GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Considering GX – Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 06:57 AM
britrover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering GX – Newbie Questions

We are in the market for a SUV and the GX is on our list in addition to the X5. The X5 has better gas mileage but having owned the LX470 in the past I can vouch for the reliability of the Lexus products. With that said I do have a couple of newbie questions considering I am not familiar with the GX.

1.We are looking at the 2004 / 2005 year models. Is there a significant difference between the years in terms of options etc?

2. Is the navigation for these years CD based or DVD based?

3. I am not looking to race with this SUV but do you folks find the 235 hp sufficient. I think once we test drive the GX we will have a better feel but again I wanted to get your opinion.

4. Does the navigation option also include the integrated Bluetooth or not?

5. What are some of the issues I should have checked in the pre-purchase inspection? I have heard about the clunk issue …..will the Lexus dealer fix this at no charge as it is a apparent defect in the product.

6. What is the realistic gas mileage we can expect from the GX in city/highway? We plan on driving it conservatively and not with a heavy foot

7. Any other issues or facts you folks think I should be aware of that will help decide if the GX is right for us

Thanks for your input

Cheers
Old 07-02-08, 08:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX is a heavy truck, even the 05 270 hp engine is not sufficient in my opinion. I use to get 16-17 MPG 60% city.
Old 07-02-08, 09:15 AM
brickauto
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The GX is a heavy truck, even the 05 270 hp engine is not sufficient in my opinion. I use to get 16-17 MPG 60% city.
G Man, It's all relative right?

Compared to my Supra TT (sold and regretting everyday ), yes the GX is lacking in the bhp department but compared to my old Taurus wagon the GX is a bhp beast!

Britrover,

2. Is the navigation for these years CD based or DVD based? DVD

3. I am not looking to race with this SUV but do you folks find the 235 hp sufficient. I think once we test drive the GX we will have a better feel but again I wanted to get your opinion. I feel the power is ample in my 235bhp 2003 model

4. Does the navigation option also include the integrated Bluetooth or not?

5. What are some of the issues I should have checked in the pre-purchase inspection? I have heard about the clunk issue …..will the Lexus dealer fix this at no charge as it is a apparent defect in the product.Clunk addressed in TSB and covered under 7/70k powertrain warranty when I had my repaired

6. What is the realistic gas mileage we can expect from the GX in city/highway? We plan on driving it conservatively and not with a heavy foot for me it's 14-15 in the city, 18-19 on highway

7. Any other issues or facts you folks think I should be aware of that will help decide if the GX is right for usIf you are towing the earlier (03-04) factory hitches are rated low (5000lbs?) vs the newer hitch (7000lbs?)

Last edited by brickauto; 07-02-08 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 04:28 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can swing it, get the 05 GX. The extra 35 hp is nice to have and it still gets the same mpg rating as the 235 hp of earlier years 03-04.
Old 07-06-08, 09:45 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

The distinct difference between the 2004 and 2005 is 235 hp vs 265 hp as well as an increase in torque thanks in part to the VVT-i engine. There is not much if any gas mileage compromise for the increase in HP. As for gas mileage, around town I average 17 and I get 21 hwy, 22 wind aided

HP is more then adequet IMO, especially compared to other SUVs in its' class. I own a 2005 and it gets out of its' own way no problem. It pulls strong off the line and sadly for our IS250 it gives it a run for its' money (wife and I having a little fun)

With a towing capacity of 6500 lbs it's almost unbeatable in its' class. Now if you are after Range Rover Sport, X5 4.8is, Cayenne type speed this is not the truck for you, but then again I don't consider these SUVs "trucks" either. This is a true body on frame design giving the GX 470 superior off-road ability if you dare! More back seat room and sadly more 3rd row room then the X5 and I say sadley because the third row room in the GX is suitable only for someone the size of a 10 yr old.

Someone once described the GX as, "luxuriously utilitarian." I have owned my GX since new and it has been a great family truck. Love it and highly recommended.

