GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Why not a hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 02:05 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a hatch?

Why does the GX open like a hearse? And the worst part, is that it opens the wrong way, opposite the curb!

I am an IS owner, and would definitely consider the GX for my wife and the future kids. But the only thing in my opinion keeping this from "perfection" as Lexus strives for, is this tailgate.

Anyone know why this design exists, and are they going to go to a hatch type tailgate?
Old 02-08-08, 05:22 PM
schan1w
Driver

It doesn't bother me. I thought it might bother me, but really hasn't been an issue at all. I hardly ever parallel park anyways, so there is no wrong side. Even if I do parallel park, it's not that big of a deal. Never had a situation where I couldn't open the barn door either - and my garage is small.
Old 02-08-08, 05:35 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful truck! I would love to own one. However, that door should lift from the top like the RX and LX. Not sure what Lexus was thinking making the GX different like that.

Also, I think having the 3rd row of seating hurts too because even when the sides are strapped up, you lose some space in the trunk area.
Old 02-08-08, 06:54 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It opens the way it does because the Prado is originally designed to carry the spare on the back door. I actually kinda wish the spare was on the back door.
Old 02-08-08, 06:56 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the GX for 3 years and never once did I say, I wish it had a hatch instead of the barn door. In fact, my wife who is pretty small and my 10 year son loves it. At 1st, I had the same feeling as you did, but have grown to like it or simply get use to it. The only time I would load alot of stuff on a regular basis is at the supermarket and there is no parallel parking there Just think about it, are you buying a truck or a door
You do know that you can take out the 3rd row seat if you the space.
Old 02-08-08, 07:05 PM
pump142
Driver

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
It opens the way it does because the Prado is originally designed to carry the spare on the back door. I actually kinda wish the spare was on the back door.
oh heavens NO. I would not have bough ti if this was still there, Ugly deal breker
Old 02-08-08, 07:28 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Different strokes for different folks
Old 02-08-08, 08:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No big deal for me. The in-laws have a RX with the automatic rear hatch. Does nothing for me, but.....the thought did come to mind the other day when it was raining pretty hard and I was placing the groceries into the rear. A hatch would have covered me for sure. But a little water never hurt.
Old 02-09-08, 08:10 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Design of the door makes sense in Japan, where you drive on the left side, the curb is on the left side as well, hence the door that opens that way. I know that maybe Lexus should have considered a different design for NA, but they haven't. Maybe it would have been too expensive, or tailgate would have been too high for women - opinions vary. Interestingly the new LX has the double folding tailgate. The bottom portion limits your reach inside the vehicle. I guess there is no perfect solution.
Old 02-09-08, 11:14 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think part of the issue is how tall and narrow the rear of the truck is. Imagine how bloody tall/long the hatch would be, and the clearance issues.

A split gate might work, but as gsobol says, it would limit your reach into the truck.

I love the barn door, frankly. Very rarely has it been annoying at all, and I always appreciate how low-effort it is to open the door. Plus, you don't need to deal with struts weakening over time, or expensive and failure prone hydraulics used in the new power liftgates. I like simple.
Old 02-11-08, 05:29 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everybody makes valid points. I for one experienced s issues, the first I bought an electric range that the store didn't ship because it was an out of box item. The other when I bought a dresser. I still managed to get it home and out of the truck even with the barn door style so I'm still content.
Old 02-11-08, 02:01 PM
Liam
Driver School Candidate

Had an '05 Infiniti QX56 (which I would still have if it wasn't for their brake problem) but traded it for the GX. The QX56 had the power liftgate and it was way better than the Lexus barn door IMO.

I would hope a redesigned GX would include a power liftgate and an in dash harddrive for CDs. But the GX is a great truck - just returned from a week in the mountains of Colorado and it handled like a champ.
Old 02-11-08, 02:58 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

The designers need to develop the third row to be useful like the GMC Acadia or Lincoln Navigator, where the 3rd row is on the same level as the 2nd row. The trunk floor can be raised so that when you fold the seats down, the whole trunk is flat. Of course, that much requires in independent rear suspension.
Old 02-11-08, 05:27 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
If the GX had the spare on the back door (ugly), I for one would not have even looked at the GX.
Old 02-11-08, 06:43 PM
dholling13
Driver

I assume everyone here rotates their spare tire in with the right side tires (If you haven't it's about as easy as pumping gas)....

The hatch opening like a barn door isn't a pain and is actually kind of nice; it also makes it that much different than a 4 Runner .

Quick Reply: Why not a hatch?