GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone have problem passing state inspection w/ XD HID Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 04:20 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone have problem passing state inspection w/ XD HID Kit?

Of course I know the XD kits are for show purposes only, but since I never drive at night, , I leave mine in all the time .

Anyhow, having PA state insp along w/ o&f change done at dealer later this week. So..... has anyone w/ a XD (or any HID) kit run into problems passing state insp while kit is functional? Not that it'll take too long to put the OEM halogens back in, I'd rather just leave as is (and hope to pass or that they don't notice )

Thoughts? Previous experiences?
Old 01-29-08, 06:42 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HIDs for couple of years - no issues with state inspection - and excellent lighting 4100k Philips vs OEMs....
Old 01-30-08, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you get the inspection at the dealer, you should be fine. My dealer didnt even mention my HID.
Old 01-30-08, 07:59 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Thanks GGGXXX & G Man for relaying your experiences.

PA has pretty thorough insp but I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If I fail I'll just plug the halogens back in and get retested. It'll just make it a PITA to not go to the dealer in the future but I'm not gonna give up my HIDs for it. Oh well I'll let ya know what happens tomorrow. Now.... G Man get back in your new forum
Old 01-30-08, 08:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol burgboxstr, It just that I miss you guys so much, almost as much I miss my old GX. To tell you guys the truth, the GX is more informative. All the GS owners ever talk about is lowering their cars or aftermarket rims.
Old 01-30-08, 12:15 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Ha ha. There is some good info over there too but lately a lot of posts have been centered around lowering. Like any BBS it ebbs and flows. Next week it'll probably be back to trunk lighting (BTW I posted a hack there for what I did at the same time when I installed the OEM XM kit - easy fix for $10), lighted sills, de-badging, yellow fogs, exhaust, paint colors or wheels. Oh yeah, how could I forget........ and Nav hacks . Definitely tons more activity over there, but lots of "noise" to go with. One of the biggest (and best IMNSHO) differences b/w the GX and GS boards is the few # of "Polls" (9 vs 4 now) here but to each his own. .

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 01-30-08 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 01:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

burgboxstr, do you still own your GS, if so what year and model?
Old 01-30-08, 03:39 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

yep sure do - '07 GS350 AWD - Starfire Pearl/Cashmere. Took delivery of it one year ago tomorrow as a matter of fact.
Old 01-31-08, 06:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Good to see another GS here BurgBoxstr. How is your GS in the snow compare to the GX? Have you had any problem with the GS so far?
Old 01-31-08, 07:40 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

So far so good but honestly other than the day we picked up, it hasn't been tested in much other than 2-4". Tomorrow's forecast looks promising for another test though w/ freezing rain & snow . The day we picked it up we had 6-8"+ of the white stuff. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised........ on brand spankin' new tires it did a great job keeping up w/ the GX. Only slipped slightly on a tight decending radius turn taken at speed. The traction control quickly picked it up and corrected - didn't even have it in "snow" mode

On another note, back to my original post, my 5K XD HIDs didn't even raise an eyebrow at the dealer this AM for state inspection Probably didn't hurt with an IS and ES just ahead of me for insp. Suppose my lights might have gotten a little more scrutiny if there was another GX though . Who knows, just glad I didn't waste time putting the halos in temporarily.
Old 02-01-08, 08:50 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys actually have state inspections there in MA? I've never heard of it here in CA.

There was an incident in the Lexus dealer that I went to and I had to deal with the Top Service Manager. We had to test drive my car and he got in and the DRL turned on and noticed I had the 600k HIDs which i had a kit installed and he said, oh you have HIDs too huh...and he asked if its the bulb i replaced or the kit and told him I used the kit. He said that he did that to his GX as well.

What do you guys need the state inspection for?
Old 02-01-08, 09:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Actaully the state inspection is pretty strict in MA since they change the law in 1999. On non AWD cars, they actually put the drive wheel on a dynamometer to check for emission. They try to cover everything from illegal lighting to after market tinted windows.
Old 02-01-08, 09:15 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG! you serious?

wow...i never thought they were that strict on other states. I feel you guys...here in CA, there are more illegal stuff going on with peoples' cars that probably 70 to 80% of the time, the cops just let it go since there's so many of them. Unless you get pulled over for something and they see other illegal things on your ride then you'll get caught for those too.
Old 02-01-08, 05:48 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actaully the state inspection is pretty strict in MA since they change the law in 1999. On non AWD cars, they actually put the drive wheel on a dynamometer to check for emission. They try to cover everything from illegal lighting to after market tinted windows.
NY has some very strict inspections also. Downstate also does the dynamometer test. And it has to be done every year. What a pita. Just one of the many reasons that I left NY. Not to mention weather and taxes. Out here, we don't have any registration and or inspection stickers on the windshield. I don't believe inspections are even required.
Old 02-01-08, 05:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Its funny that you said CA dont require auto emission inspection and have the strictest emission laws in the country.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problem passing state inspection w/ XD HID Kit?