GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Built-in Navi override so you can enter address while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 01:53 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roger108
thanks.. but that was the second thing i tried... it reads the disc and then the error message comes up.. part of which is in japanese
Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news but from what I remember reading in the posts in the past. You're going to have to pay the dealer and visit...

I would LOVE to be wrong, hopefully someone here can set things right?

-Alex
Old 03-08-08, 08:03 PM
Roger108

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news but from what I remember reading in the posts in the past. You're going to have to pay the dealer and visit...

I would LOVE to be wrong, hopefully someone here can set things right?

-Alex
Thanks Man... I was reading the previous posts and it looks pretty bad... but luckly throughout the years i got to know my lexus tech really well... so he said to drop it by his house, and he will swap the underseat unit with another gx to isolate the problem, and i might have to buy that unit , but it all depends on what he comes up with... so i will post, when he finds a fix
Old 03-10-08, 04:00 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

It doesn't matter what Gen Navi or what year your GX is for the built in override to work, it depends on the Version of the Navi DVD. Version 6.1 and higher the build in override was removed.
Old 03-14-08, 06:41 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusscguy
It doesn't matter what Gen Navi or what year your GX is for the built in override to work, it depends on the Version of the Navi DVD. Version 6.1 and higher the build in override was removed.
Instead of "removed", I would like to use the word "changed" instead... I'm sure that some from Toyota/Lexus HQ surfing the web realizes that the original override was leaked onto the NET and that the surge of customers coming into the service centers claiming their NAV "died" has surged recently, spurred them the "change" the override to something else.

The over ride does serve a userful purpose for the techs to quickly run diags on the computer, same for CRTs, and FLAT panels (LCDs and PLASMA). Surely someone will be able to "leak" the new over ride shortly. From a service stand point it wouldn't make sense to simply "remove" it... Just my two cents...!

-Alex
Old 03-14-08, 06:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know the foreman at my Lexus dealer pretty well, I ask him if there was a new override for the new nav. He just smile at me and change the subject. That tells me that there is a new override but they are trying to keep it at the tech level.
Old 03-14-08, 08:48 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I know the foreman at my Lexus dealer pretty well, I ask him if there was a new override for the new nav. He just smile at me and change the subject. That tells me that there is a new override but they are trying to keep it at the tech level.
Thought so...! It's show up "eventually"... The tech guys DEFINATELY got tired of all the "noobs" playing around with the settings in the service menu and wind up "bricking" the NAV unit... I'm sure it cost the techs nothing but "time" to fix but they want to clamp down on the "secret" for now...

-Alex
Old 03-17-08, 10:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Any of you guys ever tried the voice command "address". I was very surprise at how well it works and it works while you are in motion too
Old 03-17-08, 02:44 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Any of you guys ever tried the voice command "address". I was very surprise at how well it works and it works while you are in motion too
ROFL... You know about two years ago, I found a "list" of EVERY single voice command for the NAV system and after spending about 1 hour, I quietly put the list down and almost BURNED it right then and there...! Since then, I've haven't tried to VOICE commands again, I don't need another bout' of anger to stress me out...

I will try "address" though just to see what it'll do...

Thanks G.
Old 03-18-08, 07:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lonewolf, I had that list too, and try almost every command. About the only command I could get the system to recognize was " home ". Understandably, I was very skeptical when someone told me to try this. To my surprise, it recognizes my command every time and I even tried some of the harder street names too. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you. I have a gen 5, version 7.1, I dont know if that makes any difference.
Old 03-21-08, 05:03 PM
Roger108

Alright so heres the deal guy:

Just got my car back today. My tech at lexus played around with it. His service mngr wanted first 1100 then dropped it down to 800 to get me a new nav ecu, (I know its an awesome deal) but i found it to be a lot still so after my tech did his stuff.. he got to screen back up and running but some of the dest functions dont work, and i cant change from KM to miles. I can get back into the initial firmware menu that F**ed it up in the first place but I dont know which firmware to pick. My dvd version is 3.1 and its an 04

does anyone know what the firmware version is?
Old 03-23-08, 08:36 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Sigh.

If you look back a year or so ago this override was all the rage. It was taken out in its last KNOWN form for Gen 5 (the 07 GX and later), and was also removed if you updated the Nav disks for the earlier models. I haven't seen the new "Easter Egg", but if it is there I am sure someone will find it.

Sorry Roger, but that same problem came up before where somebody pushed Japanese just to see what would happen. Somebody went through all the same stuff to fix it that you did. The really frustrating part is that at the end they claimed they found a fix. Then we never heard from them again. We posted several times, and I think I even sent a private message to the guy asking him to share the solution, but no luck. If you do get somewhere with it, I hope you will share the final answer whatever it is.

We did put warnings up, especially as one needs to punch all those buttons every time you start the GX and that increases the chances of hitting something wrong.

I find it hard to believe that if the system lets you switch to Japanese from English it doesn't let you switch back in some way. It makes no sense to trash the hardware! If you know somebody who reads Japanese, maybe they can find something in the settings.

Good luck and I hope somebody can help at a reasonable price.
Old 03-23-08, 01:23 PM
Roger108

I am almost positive that once i change the firmware to the original US one everything will work. But please note that i am still able to use the navigation system for guidance. The only thing i cant do, is move the cursor around the map. but the voice guidance and everything else works. I will try and post some pics a little later.

If anyone knows what the firmware version is for my car can you please tell me. I dont want to claim a 100% fic until i can be sure that it will work.
Old 03-24-08, 01:08 PM
Roger108

anyone have the firmware version?