GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Questions about our key

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 06:08 AM
shodog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about our key

The plastic case on one of my keys has shattered. I see on ebay that you can buy blanks. My question is where is the RFID chip? Is it in the metal of the blade or is it in the remote entry part of the key?
Old 07-29-08, 09:35 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shodog
The plastic case on one of my keys has shattered. I see on ebay that you can buy blanks. My question is where is the RFID chip? Is it in the metal of the blade or is it in the remote entry part of the key?
The entire electronic portion can be switched from key to key by unscrewing and removing the cover (at least that's how it was on '03 models). I had the same problem that you describe so I bought a blank from an e-bay seller in the UK. Even delivered to Florida it cost a tiny fraction of what my dealer wanted (and the e-bay one is genuine Lexus/Toyota). I then took both keys to a local locksmith who can cut the channel type keys (you'll have to look for one who can, and won't rip you off for the procedure). Bottom line was that I had about $40 in my new key vs. a TON from the dealer (I don't recall exactly what the dealer wanted but it was outrageous).
Old 07-29-08, 12:12 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The chip DOES reside in the plastic portion of the key, so if you broke the plastic part you are SOL. You can buy a new key on ebay, but the only problem is that starting with '06 (not sure, but maybe someone can correct), the only way to program a new key is via dealers diagnostics computer, so you have to pay them anyway. Open door, close door, open window, etc. procedure for programming the key is no more. It still may be cheaper than buying the new key from the dealer AND having them program it to the vehicle for you.
Old 07-29-08, 12:50 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsobol
The chip DOES reside in the plastic portion of the key, so if you broke the plastic part you are SOL. You can buy a new key on ebay, but the only problem is that starting with '06 (not sure, but maybe someone can correct), the only way to program a new key is via dealers diagnostics computer, so you have to pay them anyway. Open door, close door, open window, etc. procedure for programming the key is no more. It still may be cheaper than buying the new key from the dealer AND having them program it to the vehicle for you.
His profile says he has an '04, so he should be good to go with what I did.

Are you saying that the '06+ (or some year) are not designed in such a way as to allow you to move the guts from key to key like you could with the earlier models?
Old 07-29-08, 02:04 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
His profile says he has an '04, so he should be good to go with what I did.

Are you saying that the '06+ (or some year) are not designed in such a way as to allow you to move the guts from key to key like you could with the earlier models?
If the remote part is intact, that may work. But, if the whole plastic part is in pieces ...... that becomes a problem.
Old 07-30-08, 06:49 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsobol
If the remote part is intact, that may work. But, if the whole plastic part is in pieces ...... that becomes a problem.
Yes, if the electronics have been destroyed -- run over, crushed in a door, etc. -- then he can't do what I did. But it sounds like his plastic case may simply be broken, so he should be able to do what I did if he wants to save the bucks.

BTW, the European plastic key is reportedly stronger, and from what I could tell by comparing mine, it seems so. The US case seems to flex more than the European one.