GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need advice to integrate after market video

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 09:16 PM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice to integrate after market video

Hi and thank you for viewing.

I have a 2006 GX 470. I bought it without the DVD entertainment system because I didn't like looking at the flipped down LCD in the rear view mirror plus it would be hard for my small kids in the second room to watch movies. I got an after market system with behind the headrest LCDs, DVD player, and wireless headsets. Everything works fine but here are the issues.

- They used a FM Modulator so the sound is not good and sometime there are lots of static or no sound at all
- Only viewer (kids mostly) in the back can view the DVD so it is hard for the front (driver and front passenger) to navigate the DVD such as skipping intro, or to a specific part

Below is what I ultimately want to accomplish with your help.

- Hook the DVD player directly to the Lexus sound system - Trash the FM Modulator
- Modify the front Nav LCD to view the same DVD movie as the back. If this means having to get a new DVD player that's fine.
- Nav DVD plays movie while driving.
- I have an ipod so if I can use it with the Lexus sound system that would be cool!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 03-04-08, 11:08 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanofCA

Below is what I ultimately want to accomplish with your help.

- Hook the DVD player directly to the Lexus sound system - Trash the FM Modulator

- Modify the front Nav LCD to view the same DVD movie as the back. If this means having to get a new DVD player that's fine.

- Nav DVD plays movie while driving.
- I have an ipod so if I can use it with the Lexus sound system that would be cool!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Ryan
-Vaistech SoundLinQ SLI will give you both the Ipod integration and one Aux input for your DVD sound.

-TVonNAV will get you your dvd on the nav screen.
Old 03-04-08, 02:10 PM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Default TVonNAV

I haven't heard of TVonNAV so I google it and it seems they make devices for BMWs (not Lexus). I also went to http://www.tvonnav.com and nothing came up.

Can you provide more information?

I was about to order the Ultimate Lockpick1 but I'll hold off until I get more information about TVonNav.

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-04-08, 08:01 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S%^t...that was for my BMW...try NavTV. You may have to call them to get pricing but I am 99% sure they make an RGB interface for Lexus/Toyota.

As for the Ultimate Lockpick1 you will have to get some reviews of others on this board. I have an 04 and it would not work with mine...so I have looked at all of the other options. At first glance the Ultimate Lockpick1 looks pretty solid!

If you get one lets us all know how it works!!
Old 03-12-08, 08:45 AM
wlee69
Driver School Candidate

Default Ultimate Lockpick 1 should work

I did what you were talking about doing on my wifes RX330 ('06) with just the lockpick. As long as your DVD unit has a "out" RCA connectors, you just hook up with three cables (2 for sound, 1 for video), right into the lockpick and then you can see the dvd up front and the sound thru the "aux" on the radio.

Items to note, you will still need to reach back and point the remote at the headrest units - you'll just be able to see what you are doing in the front screen. Its also a little hit or miss when it flips over to the backup camera (meaning sometimes it doesn't flip back to the video)...

But all in all, its a great way to integrate an aftermarket dvd player into the the car.

LEt me know if you have any other questions....Will
Old 03-16-08, 01:15 AM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Default Bought, installed, watching and listening to movie on Navi

Thanks for all the tips.

I went with the Ultimate Lockpick1

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

Mainly for price because anything else would cost at least $600. I was worried about support since some users have posted issues contacting them but since I'm paying with my credit card I can always deny the charge if it doesn't workout. Anyway it came last week but I didn't get a chance to install it until earlier today.

I'm happy to say it worked perfectly so far.

I followed steps from the posts below to access the back of my Navi

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2003-2009/87880-dvd-override-and-pictures.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=296200

Once you have access to the back of the Navi you can't go wrong. I bought the Y audio cable below from Radio Shack so I can connect my IPOD too (don't play both at once).

I took two hours to install but that was because since everything was apart I decided to look into how the after market system was connected.

I would recommend Coastaletech.