GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Routine Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 11:04 AM
mhj202
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 Routine Maintenance?

I have a 2006 GX470 and have had it for 2 1/2 years now-- generally pleased with it but live in NYC and don't love the local dealer.

I have 21,000 miles on it and just brought it in for routine service- they charge $199 for the 25,000 mile service which is basic oil change and tire rotation which seems ridiculous but I just don't have the time to take to it anywhere else right now.

In any case, in addition to the routine service, they just called me and told me that they think I need another $600-800 of routine maintenance- $200 for alignment, $200-300 for fuel injector cleaning/maintenance and $200-300 for rear differential fluid service. Is this normal, typically required maintenance and are those costs even reasonable? The alignment doesn't shock me but if that's all, I'll probably try to find time to take it somewhere else since I haven't really been happy with this dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-08, 11:44 AM
schan1w
Driver

I would not do the extra "routine maintaince" Forget alignment unless you notice pulling to one side. The fuel injector cleaning is useless, even more so that you only have 21K miles. If you want to, just buy a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner and put it in your tank. My old lexus dealer use to add a bottle "Techron additive" every 15K. I forgot how much they charge, but I'm sure it was more than the $5 it cost at Walmart. Is $200-300 for just the rear diff? If you're doing to do the rear diff fluid, you might as well do the front diff and transfer case. I think $200-300 is about right for Lexus dealers to charge for the 3 fluids changes (rear, front, trans). It should be around 1-2 hr labor plus fluid. But you know that Lexus doesn't require those fluids to be changed under their "normal" schedule. It's usually done at 15K or 30K if you tow or go off-road. Might be good if you're going to keep the truck to do the change at 30K. If you don't plan to keep the truck for 100K miles, I'd say forget the diff and transfer case change.
Old 05-30-08, 06:58 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by schan1w
I would not do the extra "routine maintaince" Forget alignment unless you notice pulling to one side. The fuel injector cleaning is useless, even more so that you only have 21K miles. If you want to, just buy a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner and put it in your tank. My old lexus dealer use to add a bottle "Techron additive" every 15K. I forgot how much they charge, but I'm sure it was more than the $5 it cost at Walmart. Is $200-300 for just the rear diff? If you're doing to do the rear diff fluid, you might as well do the front diff and transfer case. I think $200-300 is about right for Lexus dealers to charge for the 3 fluids changes (rear, front, trans). It should be around 1-2 hr labor plus fluid. But you know that Lexus doesn't require those fluids to be changed under their "normal" schedule. It's usually done at 15K or 30K if you tow or go off-road. Might be good if you're going to keep the truck to do the change at 30K. If you don't plan to keep the truck for 100K miles, I'd say forget the diff and transfer case change.
Good advice. ^^ Also keep in mind that if you are going to use a fuel system cleaner such as Techron, be sure to add it only on the last couple tanks prior to an oil change because the combustion byproducts from the cleaner will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the viscosity of the engine oil over time.
Old 05-30-08, 09:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The alignment does not need to pull to one side, the front tires on these truck walk out over time creating more negative camber, think like dragging the inside of your foot, just look to make sure you have even tire wear on the front, rear tires are on a solid axle so nothing out of the ordinary should be going on back their.

Fuel injector cleaner is profit for the dealer, just make sure your MPG is consistent with your driving style so if and when MPG drops off you know, then a fuel injector service is recommended but at like 100k

Rear diff, my dealer told me not to change it until 60k, some advise to change it at 30k, see what the owners manual says and call around to other Lexus/Toyota dealers and see what they advise, my uncle told me to leave it until 90k
Old 05-31-08, 07:42 AM
mhj202
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. Ended up taking the advice and passing on the fuel injector service (haven't seen any decline in gas mileage lately) and passing on the rear differential service. Did take the alignment though since they said that the tire wear was starting to get uneven. Hoping to make these tires last until the end of the lease this December.
Old 06-01-08, 08:02 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mhj202
Thanks everyone. Ended up taking the advice and passing on the fuel injector service (haven't seen any decline in gas mileage lately) and passing on the rear differential service. Did take the alignment though since they said that the tire wear was starting to get uneven. Hoping to make these tires last until the end of the lease this December.
I don't advise doing the 30,000 mile service for the costs involved.
Old 06-01-08, 10:05 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I don't advise doing the 30,000 mile service for the costs involved.
With a 36/39 months lease, oil change and rotate tires, new air filter and maybe a new AC air filter
Old 06-02-08, 09:15 AM
shodog
Rookie

Default warranty issues

One thing to consider is if you decline the recommended services, you give Lexus ammunition to deny you warranty on parts if it was related to you declining the service.

I just recently had my 40K done which cost a lot for what you got. I had the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and rear diff fluid along with the coolant changed. Now that those are all in spec, if anything happens to those parts, it’s up to them to replace them under warranty. If I had declined those services, and anything happens, they could say that because I chose to not have those recommended services done, hey don’t have to honor their warranty.
Old 06-02-08, 10:46 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shodog
One thing to consider is if you decline the recommended services, you give Lexus ammunition to deny you warranty on parts if it was related to you declining the service.

I just recently had my 40K done which cost a lot for what you got. I had the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and rear diff fluid along with the coolant changed. Now that those are all in spec, if anything happens to those parts, it’s up to them to replace them under warranty. If I had declined those services, and anything happens, they could say that because I chose to not have those recommended services done, hey don’t have to honor their warranty.
Yes, as long as it's a service that is "recommended" by Lexus, and not something that the individual dealer dreamed up. They can't penalize you for not changing the fluids etc. ahead of schedule, only if you don't do them roughly by the time they are due per the factory service schedule.
Old 06-02-08, 10:58 AM
schan1w
Driver

Originally Posted by shodog

I'm not aware of Lexus having "recommended" services. They are either required or not required as part of the warranty coverage. Only dealers offer "recommended" services. So, as long as you do all the required maintaince, you're ok with respect to the warranty coverage. If you don't tow or go off road, transmission, front/rear diff, transfer case changes are not required. I'm not sure what year GX you have, but later models have Toyota super long life coolant which Lexus requires the change at 100K miles. Note that we're only talking about what's required for warranty coverage. Whether you want to do things on another schedule for your own peace of mind because you plan to keep the truck a long time is another matter all together.

I think this warranty thing is blown out of proportion. As long as you have documentation of the work you do (either DIY or 3rd party), Lexus has no basis to deny any coverage. The owner's manual states this clearly. But of course, Lexus and its dealers have no incentive to encourage this type of knowledge because then people wouldn't be paying $200 for an oil change.