GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Soon to be GX 470 Owner. Well maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 08:08 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update......

Well I read everyone's advice (pros and cons) and decided to move forward with the purchase of my first Lexus. I am now the proud owner of a 22k mile Certified PreOwned Gray 2004 GX470 with all the bells and whistles (except RSES). Before delivery, the dealership also installed the Vaistech IPod kit and gave me the updated navigation disc!

I am coming from a Mercedes ML350 in which i had zero problems and zero complaints so the GX has huge shoes to fill. At first I was a little apprehensive about going from Mercedes-Benz to Lexus because to some, Mercedes is considered the flagship of luxury automobiles (not referring to quality or reliability but rather perception) and I felt as if I was stepping down a bit. I still feel that way to an extent but I am sure (I hope) those feelings will subside after owning the car for awhile longer.

First impressions after a few days of ownership:

1. I prefer a stiffer type ride (not as stiff as the BMW X5) and the Lexus seems to be on the softer bouncier side. This is definitely not a negative but just an observation.

2. The brakes on the Lexus doesn't seem responsive and I find it takes awhile to come to a complete stop. I have had a few close calls!

3. The vaistech SL2i took awhile to get use to and so far it seems to work okay with one exception. Question: Is there a way to navigate through folders WITHIN a playlist?

4. I have no idea why the ride height would be useful but I like watching the SUV drop it like its hot! Question: Can I ride around in the low setting? Maybe doing so will stiffen the ride a bit.

5. The ML stereo is absolutely INSANE! Question: Is there a way to change the background Menu color from brown? Question: Can the stereo play DVD's and/or mp3's.

6. I am surprised no one has brought a class action lawsuit against Lexus regarding the usability of the navigation's voice recognition system because so far it has proven to be worthless. The only command I can get the system to recognize is "find Chinese" and "find ATM".

7. The navigation system itself is great! However, when I am blasting the stereo I cannot hear the Navigation route prompts and I have the voice guide set to the highest volume setting. On most units, the stereo is attenuated.

8. In the folded position, the third row seats tend to block my view therefore I will remove or re-position them this weekend.

9. I am still on the first tank of gas so I have no real data to gauge. Numerically, the Mercedes has a better mpg rating by 1 or 2 miles on Hwy and City but when you factor in the Mercedes requires premium and the Lexus does not, I think it evens out.

10. I do not have the rear spoiler and disagree with another poster who said the SUV looks naked without it. Eventually I would like to have one but for now the SUV looks good to me! Question: Can I buy one already painted to match the vehicle?

11. It would be cool to have more up front nooks and crannies for stuff like loose change, cell phone etc but the middle console works just fine no biggie!

12. I had a major fallout with the dealership but since we have come to terms I will refrain from flaming them on this forum.

Next add-on: Satellite radio.

I guess this is all for now and thank you to everyone who helped in the decision process.
Old 04-17-08, 08:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You must have been lucky with your old Mercedes ML350, most of them are full of problems. As far as Mercedes being the considered the flagship of luxury automobiles, thats is somewhat true but I would not consider the ML the flagship of luxury SUV. As far as the ride, there is not much you can do about it, lexus makes it hard for you to upgarde the GX's suspension. Maybe you should have gotten one with the KDSS which will improve handling a bit. The brakes are pretty powerful, but most of it is in the lower half of the pedal. You might want to check the pads to see how much you got left. You cannot drive around in low setting, the rear air suspension will go back to auto after a certain speed. Yes, voice recognition system is pretty worthless.

Last edited by The G Man; 04-18-08 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 08:53 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Well I read everyone's advice (pros and cons) and decided to move forward with the purchase of my first Lexus. I am now the proud owner of a 22k mile Certified PreOwned Gray 2004 GX470 with all the bells and whistles (except RSES). Before delivery, the dealership also installed the Vaistech IPod kit and gave me the updated navigation disc!

I am coming from a Mercedes ML350 in which i had zero problems and zero complaints so the GX has huge shoes to fill. At first I was a little apprehensive about going from Mercedes-Benz to Lexus because to some, Mercedes is considered the flagship of luxury automobiles (not referring to quality or reliability but rather perception) and I felt as if I was stepping down a bit. I still feel that way to an extent but I am sure (I hope) those feelings will subside after owning the car for awhile longer.

