection w/ XD HID Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 10:33 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its funny that you said CA dont require auto emission inspection and have the strictest emission laws in the country.
Well, any aftermarket intake (except K&N with the carb sticker) won't pass for the smog check. Most shops that see this will let you know that it'll fail and won't bother to test you.
I don't know how some of the turbo and supercharged guys do it here

So for the visual inspections they will actually take off those 2 large black covers???
Old 02-03-08, 08:57 AM
pump142
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Az does inspections of cars over a certain age..if they are are computer run they just plug into the computer to read emmissions and codes.. if they they are older "analog" then they Dyno them
Old 02-04-08, 10:54 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Well, any aftermarket intake (except K&N with the carb sticker) won't pass for the smog check. Most shops that see this will let you know that it'll fail and won't bother to test you.
I don't know how some of the turbo and supercharged guys do it here

So for the visual inspections they will actually take off those 2 large black covers???
I wonder the same thing how these modded cars pass smog checks and visual inspections...
Old 02-11-08, 06:06 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No state inspections here in Minnesota, but the reason why the GX does not come with HID is because the DOT states that a Xenon projector cutoff shield can only be so high. This is in order to no blind on coming drivers with an elevated cutoff sheild, which is why Lexus choose to use halogen projectors for crisp lighting instead of producing a vehicle that wouldn't pass inspections.

And as far as how turbo'd and sc'd cars pass them, well you have to look at what forced induction is... it is actually increasing the volumetric efficiency, and if your not stomping on it like most drivers do, then you actually benefiting from the increased air flow to further lean your mixtures thus passing the test. When i lived in phoenix, i got 2 boosted cars through the inspections, plus if you have money into the vehicles you can also control the fuel trims even leaning it out even more.
Old 02-11-08, 06:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There are other trucks out there that are as high as the GX that have HIDs, the LR3 for example.
Old 02-11-08, 09:01 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

There are other trucks out there that are as high as the GX that have HIDs, the LR3 for example.
And escalades, RR, X5, maybe Q7, ...

Not sure if the automakers have to fight with the DOT or what not to put them in, but how do these automakers get away with it?
Old 02-11-08, 12:00 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

In California a lamp/brake inspection is done if your vehicle is salvaged only and even then they are checking the level/aim of your headlights. Only went through this once many years ago. They did not look inside to see what kind of bulbs or lights I had.

For emissions as long as you have the CARB sticker on the intake you are good to go. It is entered into the computer. My SC430 with the Injen intake passed the last time around and it also has headers but they are not very visible so the visual went without a problem. My Tundra which also had headers also passed visual twice. Crossed my fingers on that one.
Old 02-11-08, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
And escalades, RR, X5, maybe Q7, ...

Not sure if the automakers have to fight with the DOT or what not to put them in, but how do these automakers get away with it?
I think its more or less a Lexus / Toyota policy not to put HIDs on their higher trucks. I am not sure if they are trying to set a good example or what but sooner or later they will give in to consumer pressure. The technology is out there to safely put HID on truck with out blinding people. Even Acura finally gave in and start installing HIDs on their trucks.
Old 02-11-08, 12:38 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Lol burgboxstr, It just that I miss you guys so much, almost as much I miss my old GX. To tell you guys the truth, the GX is more informative. All the GS owners ever talk about is lowering their cars or aftermarket rims.
I TOLD you that you would soon miss your GX!
Old 02-11-08, 05:34 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I think its more or less a Lexus / Toyota policy not to put HIDs on their higher trucks. I am not sure if they are trying to set a good example or what but sooner or later they will give in to consumer pressure. The technology is out there to safely put HID on truck with out blinding people. Even Acura finally gave in and start installing HIDs on their trucks.
When did Acura start making (body on frame) trucks?? I thought they were all unibody platforms. Most everyone knows that a true truck chassis is a body on frame design. Now when the day comes that the F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra etc. come on a unibody chassis, I guess that will not apply anymore.
Old 02-12-08, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

My point is that it has to do with the height of the truck and the low beams, not rather the truck is unibody or body on frame.

LeslieRC, to tell you the truth, I do miss my GX. It was built solid unlike the GS. My GS only have a 1000 miles on it and the brakes are squeaking already and I got a slight rattle on my dash. According to the GS forums, those are very common problems on the new GS.
Old 02-12-08, 08:18 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

DOT states that the projector height has to be with in the ranges of 22" and 54" high. I am going to measure the GX, escalade, X5 and a few others, but i do believe the GX is slightly higher than the above mentioned... If you look at the new escalades, the projector is at the very bottom of the light and i would be willing to bet the height of the RDX or X5 is above 22 and below 54 inches.
Old 02-12-08, 11:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
DOT states that the projector height has to be with in the ranges of 22" and 54" high. I am going to measure the GX, escalade, X5 and a few others, but i do believe the GX is slightly higher than the above mentioned... If you look at the new escalades, the projector is at the very bottom of the light and i would be willing to bet the height of the RDX or X5 is above 22 and below 54 inches.
But if Lexus really wanted to put HIDs in the GX, they could have put the low beam where the high beam is.
Old 02-18-08, 03:50 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Of course I know the XD kits are for show purposes only, but since I never drive at night, , I leave mine in all the time .

Anyhow, having PA state insp along w/ o&f change done at dealer later this week. So..... has anyone w/ a XD (or any HID) kit run into problems passing state insp while kit is functional? Not that it'll take too long to put the OEM halogens back in, I'd rather just leave as is (and hope to pass or that they don't notice )

Thoughts? Previous experiences?
Nope had my HID since I purchased the car in March 2005 and passed NY state inspection everytime... But then again, I'm doing this at the Rallye Lexus dealership... It's the same charge $ as the local gas station and they dealership is not far from me, so why NOT? If there was a problem, I would quickly bring this up with the service manager (Rallye) as I have had my car in for maintence every 5K miles as stipulated and serviced by Rallye...

Good Luck!

-Alex
Old 02-20-08, 10:54 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

In CA, you have to get smogged on a dyno every other year. In AZ, it's every year, but if the car is '96 or later, they just check your OBDII for bad codes and your gas cap seal. Pre '96 is dyno. Neither require safety inspections. One time, while waiting in line at the smog station, one car ahead of me had a radiator leaking like a sieve. The guy had to put fluid in the every few minutes to prevent it from draining dry. I've seen (mostly in CA) cars w/ no hoods, broken or non-existent head/tail lights, missing body panels, even no license plates (and the guy was using the sidewalk as a passing lane!! [This was in S. Central LA]). When I lived in central NYS, they required safety inspections (lights, brakes, etc), but since I kept my car registered in CA (was a student), I was exempt. They also (once a year) set up road blocks on every street leaving/entering town and checked every car's registration.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problem passing state inspection w/ XD HID Kit?