GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Jump starting the GX

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 11:32 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jump starting the GX

My friend has a fairly new GX < a year old, but they rarely ever drive it. This past weekend, he had to go pick up some friends at the airport, but the car wouldn't start. Tried hooking it up to a huge truck, similar to a ford f350 or so i believe. No go. Hooked it up to a red top optima to jump, and still no go.

I know its not a dead battery cell because tow truck came out before and it started after several attempts and half an hour, lol.

So how do you guys usually jump start the GX? Didn't know it could be so hard to jump start this car.
Old 07-22-08, 04:53 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know there is something strange with the GX’s electrical system. When I bought mine the guy who did the new car prep left the doors open all night and the battery was dead when I picked it up. They tried to jump it but it would not start. They actually had to leave it on a charger for about 15-20 minutes before jumping it then it worked. Very strange. I think it has something to do with the stock battery. It will onlly take a charge at 2amp with my battery charger, anything higher and it will not charge.
Old 07-22-08, 05:19 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I know there is something strange with the GX’s electrical system. When I bought mine the guy who did the new car prep left the doors open all night and the battery was dead when I picked it up. They tried to jump it but it would not start. They actually had to leave it on a charger for about 15-20 minutes before jumping it then it worked. Very strange. I think it has something to do with the stock battery. It will onlly take a charge at 2amp with my battery charger, anything higher and it will not charge.
that sucks, there goes your new car smell.
Old 07-22-08, 07:31 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio

They actually had to leave it on a charger for about 15-20 minutes before jumping it then it worked. Very strange.
It may have been that the jumper cable wires were too small.

In my younger days, I would park the jumper car nose to nose, (when we had chrome bumpers) then use both cables as the Positive Cable.

~ Cap
Old 07-22-08, 09:29 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The size of the other vehicle is unimportant. A Yugo with a working charging system will jump a GX or other 12v vehicle.

Also keep in mind that the negative clamp on the vehicle getting jumped should not be placed on the battery as a diode in the alternator or other electrical failure could occur. On a vehicle that depleted it is always best to disconnect the battery and charge it up. Not always the best possible solution if stranded.
Old 07-22-08, 09:41 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iKenn
that sucks, there goes your new car smell.
Surprisingly it still had the new car smell but I was not happy about it! I am still on the original battery but will probably change it before this winter, the charge “eye” has never worked. The delivery coordinator was really mad and chewed the prep guys out.
Old 07-22-08, 09:45 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The charge eye is only testing one of 6 cells in the battery and only indicates the charge status of the one cell. If the battery has a bad cell elsewhere the eye will not reflect this.
Old 07-23-08, 04:57 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The charge eye is only testing one of 6 cells in the battery and only indicates the charge status of the one cell. If the battery has a bad cell elsewhere the eye will not reflect this.
Thanks for the info, I did not know that. I will just have it changed the next oil change which should be in the fall, better than being stranded in the winter. Murphy's law always seems to follow me.