First impressions after a few days of ownership:

1. I prefer a stiffer type ride (not as stiff as the BMW X5) and the Lexus seems to be on the softer bouncier side. This is definitely not a negative but just an observation.

2. The brakes on the Lexus doesn't seem responsive and I find it takes awhile to come to a complete stop. I have had a few close calls!

3. The vaistech SL2i took awhile to get use to and so far it seems to work okay with one exception. Question: Is there a way to navigate through folders WITHIN a playlist?

4. I have no idea why the ride height would be useful but I like watching the SUV drop it like its hot! Question: Can I ride around in the low setting? Maybe doing so will stiffen the ride a bit.

5. The ML stereo is absolutely INSANE! Question: Is there a way to change the background Menu color from brown? Question: Can the stereo play DVD's and/or mp3's.

6. I am surprised no one has brought a class action lawsuit against Lexus regarding the usability of the navigation's voice recognition system because so far it has proven to be worthless. The only command I can get the system to recognize is "find Chinese" and "find ATM".

7. The navigation system itself is great! However, when I am blasting the stereo I cannot hear the Navigation route prompts and I have the voice guide set to the highest volume setting. On most units, the stereo is attenuated.

8. In the folded position, the third row seats tend to block my view therefore I will remove or re-position them this weekend.

9. I am still on the first tank of gas so I have no real data to gauge. Numerically, the Mercedes has a better mpg rating by 1 or 2 miles on Hwy and City but when you factor in the Mercedes requires premium and the Lexus does not, I think it evens out.

10. I do not have the rear spoiler and disagree with another poster who said the SUV looks naked without it. Eventually I would like to have one but for now the SUV looks good to me! Question: Can I buy one already painted to match the vehicle?

11. It would be cool to have more up front nooks and crannies for stuff like loose change, cell phone etc but the middle console works just fine no biggie!

12. I had a major fallout with the dealership but since we have come to terms I will refrain from flaming them on this forum.

Next add-on: Satellite radio.

I guess this is all for now and thank you to everyone who helped in the decision process.

First off, CONGRATS AND WELCOME!

1) The Lexus has 4 ride options. Play with the dial on the console and see which you prefer.

2) Have the brakes double checked as they should be responsive, however you have been rolling around in a different car for a few years, so you may be used to applying a different amount of pressure in order stop. While practicing, more is probably better. HAHA

3) You should be able to use the controls on the steering wheel as well as the screen to navigate the playlists - ********ALSO - since you are lucky enough to have 2004, check to see if you are able to override the system and use the controls while driving - it may not work with an updated NAV disk********** You will find the override instructions on another post

4) The ride height is adjusted for towing capabilties and ease of loading stuff (people, groceries, etc.) into the truck. Once you hit 20 or so, the ride will rise back up.

5) THE ML SYSTEM - yes, I am not in my truck now, but you can change the background from green, blue, brown and gray. Check in the "MENU" - if you can't figure it out, PM me and I will walk you through it. If you don't have the DVD player, you are out of luck. I can't remember if my 2004 played MP3's, however since they put the iPod kit in, you should be set.

6) Are you saying the word "find" each time. If so, just try saying "Coffee House", "ATM", etc. This should improve it.

7) Hearing aid - lol - I can relate as I have a subwoofer in my truck. I think I basically have missed two turns because of that, so now I actually pay attention while driving - scary!

8) I couldn't agree with you more. However, I have had 4 of these since 2003 and the seats are always up. I find myself doublechecking before I move over.

9) My last fill up cost me $86.27 - I just have gotten use to that fact. What is really bad is that I assume that by Summer, I will have a $100.00 fill up, which I will post the receipt on here for all to enjoy

10) Yes, you can buy it already painted, however, since your truck is a 2004, you might want have it painted yourself to get an perfect match. Although, I love that you found a 2004 with only 22K miles - that's awesome - my 2005 had 53K before I sold it.

