GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looks like we're coming to an end

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 12:31 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow Dan great looking GX. Sorry you have to let it go. Hope your next car is just as nice!
Old 06-09-08, 04:33 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Personally, if you still like off-roading and want a unique car, then i would get Jeep Wrangler Rubicon or FJ Cruiser Trail Team Edition. The problem with sports car is that they are like the flavor of the month...they go out of style very fast. Wait 6 months and there will be something out there that is better and faster. You want to get something that won't be beat so quickly...won't fade out of style....

IMHO, the Rubicon is just plain cool. It is unique...you can go top down and look cool. You can go to a party with it. You can go to a fancy restaurant with it. Nothing on the horizon can beat it off-road. Resale value is very strong and reliability is pretty good (for an American car). The FJ CRuiser TTSE is another option...again, Toyota is only making 3200 of these, but thanks to rising gas prices, you can find one of the 3200 pretty easily. There will never be a FJ Cruiser that looks like the TTSE again since it's a one year special thing. BTW, with these two, i am sure that you can get a decent discount because of the high gas prices. And these two are more capable than your GX.

Don't make a mistake and get something that is appealing now and then you wish that you had something else 6 months from now. Think it over carefully.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-09-08, 06:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
The million dollar question... I can't decide! haha
I've been looking at:

IS350 (but it's auto)
G37 (it's a maybe)
350Z (maybe, but not sure if i want a 2 seater)
TL type S (meh, a lil boring)
09 TSX (I love everything about it, but it's slow)
STI (I think i'm leaning towards this, fast, handles, has decent cargo space, a lil ugly but i'll work some magic)

My GX has 63k miles

Dan
I am surprise there is no GS, AMG or BMW on your list.

I just traded in my GS 4 months ago and I got less than I wanted for it. Right now its a very tough time to try to sell a V8 truck.
Old 06-09-08, 07:07 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Sorry to hear you're leaving us Dan - you've been a very informative contributor to this forum. Good luck with your future ride.
Old 06-09-08, 10:01 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

wowitztai, the EVO X is a real beauty, but I don't trust Mitsu quality/reliability all that much. A close friend is a service manager at Mitsu, and he's told me many stories about VII, VIII, IXs that come in (mostly tranny issues).

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Don't make a mistake and get something that is appealing now and then you wish that you had something else 6 months from now. Think it over carefully.

Just my opinion.
I hear ya Thai, but this has been comin for a while. The Rubicon is nice but not my cup of tea, and the FJC ttse just doesn't tickle my pickle (almost too much of the same thing).

G Man, I LOVE the GS, but i think the IS suits me better (more sportier), and no bmw for me (although the 335i is tempting). I have many friends with
BMW's and everyone of them have had weird issues.
C63 AMG would be nice, but outta my price range.

Dan
Old 06-09-08, 10:50 AM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck Dan - that's a great looking GX you have. Please list your upgrades when you get a chance.

And for what it's worth - I also have a 350Z, and my wife drives a BMW 335i Sedan. Looking at your list of potentials, I think you would really miss out not including the 335. It came down between a IS350 and the BMW and in my humble opinion it really is an all around better performing, more rewarding automobile.

Good Luck,
Bob

'07 GX470 Blizzard/Ivory (ready for a wheel & tire upgrade)
'07 BMW 335i Sedan Red/Black Sport-Auto
'05 350Z Ultra Yellow NISMO CAI & Exhaust/19" Volk GT-C's/AP Racing big brakes
Old 06-09-08, 02:36 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

If you want to stick to cars, then why not the Pontiac Solistice (convert or coupe) and Saturn Sky Redline?? Or even a Miata?? These are once again more unique vehicles that don't fade with time.

The Lexus IS350 or BMW 335i are amazing cars...the best in it's class now. The problem is that there is always something out there that can match it or beat it in the very near future. Hell, just look at the Pontiac G8 GT (and upcoming sportier version)...it can nearly match IS350/335i straight line performance while being infinitely more practical (huge rear seats, huge trunk). The Mercedes C350 will probably get a new engine next year (as does the SLK)...i think that the new 3.5L V6 is going to make over 300 horses to be comparable to the IS engine. I am sure that the Infiniti G-sedan will get the 3.7L V6 pretty soon from the coupe version, esp. since the sedan is being outgunned by it's competitors. The Acura TL will soon get the 3.7L V6 in it's next redesign, which should be the next year or two.

At the price range of IS350/335i, you can get an Acura RL (2009) or the 2008 model at steep discount. The RL has the fancy (and cool) AWD system that is not avail on the other cars you mentioned. And it is the top-of-the-line car for Acura...unlike the IS/3-series which are the bottom end. In addition, the interior of the RL is far superior to the Lexus or BMW in materials and electronics. (I hear that the RL's BOSE is quite good.)

I would not buy the TL because it will be redesigned soon...in addition, it's ELS sound system is outdated compared to the current ELS systems (in TSX, RDX, MDX).

Good luck.

Last edited by tigmd99; 06-09-08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 10:30 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck Dan...you and your input will be greatly missed on this forum!

Take care and don't stop modding!!!

Old 06-11-08, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Whoa, sorry to see you leave Dan

You were the first one who post pictures regarding your offroading trips-ah love those pictures.

Wished could've done that at least one time

IS sounds good and I like the sky that tigmd99 recommended
Old 06-11-08, 10:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Best of luck Dan...you and your input will be greatly missed on this forum!

Take care and don't stop modding!!!
Never, once an enthusiast mod, they'll never stop.
Old 06-12-08, 06:38 PM
coldwiz
Driver School Candidate

Dan IMO you have the best looking GX I have seen. I was hoping to see more about the rear lift and future mods but oh well. Good luck to ya!

And I thought the Mitsu's were more reliable than the Subie's but I would gladly take either one!
Old 06-14-08, 10:40 PM
shodog
Rookie

I would stay far away from any Mitsubishi product simpley because their warranty service utterly sucks. We used to have an eclipse and it took 5 times bringing it in before they finally replaced the turn signal stalk. I could go on and on about other stuff also.
Old 06-27-08, 06:40 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry to see you go, Dan. You were a great GXer here.

Any decision on what you are getting? Have you tried to sell yet?
Old 06-30-08, 07:25 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
The million dollar question... I can't decide! haha
I've been looking at:

IS350 (but it's auto)
G37 (it's a maybe)
350Z (maybe, but not sure if i want a 2 seater)
TL type S (meh, a lil boring)
09 TSX (I love everything about it, but it's slow)
STI (I think i'm leaning towards this, fast, handles, has decent cargo space, a lil ugly but i'll work some magic)
Legacy spec-B (forgot to add this one too)

My GX has 63k miles

Dan
Good luck!

P.S. I think you're going to suffer from symptoms of quality withdrawl on most any of the above cars except the IS.
Old 07-02-08, 08:15 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for all the kind words everyone!

Originally Posted by SilverLady
So sorry to see you go, Dan. You were a great GXer here.

Any decision on what you are getting? Have you tried to sell yet?
Thank you SilverLady... I haven't tried selling yet (still de-modding) but I think i've narrowed it down to a Legacy GT spec B, or a 335i (i've caught the turbo bug)

Quick Reply: Looks like we're coming to an end