GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Strange Omission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 04:55 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Omission?

The GX470 was introduced in model year 2003 and I bought my GX470 in 2005, knowing that the National Highway Institute's crash rating for the GX was not yet available. I just figured it was too new but today, on MSN.com, I saw a new 2008 mid sized SUV crash test and again the GX470 was omitted...

I thought maybe I may have missed the 2006 or 2007 crash report but when I googled the info, I found that, the crash test info is N/A for all years:

It's not an issue for me any longer but it would be nice to know the results anyway, anyone here feel the same way?

-Alex
Old 02-27-08, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think they assume the GX is so similar to the 4Runner V8 that they just didnt bother to test the GX.
Old 02-27-08, 11:02 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

They decided the GX is too nice to be crash tested

I think G Man is right. It's interesting that the IIHS site doesn't have the GX listed either, presumably for the same reason.

FWIW I found a test from ANCAP (Australia) for an '03 TLC Prado GXL, which is even more like the GX then the 4Runner in that it also shares the GX's sheetmetal. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it fared to well in their offset frontal impact test. (Note that this particular trim level of the TLC Prado does NOT have side/side curtain airbags which have always been a standard safety feature of the Lexus GX, although it looks like the Prado is exempt from side crash testing under the ANCAP rules)

Link: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/anc...-gxl-2003.html

ANCAP crash test results
Toyota Prado GXL| 2003 -
Dual front airbags

Model history and safety features
The tested model of Toyota Landcruiser Prado was introduced in Australia during 2003.
Dual front airbags are standard equipment on all variants. ABS brakes are optional on the GX variant and standard on other variants. Side (thorax) airbags, head-protecting side curtains and electronic stability control are standard on the VX and Grande variants.
The front seat belt buckles are mounted on the seats and the upper anchorages are adjustable. These features improve the fit of the seat belt. Pre-tensioners are fitted to the front seat belts to reduce slack in the event of a crash. A three point seat belt is fitted to the centre rear seat. This provides better protection than a two point seat belt.

Overall evaluation:
The TOYOTA PRADO scored 11.53 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape well. Protection from serious chest and lower leg injury was marginal for the driver.

The vehicle was awarded a default score of 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. A separate report covers the Prado with curtain airbags.

Frontal offset crash test
Body region scores out of 4 points each: Head/neck 4pts, chest 2.57pts, upper legs 3pts, lower legs 1.96pts.

The passenger compartment held its shape well in the offset crash test. The brake pedal moved rearwards by 82mm and downwards 1mm relative to the driver's seat. The steering wheel hub moved forwards 4mm, upwards 58mm and sideways 12mm. The front ("A") pillar moved 25mm rearwards. The width of the driver's door opening shortened by 8mm. All doors remained closed during the crash. After the crash all doors could be opened with normal effort.
The airbag cushioned the head of the driver and contact was stable. Steering column components were a potential source of injury for the driver's knees. The passenger's head was cushioned by the airbag. The passenger's knees hit the glove box.

Side impact crash test
Default 16 points awarded for side impact test.

The side impact test normally used by ANCAP simulates a small car striking the driver's door of the vehicle under test. It is based on a regulation test but the regulation does not apply to vehicles with a high seat height like the Prado. Such vehicles can be expected to perform well in this particular side impact test so ANCAP has decided to award full score for these vehicles instead of conducting a crash test.

ANCAP chose to conduct a pole test as part of a research program. This is usually an optional test for vehicles with head-protecting side airbags such as curtains. The tested vehicle did not have these and head protection was poor so it scored zero points out of a maximum of two points for the pole test.

Injury measurements
Refer to the information sheet
"How the test are done" Offset Crash Test
at 64km/h (v4.1) Side
impact
crash
test at
50km/h
(v4.1)
Driver Passn Driver
Head HIC 246 296 -
Acceleration (g for 3ms) 39 42.5 -
Neck - Shear (kN) 0.57 0.57 -
- Tension (kN) 0.86 1.14 -
- Extension (Nm) 26.8 11.5 -
Chest Accln (g for 3ms) - - -
Compression (mm) 32 31 -
Viscous criterion (m/s) 0.11 0.09 -
Abdomen - Force (kN) - - -
Pelvis - Force (kN) - - -
Upper legs - Force Left 0.11 0.31
(kN) Right 0.51 2
Knee displ (mm) Left 0.4 0
Right 0 1.6
Lower legs - Force Left 2.08 1.32
(kN) Right 1.79 1.48
Index (Upper/Low) Left 0.86/ 0.28/
Right 0.41/ 0.26

Bonus points (maximum 5)
Pole test: 2 points
Seat belt reminders: None

Modifiers for offset test scores
Head No deduction
Chest No deduction
Upper leg Variable & conc. loading 1 pt deduction L & R
Lower leg No deduction
Foot score Score 4 points

Pedestrian rating (v4):
Not tested
Edit: Here's a link to the ANCAP results for the Prado VX/Grande trim level which has the side curtain airbags:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/anc...ande-2003.html

Last edited by GatorGreg; 02-27-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 12:00 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
They decided the GX is too nice to be crash tested

I think G Man is right. It's interesting that the IIHS site doesn't have the GX listed either, presumably for the same reason.

FWIW I found a test from ANCAP (Australia) for an '03 TLC Prado GXL, which is even more like the GX then the 4Runner in that it also shares the GX's sheetmetal. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it fared to well in their offset frontal impact test. (Note that this particular trim level of the TLC Prado does NOT have side/side curtain airbags which have always been a standard safety feature of the Lexus GX, although it looks like the Prado is exempt from side crash testing under the ANCAP rules)

Link: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/anc...-gxl-2003.html

Edit: Here's a link to the ANCAP results for the Prado VX/Grande trim level which has the side curtain airbags:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicles/anc...ande-2003.html

I would totally go with the PRADO safety test before going with the 4 runner tests because the GX470 is a re-badge PRADO rather than a 4 runner. That said the not too happy with the report but it is what it is...