11) Ahhh, the nooks and cranny question - we all wish for more space and deeper cup holders (I find myself using the console cup holders more often for bottles of water). The only thing I have done is put felt in the "ash tray" and turned it into a coin holder AKA "non-smokers box". I have yet to come up with a solution for more spots to more "junk", but I am looking into building a center console bench using Lexus leather that would open and drop into the current center console. This way, my right arm would sit on the console vs. the armrest (just getting picky here).

12) Dealership fallouts - I have had two now and am onto my third dealer - maybe this one will keep my business.

Satellite Radio - AWESOME - hopefully you go with Sirius - the system will intergrate nicely with your iPod adapter. Contact the guys at VAIS and they will hook you up and walk you through it.

OR,

Better yet I actually have an entire Sirius Kit (Radio {SIRIUS CONNECT**, antenna, NEW cables and the VAIS {SLS**) that I took out of my 2005 GX470 and I will give it to you for $175.00 shipped. I sent it out to VAIS and they have updated it with the latest software. This is everything you need to get going. Private Message me if you are interested.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

Jason
Old 04-17-08, 09:12 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JasonCANES
3) ********ALSO - since you are lucky enough to have 2004, check to see if you are able to override the system and use the controls while driving - it may not work with an updated NAV disk********** You will find the override instructions on another post

6) Are you saying the word "find" each time. If so, just try saying "Coffee House", "ATM", etc. This should improve it.

OR,

Better yet I actually have an entire Sirius Kit (Radio {SIRIUS CONNECT**, antenna, NEW cables and the VAIS {SLS**) that I took out of my 2005 GX470 and I will give it to you for $175.00 shipped. I sent it out to VAIS and they have updated it with the latest software. This is everything you need to get going. Private Message me if you are interested.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

Jason
Jason, thanks so much for the congrats and well wishes!

3. I will look for the instructions and check during lunch and post in about an hour!

My issue is still finding artist within a playlist.

For example, Playlist = Pop/Rock
Artist within the playlist Pop/Rock = Creed, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, etc.

How do I scroll through artist within a playlist. If I am listening to Creed and would like to listen to Maroon 5, I have to scroll one song at a time until I land on Maroon 5.

6. HAHAHA! My bad! I was saying "Find Chinese" and "Find ATM". I will try without the word "Find". Thanks!

Please forgive me for all the questions but I am interested in your system and hope you give me first crack cause I know folks are ready to pounce after seeing your post. First I have a few more questions. How would I integrate your system with what I already have which is the Vais SL2i? Can they both be used together or would your setup eliminate the need for the SL2i they I currently have?

Also, why did you say "......since you are lucky enough to have 2004" Is there something about the 2004 i should know about?
Old 04-17-08, 09:14 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

All good information. Thanks The G Man!
Old 04-17-08, 09:49 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Jason, thanks so much for the congrats and well wishes!

3. I will look for the instructions and check during lunch and post in about an hour!

My issue is still finding artist within a playlist.

For example, Playlist = Pop/Rock
Artist within the playlist Pop/Rock = Creed, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, etc.

How do I scroll through artist within a playlist. If I am listening to Creed and would like to listen to Maroon 5, I have to scroll one song at a time until I land on Maroon 5.

6. HAHAHA! My bad! I was saying "Find Chinese" and "Find ATM". I will try without the word "Find". Thanks!

Please forgive me for all the questions but I am interested in your system and hope you give me first crack cause I know folks are ready to pounce after seeing your post. First I have a few more questions. How would I integrate your system with what I already have which is the Vais SL2i? Can they both be used together or would your setup eliminate the need for the SL2i they I currently have?

Also, why did you say "......since you are lucky enough to have 2004" Is there something about the 2004 i should know about?

The reason I said, "lucky enough" was because you should still be able to override your navigation. In 2008, the override has changed and no one has been able to "find" it AKA - we can't convince our shop managers to give us the details on how to do it.