Last edited by cssnms; 07-07-08 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-08-08, 11:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

ccnms, if u really want to have a little fun with the wife, buy her a IS350 The IS250 is a pretty sad excuse for a sport sedan IMO.
Old 07-09-08, 05:53 AM
cssnms
Racer

Well, you know what they say about opinions....
Old 07-09-08, 07:26 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gx470

My 05 with nav does have bluetooth capability
Old 07-09-08, 08:40 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by britrover
3. I am not looking to race with this SUV but do you folks find the 235 hp sufficient. I think once we test drive the GX we will have a better feel but again I wanted to get your opinion.
IMO the V8 is plenty powerful in the GX. For a vehicle of it's size and capability it is pretty quick off the line if you floor it. The GX (even with the older 235 hp non-VVTI engine) finished "on the podium" in the performance categories such as 0-60 and 1/4 mile in this old Car & Driver comparo from 2003:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...w-touareg.html

And while the detailed stat chart from the above article isn't reflected in the online version, I have the hard copy at home and if I recall correctly the GX actually finished in FIRST place for 0-30 accelaration, presumably due to it's excellent low end torque and gearing.

Being that quick 0-30 can lead to some surprising results in impromptu stop light drags with cars that would seemingly be much faster I toasted a newer 7 series BMW in my GX - I nailed the start and he was not able to overtake me until after I had already let off the gas at 60. Normally I don't do that sort of thing but the guy was driving like an @$$ so I felt compelled to show him what the GX could do
Old 07-09-08, 11:54 AM
pump142
Driver

not sure how anyone can say the GX motor is under powered.
Wife & I travel with a kid and 3 dogs and a ton of crap and even put a hitch mount cargo box on the back and that thing flies up mountains at 85 without even trying and I still get 18 mpg doing it.
(2006 GX)
Old 07-09-08, 01:24 PM
cssnms
Racer

Gator, great article on the GX, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-10-08, 10:12 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X5 has better gas mileage :confused:

We are in the market for a SUV and the GX is on our list in addition to the X5. The X5 has better gas mileage but having owned the LX470 in the past I can vouch for the reliability of the Lexus products.
Are you sure that X5 gets better gas mileage? Are you comparing an X5 with 3.0L, 4.4L, or 4.8L? Gotta compare apples with apples

I have 2 friends with an X5 - one with 3.0L and one with 4.4L. Both complain about low MPGs; granted they live in NY and drive mostly in the city. Last year we took a 3 hour trip, we had 2 X5s, Range Rover, Durango, Grand Cherokee, and our GX. GX had the best fuel economy of the trip. I do not recall the exact number, but is was slightly above 20.

We average 16.2 mpg, with about 50% highway driving.

Check out this link to get a better idea of X5 gas mileage.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...e=BMW&model=X5

Good luck.
Old 07-11-08, 07:00 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

6. What is the realistic gas mileage we can expect from the GX in city/highway? We plan on driving it conservatively and not with a heavy foot
I have a 2003 and pretty satisfied with the HP and torque. It's been great on long hauls and climbs steep hills pretty well, so I have no complaints. My wife's GS400 wipes it up for off the line acceleration, but the GS4 would be a pretty pathetic sedan if if didn't.

My gas mileage has been averaging 17.5 with mostly city driving. On the long stretches of highway, I've been getting around 21. Just last month, we loaded up the beast with a heavy bike rack, four mountain bikes, four people and all the gear we could possibly stuff in the back and headed from Phoenix, AZ to Big Bear CA. The average mileage for the whole trip was 16.9, but that included a lot of climbing, both up to Big Bear @ 9 or 10,000ft and trips back and forth to the trails. With the truck fully loaded, we still got 20mpg on the highway, so not a lot of difference with the added weight.

All mileage calculations were done by hand and not the NAVI system, so they are accurate.
Old 07-11-08, 08:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by rj4510
All mileage calculations were done by hand and not the NAVI system, so they are accurate.

Curious how your manual calculations compared with the mileage stated by the computer.
Old 07-12-08, 04:55 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Curious how your manual calculations compared with the mileage stated by the computer.
In the past I had an 05, then an 06 and now an 07 GX. All were purchased new.
The in dash mpg computer in all 3 almost always read 1-2 mpg higher than the manually figured mpg.

Quick Reply: Considering GX – Newbie Questions