GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

MY 2008 Sport Package w/ KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 08:19 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 2008 Sport Package w/ KDSS

Lot's of pics guys! However for some reason, they will not post here, so follow the link if you are interested!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...3YsnJQ&notag=1

Some disclaimers below:

1) The HID's do not look that blue, nor do the running boards or interior lighting. All of them are a very crisp white and I have 3300 miles and not a single person has flashed me yet. Additionally, the "cut-off" usually hits right below the trunk line of cars in front of me

2) The Lexus "L"s are not expensive and any good interior upholstery shop can give that custom look within 2 days

3) The VAIS iPod and Sirius units work very nicely together and gives me complete iPod/Sirius control from the steering wheel/radio controls

4) The subwoofer adds a good amount of bass - nothing crazy, but really fills up the ML system nicely.

5) The Lexus Towel - great for after the gym or kickball games (yes, I play kickball (Kickball.com)!

6) I have replaced the gray mats with the black Lexus rubber ones from the dealer (well, ebay) and they are great - keep the interior clean and holds a ton of water. Also, there is no rubbery odor!

7) Chrome headlamp trim frames - stock on most new Lexus cars

8) K&N Air Filter (Thanks to JCWhitney for throwing it in)

9) Custom LED turn signals in the lower grill

Future Mod no more!
Front Spoiler from LX Mode - Discontinued

Last edited by JasonCANES; 05-16-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 08:46 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking GX!

I need to get some LED's!
Old 04-15-08, 09:24 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!
Old 04-15-08, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those are 5000K HID? They look more like 8000K, maybe they were not warmed up when you took the picture. The PIAA LED looks to be about the right color though.
Old 04-15-08, 10:38 AM
tightlinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good!!

I'm very interested in getting the XD's also but I'm not sure which one. The 5000k you have look real good.

How do you like them so far??

I'm also worried about warranty problems with the dealer since I have an 08 like you.
Old 04-15-08, 11:04 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

As for the pictures, the more I think about it, I did take the pictures before they had a chance to warm up. I can assure you that they look much more like a crisp white vs. the blue in the pictures. They are from XD.

Tightlinez, I love the HID's and have had no problems with them thus far. The installation is not difficult at all. The most difficult part is finding a place to put the boxes, but there are spots on both sides of the vehicle. The 5000k look like they belong on the car and I do not believe they void any warranties.
Old 04-15-08, 12:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Take another pic for us please after the HID warms up, usually about a min or 2. I had the McCullon 5000K kit on my old GX and it was much whiter than yours, less blue. I just want to compare the colors between the 2 kits. I also had the PIAA extreme white LED in my running board but they werent bright enough, so I took them off and put them in the parking lights, same size. I ended up using MTEC tinted bulb on the running board, not as white but much brighter.
Old 04-15-08, 12:46 PM
tightlinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonCANES
As for the pictures, the more I think about it, I did take the pictures before they had a chance to warm up. I can assure you that they look much more like a crisp white vs. the blue in the pictures. They are from XD.

Tightlinez, I love the HID's and have had no problems with them thus far. The installation is not difficult at all. The most difficult part is finding a place to put the boxes, but there are spots on both sides of the vehicle. The 5000k look like they belong on the car and I do not believe they void any warranties.
This is what you got right? >>LINKY<<
Old 04-15-08, 02:14 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Yes, those are them. I bought two sets for the lows and fogs.
Steve (@ XenonDepot.com) is a sponsor of this forum and a great guy to work with.
Old 05-14-08, 04:37 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Hey guys,

So the mods never end...or do they...well for now they don't and I was inspired by the new Audi's with this one... Tell me what you think...there are more pics at shutterfly and videos at youtube!

As for the mods, I added chrome strips to the lower grills to match the top, then I bought LED strips which were placed into custom plastic stencils. I then drill pressed the holes and places the LED strips into the holes and attached them to the back of the lower grills.

The lower grill lights are on with my DRL's and turn signals. Then at night, the LEDS are off, but still work as my turn signals.... they look stock, but a really nice mod!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...3YsnJQ&notag=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_YMPxpXIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ao7wM70eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muT2hUkq_Sk - alarm

Last edited by JasonCANES; 05-14-08 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 04:56 PM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo Buddy lookin nice!

What did you use for the chrome grill part? Where did you get the LED strip? How did you wire it?

Cmon, give us more info...

Not that I would do the same thing per say, but I think its fun to get actual progress pics of the pieces and see how you built the actual units.
Old 05-14-08, 07:14 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

^ Videos now posted.

So, the chrome strips - so easy! Head on over to your local Pep Boys and purchase chrome trim guard (L-shaped). You will need 3 door packs and simply cut the pieces to fit, clean the plastic grill with alcohol and remove the 3M tape...and stick! Should take about 30 minutes for the perfectionist. (You can probably save a few bucks by picking it up by the roll, but Pep Boys didn't carry the L shaped) The U shaped will not work.

As for the LED's, go to Oznium.com (shipping takes 2-3 days) and look at the Waterproof LED strips. Pick up FOUR WHITE 19" strips (Cut them to 14 inches and 13 3/4 inches). These are made for 12V, so it is a two wire application (ground and power). You are going to tap directly to the negative on the battery and directly to the turn signals on the front. Oznium.com and I both suggest adding a fuse. ON THE RECORD, ADD A FUSE to both signals.

Then, the tricky part...you can probably just mount the LED's using glue/tie downs behind the grill, however I wanted that custom look and made stencils (using cardboard). Then, grabbed some black plastic and cut out the shape based on the cardboard stencil I made earlier. I then spray painted the plastic flat black. Next, took the LED strips and matched them on the plastic, made marks and used the drill press to make the holes. Then, stuck the LED strips through the holes, carefully glued them and mounted them. Then wired everything in. All and all, about 3 hours of work, but it turns heads, day or night.

On to the next mod...

Oh yeah, the LED turn signals came from autolumination.com. Make sure you pick up two resistors, otherwise you will get a fast blinker...check out the posting on DRL's (and check your local laws). Thank Cap too for being our guinea pig.

Last edited by JasonCANES; 05-15-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 05:41 PM
batmobl
Rookie

Very nice mods. Tastefully done.
Old 05-16-08, 07:08 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks great man! Thank you for taking the time to post.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the H11 5000k Xtreme HID kit =)
Old 05-19-08, 04:49 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking GX 470 over there, especially a black one.

Quick Reply: MY 2008 Sport Package w/ KDSS