As for your VAIS unit, you just need to scroll through until you get to the song you want to hear. However, the guys at VAIS Technologies (ask for Eugene) are awesome and can help you out with your SL2i. Also, when you talk to Eugene, just confirm with him that the SL2i will connect nicely with an updated SLS (as of March of 2008). I am almost 100% sure it works as that is the same set up I had in my 2005 (SIDE NOTE: If you buy it from me and you can't get it to work after installation, I'll give you your money back) The SLS will connect with your SL2i so you have your iPOD connection and Satellite connection (just hit the AM button). The need to be used together.

Good luck finding chinese!
Old 04-17-08, 10:23 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Default Navigation override............

The navigation override didn't work. I was able to make it all the way through the instructions but still was unable to navigate while driving. Now I have to ask myself. If pressing the override button didn't override the Nav, what the heck did it override?

Hmmmm..............
Old 04-17-08, 10:32 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

First the warning: DO NOT MESS WITH ANY OF THE CONTROLS IN THE BACK END OF THE SYSTEM except the "OVERRIDE" - I have heard nightmares.

Now that we got that out of the way, you need to hold the override button down until it stays lit. It should be about 3 seconds.

Then, you will be able to override the navigation while driving. You need to do this everytime you start the car.

Let me know if that works and if you are interested in the VAIS, you can have first crack at it - PM me and we can do it via paypal. It is already packed - all it needs is an address to go to.

Jason
Old 04-17-08, 10:43 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Thanks for the heads up Jason because just my luck (and curiosity) I would screw something up.

As for the override, I did just that. I held down the button until it changed from blue to green AND I heard a beep. Still nothing, nada, zilch

These are the buttons that I saw in blue:

Oh yeah, imagine these are 8 buttons....

----------------------------------
Version * Loading
GPS * Location
Override * Disk Info
Error Log * Set Time

I will call Eugene in a few
Old 04-17-08, 10:47 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

I have to assume that when they gave you the latest nav DVD, that removed the override - you can find posts on here talking about it - if you can't find it - ask one of the moderators. I'm glad I warned you because I remember somebody changing the language and some other things and it was disaster for them. So, you can be curious about other things, but I suggest leaving that one be! I'll talk to you this afternoon!

Jason
Old 04-17-08, 10:56 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

I just spoke with Eugene and he informed that your Sat kit would work perfectly with the 2005 GX but does not work with 2004 because of the AUX input. Oh well thanks for the great offer and I am sure someone will ****** it off your hands soon.
Old 04-17-08, 11:56 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

That's too bad - hey, but I am still happy that you joined the club! If there is anything you need, there are plenty of people to help out!

GOOD LUCK!

Jason
Old 04-17-08, 07:55 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JasonCANES
Now that we got that out of the way, you need to hold the override button down until it stays lit. It should be about 3 seconds.
Jason,

I have great news! The override worked on my 2004 GX with the latest Navigation disc!

Here is what I observed based on all I've read about overriding the navigation system.

1. The directions state that the key should be in the "On" position before performing the override. However, when performing the procedures EXACTLY as stated, it does not work. Why? Because after performing the override with the key in the "On" position and then starting the GX, the navigation would restart and I would assume the override didn't work but actually, the override was reset during the restart. Maybe others knew how to interpret the directions but I tend to be a literal person so I follow directions to the "T" and they failed! I later decided to perform the override while the car was running and everything worked like a charm.

2. I betcha these overrides would work for alot more people if they.......

A. Do the procedures slowly and deliberately (meaning pay attention to where your fingers touch the screen).

B. Try the procedure multiple times. Why? Because there are so many things that can affect the outcome of the procedures because lets face it, you are punching some buttons that do not exist on the screen. I can get the procedure to work one out of every four or five times which suggest to me that I was doing something wrong on the times the procedures did not work (ie. finger pressure, going too fast, too anxious , etc) Now I can get it on the first or second try every time!

Folks should try the procedure again and hopefully they will work the second, third, fourth time around.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 04-17-08 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 04:57 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GX470ME congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. I just bought and installed a spoiler off of ebay. Painted and shipped for $150. The seller is thespoilerstore. The paint matched perfectly even though I have an 03.
Old 04-18-08, 05:35 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Thanks kphu! Did you do the install yourself and if so, how difficult was it?

Quick Reply: Soon to be GX 470 Owner. Well maybe....