GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Goodbye GX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 10:57 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken my '03 GX with family on a 6 hr drive from LA to San Francisco 3 times already and never had any problems with uncomfortable ride, seat and so on. One time we actually had 5 people and a car seat with luggage in the back and it still fit everyone without a hitch.

But when I did the same trip on a brand new tahoe rental, my accelerator leg and back were hurting on the 5th hour of driving. I had to have a massage from my wife when I got to San Francisco.

Now, I also have an X5 but I never dare to take that in long drives of more than 3 hours. It is just not as comfy as the GX by far...
Old 04-08-08, 12:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hummm, I would take a massage from my wife over a comfortable seat
Old 04-08-08, 03:37 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '04 GX470 purchased new and have about 40k on it. I think its a great vehicle however am not over zealous in thinking it is the best thing on earth and everything else is crap.

If you need the room of an Avalanche then it is a better vehicle for you. I think many here have not had a modern Chevy SUV/Truck. They are extremely nice inside and a loaded version has AT LEAST the high quality feel of the GX470 and in many ways the interior is more modern. Gas mileage will be slightly less even with the cylinder deactivation stuff. All in all very nice vehicles over the previous body style. Absolutely, nicer ride and interior than a new Tundra -- hands down. The Tundra motor is great, but there is more to a truck than that if you are using it for family duties as well.

I have had great service from my dealer but agree that it runs on the expensive side, not Mercedes expensive but much more than the standard brands. Sometimes I have a hard time going in for the $79 oil change just because I am feeling cheap, I always do but know where you are coming from.

Enjoy your new vehicle, and perhaps when Lexus makes a vehicle that better suits your needs you will come back and use a more responsive dealer.
Old 04-08-08, 03:49 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short fuse!

I think you lost a lot more than $118 if you look at selling or trading in a rig after 15 months.

Sorry dude enjoy the GMC product.

Personally I would rather drive my 96 Landcruiser than any new GMC not to mention my GX.
Old 04-08-08, 04:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Even with cylinder deactivation, the Avalanche only gets like 14 MPG in the city, in real life probably more like 12 MPG. Another thing is that the Avalanche is built in Mexico, I would never buy a car from Mexico, nothing personally to anyone who is Mexican out there. The interior did improved, but still not up to Lexus quality. If you load up the option on the Avalanche, its only $4000 thousand dollars cheaper than the GX with similar option.

Some people just cannot get comfortable in small cars such as the original poster. Now, the GX is not a small car but its not quite as big as a Avalanche. The Avalanche's seats are wider and softer but not necessarily more comfortable to all people. In fact, most people find that the Lexus' seats are some of the best on the market.
Old 04-08-08, 05:55 PM
brickauto
Driver

LandCruiser > Avalanche

Old 04-08-08, 09:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Congratulations on the Avalanche. As long as it fits your needs, then who cares what anyone else says
Old 04-09-08, 03:17 PM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

Congrads on your new ride, you have to get what you like, we had our GX for 2 years and then we took a 14 hour trip from Fl to Va and I have to agreed with you 100% the GX is not that comfortable on a long drive and eats alot of gas. Now it's not that we can't afford the gas, we can, it's the point of giving all that money to oil companies that bugs us. We will be taking alot of trips from Fl to Va, because our daughter and grandchildren moved there. When we got back to Fl, my wife said we have to get something a bit more comfortable, I agreeded, now we have been Toyota/Lexus people for over 30 years. We went up to the Toyota dealership because she wanted to checkout the new Avalon, she test drove it and loved it, and I got to admit the car drives alot like a Lexus, could be because it's build on the LS's platform. Anyway we took a trip up to Va in it, and it was a world of difference, 100 times more comfortable then the GX. We loved the GX, but it's time was over. And everyone saying this and that about driving the GX on long trips, I would love to know what you are comparing it with ?
Old 04-09-08, 03:54 PM
brickauto
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscguy
And everyone saying this and that about driving the GX on long trips, I would love to know what you are comparing it with ?
I compared it with my past Volvo XC90, the only pro from the Volvo was much better headrest on the seats.
Old 04-09-08, 04:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

One has to keep in mind that comfort is subjective, what works for one person may not for another.
When I first got my Ford Fusion it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I have every been in. A few weeks later my body was adjusted to it's seats and new driving position.

My SC430, took me a few days to get comfortable in it.
The GX has been good to my from from the get go but may not apply to others as everyones body, stress points, muscle,etc are different.
Porsche Sport seats are my favorite for long distance touring as I just fit very nicely in them. Larger people need not apply for those seats.
An Avalanche may just be what he needs for his situation.