GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clear Coat peeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 09:18 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Clear Coat peeling

I washed my car last weekend (March 2) and when I sprayed the car 2 spots started losing its clear coat. I was very surprised and didn't think that the power wash at a car wash place was capable of doing this.

I tried calling the dealership twice this week and haven't gotten a return phone call yet. I'm planning to call them again this week. Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? I heard that lexus has a 10yr corrusion prevention warranty. Here's the 2 pics that I took one of each spot.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Coat peeling-clearcoatpeel.jpg  
Old 03-08-08, 12:29 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Bit painful to look at that... Sorry to see.

The pieces shown there are plastic, so the corrosion warranty won't apply, not to mention that the corrosion warranty typically applies for metal rusting all the way through as opposed to paint issues.

That said, it still seems like a good idea to see what your dealer tells you. You never know if they have seen this before and are willing to help you out or "goodwill" the repair.
Old 03-08-08, 01:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very odd indeed. Could have been painted before you bought the car?

I never use pressure washing on my paint though I have done in long ago with never an issue.

Let us know what the dealer says.
Old 03-08-08, 02:51 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, ck to see if its been repainted before? Also i've had a bad experience with those new touchless carwashes, but with my civic (about 6 years ago), made the paint peel like your but smaller spots. You could just have someone hand wash for about $20
Old 03-08-08, 03:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

kphu, didnt you buy the GX used? I am thinking who ever own it before you put some cleaning chemical on the running board that they shouldnt have, weakening the clear coat. Some cleaning chemicals are known to strip clear coats, especially on plastic.
Old 03-08-08, 05:38 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, I'm pretty ticked off at these eye-sores. The vehicle was purchased as a CPO so I'm wondering what they are going to do about it.

Edit:

Regardless of the outcome, I'll have to get it fixed even if it costs me a few bucks. Luckily I got a decent bonus and raise this year so no major set backs with the exception of wanting to trade up my 94 ES300. I'm currently deciding on the Gen2 GS400/430 or the Gen3 GS350.

Last edited by kphu; 03-08-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 05:43 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

In case I have to go the out of pocket route, any of you guys from MA know where I should take it to?

Last edited by kphu; 03-08-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 06:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

kphu, take your bonus and raise and get yourself a GS, we took a ride up to New Hamphine with it this week. The GS is born to run on the highway. It ran smoother on the highway doing 100 mph than the GX did doing 75. I was also surprise with how good the GS350 AWD is in the snow considering it has performance tires. There is no sense in getting the GS430 since it has less hp than the GS350 and its worst on gas. The GS350's direct fuel injection engine is a work of art, it just keep pulling all the way up pass a 100 mph. It puts the V8 engine on the GX to shame, sorry to say. If you are looking at the GS, try to get a 08, the 07 and 06 have a lot of production issue.
Old 03-08-08, 06:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
kphu, take your bonus and raise and get yourself a GS, we took a ride up to New Hamphine with it this week. The GS is born to run on the highway. It ran smoother on the highway doing 100 mph than the GX did doing 75. I was also surprise with how good the GS350 AWD is in the snow considering it has performance tires. There is no sense in getting the GS430 since it has less hp than the GS350 and its worst on gas. The GS350's direct fuel injection engine is a work of art, it just keep pulling all the way up pass a 100 mph. It puts the V8 engine on the GX to shame, sorry to say. If you are looking at the GS, try to get a 08, the 07 and 06 have a lot of production issue.
hahaha - easier said then done. If I can pass my grad school payments on to you then, absolutely within a heartbeat I will have one or if you want to make me an employee at your company then that might work.
Old 03-09-08, 10:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I hear you man, we all have bills. I work for the government, so unless you want to take a pay cut, you dont want to work for my company
Old 03-09-08, 03:33 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I would say that your car was touched up by the dealer before your bought it. I had the same thing happen on a Certified LS - although not nearly as bad as yours - and the dealer paid to have the bumper removed and painted correctly, even included a loaner. Good Luck.

Dave Mac
Old 03-10-08, 07:21 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I would say that your car was touched up by the dealer before your bought it. I had the same thing happen on a Certified LS - although not nearly as bad as yours - and the dealer paid to have the bumper removed and painted correctly, even included a loaner. Good Luck.

Dave Mac
Dave, how did you go about getting them to take care of it?
Old 03-12-08, 01:35 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

So I took it to Lexus of Norwood today and the service manager looked at it. He said he's never seen anything like this before. He thinks there's something wrong with the paint because when he rubbed it with his finger it started peelig off.

He mentioned that lexus has a paint warranty of 4yrs 50K, I have 51K on my odometer so he took pictures of it and sent it to the manufacturer and the "big wigs" there will need to make a decision. Most likely, I'll have to get a new paint job. He said he'll have an answer in a couple of days.
Old 03-24-08, 05:33 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I finally got a call from Lexus today regarding my peeling clearcoat. They will fix it under warranty so next week I get to play with a loaner.

Edit:

A big for Lexus of Norwood! They've always taken care of me so far.
Old 03-25-08, 08:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

kphu, I am glad it worked out good for you, ask for a white GS loaner

Quick Reply: Clear Coat peeling